Travel

How to guess water temperature in Lakes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 12:11 pm
[OP]
Oct 17, 2015
202 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How to guess water temperature in Lakes?

I am not sure if there is some sort of generic rule to guess water temperature in lakes like Simcoe or at Wasaga Beach.
I know it depends on lots of variables. But there must some sort of guesswork one can apply - for example -If day / night temperature has been consistently 30/20 for three consecutive days then lake water temperature is likely to be 5 degrees less in 4th day afternoon.
How do you guys decide which days are best so far as warm water temperature is concerned?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4634 posts
2485 upvotes
I am old school...

Plus I grew up in Countryside... where we swam in Ponds, Creeks, Lakes & Rivers

Many either Spring water or Ice Melt fed

So, if it’s July or August, and a nice sunny day, and I happen to be at a beach or cottage... then I just go in the water

Not gonna worry a whole lot whether the water temp is 70, 80, or 90 F (20, 25, or 30 C)

IMO... too many city folks & pool wusses these days looking for bathtub temps.

This is Canada damn-it. Get with the program
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1298 posts
305 upvotes
Also, our lake we have a guy that lives all year round measuring the temperature of the lake but it is shallower where he is so our side of the lake is always colder because of the depth.
Good rule of thumb, if it is +30 and above outside, you will welcome the lake no matter what the temperature is.
Alex
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12670 posts
2256 upvotes
London
I think wind speed/ direction is a factor as it seems to move the "pools" or sections of warm water about.

For example, the water temperature can be perfect and the next day it can be cooler because the wind direction changed over night
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2455 posts
260 upvotes
Whitby
Measure before and then after - take the difference and add 50
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2438 posts
463 upvotes
Edmonton
AdsJoint wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:25 am
I am not sure if there is some sort of generic rule to guess water temperature in lakes like Simcoe or at Wasaga Beach.
I know it depends on lots of variables. But there must some sort of guesswork one can apply - for example -If day / night temperature has been consistently 30/20 for three consecutive days then lake water temperature is likely to be 5 degrees less in 4th day afternoon.
How do you guys decide which days are best so far as warm water temperature is concerned?
If it's nice outside and the water is not frozen, it's good to go. I been in water that's at 4 celcius and it gives you a good wakeup. But really, if it's warm out, just go jump in.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6218 posts
996 upvotes
Mississauga
If its warmer than the temperature of the beer you are drinking your good to go swimming.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4634 posts
2485 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:11 pm
If it's nice outside and the water is not frozen, it's good to go. I been in water that's at 4 celcius and it gives you a good wakeup. But really, if it's warm out, just go jump in.
Yes & No.

True if it’s July, August or even September

Not so much if it’s May or June.

The deeper the water the higher the risk... you’ll notice those crazy Polar Bear Swims in January tend to be more of a Run In vs a Dive In. For good reason

Mother Nature can be deceitful that way... people die every year getting into water too soon that is too cold. The human body gets hypothermia, or a wicked cramp... and folks drown.

Sailors know this... ones survival is actually higher in the Fall than the Spring, cause it takes Water a longer time to heat up than cool down.

Same reason many Scuba Divers wear wet suits until approximately Canada Day.
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jul 12th, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2438 posts
463 upvotes
Edmonton
PointsHubby wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:20 pm
Yes & No.

True if it’s July, August or even September

Not so much if it’s May or June.

The deeper the water the higher the risk... you’ll notice those crazy Polar Bear Swims tend to be more of a Run In vs a Dive In. For good reason

Mother Nature can be deceitful that way... people die every year getting into water too soon that is too cold. The human body gets hypothermia, or a wicked cramp... and folks drown.

Sailors know this... ones survival is actually higher in the Fall than the Spring, cause it takes Water a longer time to heat up than cool down.

Same reason many Scuba Divers wear wet suits until approximately Canada Day.
I been in water even in April. It's not warm but not roo bad. I mean you go in for a while and get used to it, and I mean your in for 14,20 minutes and not an all day thing like in July. I figure if it's warm enough to go outside and be at the lake/beach then it's warm enough to go use the water.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Oct 17, 2015
202 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sherman51 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:07 am
Good rule of thumb, if it is +30 and above outside, you will welcome the lake no matter what the temperature is.
It didn't work in May last year but i think i went in too early. July / Aug should be fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)