Computers & Electronics

How to get a stronger connection from wireless router?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2007 1:54 am
Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2006
750 posts

How to get a stronger connection from wireless router?

I jsut bought a D-Link Wireless-G Starter Kit (DWL-922C) today and set up the wireless router. I use the laptop in my room while the main computer is in the living room. I only live in a small apartment but the network connection is indicated to be "poor"
I never dealt with setting up networks before so I'm noob so any suggestions on how I could get a stronger connection?

Also the kit came with a wireless G USB adapter, I have no idea what that is, am I supposed to install that too?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6523 posts
661 upvotes
BC
The easiest thing to try is to try it on channel 1 or channel 11 and see if that helps (channel 6 is default on everything and since so few people bother changing it there's usually a lot of noise on that channel). Be sure it's not near any sources of EM radiation such as CRTs, Microwaves, 2.4GHz phones, etc. Place it as high up as you can, and as centrally located in your house as you can manage.

The USB adapter isn't needed if your laptop already has wireless built-in, but could be handy if you want to make your desktop(s) wireless.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
750 posts
thanks Kwirky, that helped a bit...
BTW, what's Wireless Radio , 802.11g Only Mode and SSID Broadcast?
Mar 23, 2006
486 posts
4 upvotes
wireless radio is your wireless signal... don't know why they call it a radio :confused: . disabling that will disable your wireless signal, so you don't want to do that.

802.11g only mode refers to the fact that your router can do both b/g (i presume b is the second), and you could limit it to only the g bandwidth (someone correct me, my concept of this is fuzzy)

SSID broadcast is when your router is "broadcasting" its name out. you will want to disable this, so less people can see your router (i.e. increase your wireless security). since you know the SSID of your router and the password, its not really necessary to broadcast the name out for other people...
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2682 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
ritsbits wrote:
Sep 6th, 2007 10:18 pm
wireless radio is your wireless signal... don't know why they call it a radio :confused: . disabling that will disable your wireless signal, so you don't want to do that.

802.11g only mode refers to the fact that your router can do both b/g (i presume b is the second), and you could limit it to only the g bandwidth (someone correct me, my concept of this is fuzzy)

SSID broadcast is when your router is "broadcasting" its name out. you will want to disable this, so less people can see your router (i.e. increase your wireless security). since you know the SSID of your router and the password, its not really necessary to broadcast the name out for other people...
802.11g mode means it will only allow the network to run with clients that have 802.11g capability.

It's not necessary to disable SSID broadcast. In fact, it's not really a good idea. It offers no real security benefit and it really is just more of an inconvenience if he ever wants other computers to connect to the network.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
750 posts
I want to be safe but everytime I disable the SSID Broadcast, I can't connect my laptop to the router. The only way I can connect my laptop wirelessly with my home internet is if I enable SSID Broadcast.
Am I doing something wrong?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
2682 posts
222 upvotes
GTA
its_johne wrote:
Sep 7th, 2007 1:31 am
I want to be safe but everytime I disable the SSID Broadcast, I can't connect my laptop to the router. The only way I can connect my laptop wirelessly with my home internet is if I enable SSID Broadcast.
Am I doing something wrong?
Just leave it on. Like I said, it offers no real security benefit. Use WPA encryption with a good, long password to secure your wireless.
[OP]
Jul 4, 2006
750 posts
Dave98 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2007 1:48 am
Just leave it on. Like I said, it offers no real security benefit. Use WPA encryption with a good, long password to secure your wireless.
Okay Thanks.
× < >