• May 23rd, 2012 11:25 am
Tags:
None
Nov 22, 2010
19 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

How to get Samsung to fix my TV?

Hi, my parents 40" LCD TV from samsung won't turn on. We got it about 2 or 3 years ago for an Xmas present for them, and now it just clicks when you power it on and the power light just flashes red. I'm sure this is the infamous capacitor problem that the recent class action suit was about.

The model of LCD TV is "LNS4041DX/XAA", and looking at this document http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsett ... Notice.pdf it's listed right there at the top as one of the affected models. The "MFD Date" is May 2006.

I just called Samsung customer support and spoke to 3 different people about it. The first one the phone mysteriously went silent after I explained the problem, and they never called back. The second one, after I explained the problem, he said his system was not working, and that I need to call back..?

And the 3rd person I talked too said that the model number isn't in the list of affected devices they will fix. I asked him to double check the affected models, and he said he did, and it's not in the list. But I can see it, right there at the top of the pdf document from samsung's website that I was staring at during the call. Because this was in the U.S., I'm assuming it doesn't apply to Canadians then? Is there anything Canadian customers can do?

(Yes, I know I can buy a repair kit for cheap, and will do that if getting them to fix it fails)
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
7945 posts
1399 upvotes
Toronto
MackDad wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 5:08 pm
Hi, my parents 40" LCD TV from samsung won't turn on. We got it about 2 or 3 years ago for an Xmas present for them, and now it just clicks when you power it on and the power light just flashes red. I'm sure this is the infamous capacitor problem that the recent class action suit was about.

The model of LCD TV is "LNS4041DX/XAA", and looking at this document http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsett ... Notice.pdf it's listed right there at the top as one of the affected models. The "MFD Date" is May 2006.

I just called Samsung customer support and spoke to 3 different people about it. The first one the phone mysteriously went silent after I explained the problem, and they never called back. The second one, after I explained the problem, he said his system was not working, and that I need to call back..?

And the 3rd person I talked too said that the model number isn't in the list of affected devices they will fix. I asked him to double check the affected models, and he said he did, and it's not in the list. But I can see it, right there at the top of the pdf document from samsung's website that I was staring at during the call. Because this was in the U.S., I'm assuming it doesn't apply to Canadians then? Is there anything Canadian customers can do?

(Yes, I know I can buy a repair kit for cheap, and will do that if getting them to fix it fails)

Maybe start with a call/letter to one of the governmental consumer agencies, probably best to start with Federal. Ask them if an American class action suit has any enforceable rights in Canada. Probably not, but worth checking. You could also ask them if there are any formal recalls for these Samsung TV's, or if they have received prior complaints here in Canada. You could also try contacting Samsung from here on out in writing. They can hang up on you, they can delay on the phone, but by mail/Email you will have a record of your correspondence and their replies, or lack thereof. Worst case you could sue in small claims court, using the US evidence, or threaten Samsung that you will begin a Canadian class action suit, to get them to co-operate. You could begin that with a thread(s) in Canadian AV Forums asking for anyone who has experienced premature Samsung failure to post model and expiry date ;) They might not like all that attention, and want to get rid of you.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
MackDad wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 5:08 pm

6 years of use and you expect them to pay for the repair? you should have bought an extended warranty or if you used your credit card check to see if there is any extended warranty privileges on it.
the price of these LCD have come down and you can pick up a new one for 5 bills. :D
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
4927 posts
895 upvotes
If it is indeed a capacitor issue and it's one of the models that were affected by the wrong use of caps, Samsung will fix it free of charge, even if it's out of warranty. Happened to me a few months ago.

I don't remember if I e-mailed them or if I just called Samsung's service center, but I definitely didn't call Samsung directly. I'm pretty sure I just called my local Samsung service center. They came and replaced them with quality japanese chemicon caps. I was about to do it myself as it seems easy enough to do (just search youtube) but I found out that they repair this for free.

It's possible your set doesn't qualify as yours is much older than mine (46A650 from 3-4 years ago).
Dec 23, 2006
806 posts
50 upvotes
Oshawa
packardbell wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 6:18 pm
6 years of use and you expect them to pay for the repair? you should have bought an extended warranty or if you used your credit card check to see if there is any extended warranty privileges on it.
the price of these LCD have come down and you can pick up a new one for 5 bills. :D

Clearly you did not read. They bough the television 2-3 years ago for a gift so it is 2-3 years of use. The television itself was manufactured in 2006 and thus sat in a store's inventory for 2-3 years prior to being sold. And regardless the whole pointless of the lawsuit is for televisions that were manufactured with defective capacitors prior to December 31st, 2008 (which the OP's television was).

This is of course assuming the item was bought brand new by the OP.

I had similar problems with Samsung a few years back when my plasma television was one of the models that suffered from the for lack of a better word "strobe" effect (the screen would brighten then darken, particularly on shows with static backgrounds: news, talk shows, etc.). The fix was supposed to be changing out one of the boards, but after multiple calls and getting the run around I said to hell with it.

Mind you I still buy Samsung televisions/monitors today. I have never had a program with any of my Samsung computer monitors, and my new 55" LED I am content with (some stuck pixels and clouding I can live with).

Hopefully you can press the issue and get them to fix the problem given the product is on the list of defective products.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11057 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
idiotcanuck wrote:
May 22nd, 2012 5:54 pm
Maybe start with a call/letter to one of the governmental consumer agencies, probably best to start with Federal. Ask them if an American class action suit has any enforceable rights in Canada. Probably not, but worth checking. You could also ask them if there are any formal recalls for these Samsung TV's, or if they have received prior complaints here in Canada. You could also try contacting Samsung from here on out in writing. They can hang up on you, they can delay on the phone, but by mail/Email you will have a record of your correspondence and their replies, or lack thereof. Worst case you could sue in small claims court, using the US evidence, or threaten Samsung that you will begin a Canadian class action suit, to get them to co-operate. You could begin that with a thread(s) in Canadian AV Forums asking for anyone who has experienced premature Samsung failure to post model and expiry date ;) They might not like all that attention, and want to get rid of you.

Unfortunately, settlements negotiated by Samsung are on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis and the U.S.A. settlement cannot be used to force Samsung into fixing the tv. As far as I know, there were no Canadian recalls for this problem.

I'm surprised that the Samsung techs were so unco-operative.

I started a thread about it here: http://f.redflagdeals.com/showthread.ph ... 352&page=1
× < >