Computers & Electronics

How to get TV connection in a room without any cable wiring?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2012 2:40 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 1, 2011
594 posts
146 upvotes
Ajax

How to get TV connection in a room without any cable wiring?

Hi Guys,

I want to add a TV in my guest room, but unfortunately I have no cable hooked up there.
I never thought of adding that upgrade when I bought my new house 4 years ago :mad:

The guest room is on the second floor,and I don't see any way of getting cable in there without drilling my outside wall or taking off an existing dry wall.
I do have a cable connection in my office on the second floor; the guest room is acrross the hall, and to run the wires from there will be ugly and messy

I found some solution on Amazon.com with Video Sender/Receiver, but are they any good??? Would I be able to control the channels in independently on both TV

http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-NY-GS3200- ... 344&sr=1-3

Any suggestions are much appreciated
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
Any near by air return ducts?

I don't mind drilling through exterior walls. I've done it several times before. Though they were 20 and 30 year old homes. A 4 year old home, you may feel is too "mint" to start putting holes into.
This space for rent
Jun 1, 2011
594 posts
146 upvotes
Ajax
Mr Nobody wrote: Any near by air return ducts?

I don't mind drilling through exterior walls. I've done it several times before. Though they were 20 and 30 year old homes. A 4 year old home, you may feel is too "mint" to start putting holes into.

True.... It doesn't feel right to start punching hole in a 4 year old home
Jul 14, 2005
673 posts
154 upvotes
The the 2nd floor the top floor? attic? - run a cable from the office up an inside wall, go across to the other room, back down another inside wall or closet.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2004
1172 posts
44 upvotes
Markham
if your upstairs is carpeted you can split the signal in the office and run and hide the cable along the baseboard and underneath the hallway carpet. That's what I did.
Oct 6, 2007
253 posts
38 upvotes
Burlington
Do you really need cable in the guest room, or would any media entertain? Reason I ask, is I would suggest wireless bluray like the samsung bd-5700. You can then share movies, tv shows, music via your pc, or surf the net or use netflix. I have one on all 3 floors. Great device.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12015 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Are you sure there is no cable there? Most builders are wise enough to put a cable and phone jack in every bed room.
dmyvr wrote: The the 2nd floor the top floor? attic? - run a cable from the office up an inside wall, go across to the other room, back down another inside wall or closet.

This is the best solution. Go to the master, in the walk in closet, you should find access to the attic. Drop a cable into the guest room from there using a split from the office.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4368 upvotes
Winnipeg
if your main box is in the basement run a line thru your cold air return if you have one in your room would be the easiest.
Jun 1, 2011
594 posts
146 upvotes
Ajax
RabidRich wrote: Do you really need cable in the guest room, or would any media entertain? Reason I ask, is I would suggest wireless bluray like the samsung bd-5700. You can then share movies, tv shows, music via your pc, or surf the net or use netflix. I have one on all 3 floors. Great device.

yes, I do need cable. I should be more specific, the guest room will be now occupied on a permanenr basis ;)
Jun 1, 2011
594 posts
146 upvotes
Ajax
gur3000 wrote: If you want to avoid running lines and go completely wireless, you can use this...http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

I got this running from my basement to my bedroom and it works great. The IR extender does not work very well though. I ended up getting this for that:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Expensive but no wires right

This looks interesting, but a bit expensive. This might be my only option right now
How is the picture quality on this?
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
My "cable" TV comes in through Ethernet, to a decoder box. So just using a wireless bridge shouldn't be a big problem (although I admit, I've never tried it).
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Mr Nobody wrote: Any near by air return ducts?

I believe using ducts for any type of cable is not allowed under our Building Codes. It has to do with fire resistance of the cable insulation, noxious fumes, etc. While it's unlikely that anybody would pick you up on it, insurance might not like it if you ever had to make a claim - any excuse to invalidate a claim :evil:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)