May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

How to grow these hot peppers?

And what are they exactly?

[IMG]http://powerthings.com/pics/hotpeppers.jpg[/IMG]

Pepper C is a Jalapeno - I know because I purchased that from the store

Pepper D was labeled as "hot peppers" but it looks more like a Yellow Habanero to me in shape but it could be a Scotch Bonnet too - dont know exactly. Again purchased from a store.

Pepper A was given to me as a gift. The peppers grow in a small tight bunch and they grow upwards. The plant gives these tiny little white flowers too. Anyway it might be ornamental but I decided to try one and it was pretty freaking hot.

Pepper B was given to me as seeds from someone... dont even know what they are and I cannot contact them to ask. The peppers grow about the size of a Jalapeno or a tad larger. The flesh is exactly the flavour of a red bell pepper with heat in it - but not very hot until you hit the white fleshy part or seed and then its insane. The plant looks almost like a bell pepper plant. Fruit hangs down when growing.

So whats the best way to grow peppers? I've gotten lucky that I've got two plants but they dont seem 100% healthy. Seem a bit weak and dont give that much fruit. I have them inside by a window but maybe thats not enough light. As far as water, this might sound kinda gross but I actually use water from my aquarium. I think that did the most help over anything.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
A couple people here in the office grow peppers (I know I've had the one labelled A from them), and they just grow them in a sunny window with good light.

I've also grown the Jalapeno outside in my garden. I just planted it, watered it once, and it gave me 3-4 peppers (Don't know if that's a good yield for one plants or not).
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1104 posts
372 upvotes
Hot peppers are pretty easy to grow. I have grown them outside in the garden and inside the house

Sunny window is best for the inside. The theory is that u should water them as little as possible if you want them to be hot.

There are so many varieties, it is often hard to identify.

Pepper A (the ornamental one) sounds like the plant u can buy at the corner store. Looks pretty but is more or less ornamental. I see no reason why you couldn't eat them if they have a nice flavour.

Also remeber to harvest some peppers green if u desire. Most hot peppers will eventually turn red as they ripen.

Have fun
Banned
Sep 21, 2005
2816 posts
They are easy to grow. I'm a n00b and look at how my first garden turned out.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=228319

D is definately harbenaro or scotch bonnet. Both are very similar. I planted those as well but I didn't get any pictures because they take the longest to mature and I was too lazy during end of season.

A is NOT ornamental. Those are the tiny hot peppers you eat at Vietnamese restaurants. I don't know the exact name of them but they grow pointing upwards towards the sky. Very nice plants and can be grown indoors.
Little Boy Blue. He needed the money.

Oh!
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4995 posts
2427 upvotes
Markham
i ate the small one on a dare at vietnamese restaurant and my lips were on fire

Since then i've tried hard to convince others to try for my viewing pleasure :twisted:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)