Personal Finance

How heavy is a bar of gold?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2006 9:38 am
Tags:
None
Newbie
Nov 7, 2005
83 posts

How heavy is a bar of gold?

I was wondering how many ounces a bar of gold (the one we see on TV) is? I was thinking of purchasing one but I guess it'll be a bit expensive as it probably is about 500g? Does anybody know?
26 replies
Sr. Member
May 13, 2004
905 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
A 500g bar of gold weighs 500g :)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14818 posts
1494 upvotes
I believe those are 12.5KG (400oz) bars... they'll cost you... ~$288000!!!

But you can buy smaller bars - 1oz is about 700.00 nowadays.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
A cubit centimeter of gold weighs 19.3g, so when you see those gigantic gold ingots on TV that are about 15x15x30cm, they would weigh 130kg.

Which is why everyone picks them up one-handed and tosses them around.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 20, 2005
947 posts
219 upvotes
deep wrote:A cubit centimeter of gold weighs 19.3g, so when you see those gigantic gold ingots on TV that are about 15x15x30cm, they would weigh 130kg.

Which is why everyone picks them up one-handed and tosses them around.
lol 130kg. Apparently the gold bar weighs more than the average human hahahahah. :-0

Anyway, they vary in sizes, the london weight is 12.5kg, they can weigh up to 32kg though.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
Yes, REAL gold ingots weigh anywhere from a few grams to a few kilos.

I thought the OP was asking about "TV" gold...where we see enormous bricks of gold lying around all the time.

edit: just checked, and even the largest bars around, those used at the gold reserve, are a mere 30lbs. They are just 17 x 9 x 4 cm. Compare that to the next gold bar you see in a movie.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
Adi_None wrote:I was wondering how many ounces a bar of gold (the one we see on TV) is? I was thinking of purchasing one but I guess it'll be a bit expensive as it probably is about 500g? Does anybody know?
Going to see if the suspensions on those Minis will hold up a la Italian Job? ;)
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4675 posts
48 upvotes
Local
How heavy do you think a bar of mercury filled inside the same volume size of a bar of gold would be?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
210 upvotes
john widow wrote:How heavy do you think a bar of mercury filled inside the same volume size of a bar of gold would be?
Mercury is only 70% as dense as gold.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 17, 2004
1444 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton
Whats with all of this talk of multi kg gold bars? I thought the most common size for gold bullions / bars was 10oz (~6500USD), but occasionally, people buy 1kg bars (~23,000USD).
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 7, 2005
83 posts
Tofu Drift Shinji wrote:Going to see if the suspensions on those Minis will hold up a la Italian Job? ;)
hey, that's my secret, don't tell anyone :P
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
19 upvotes
Sask
I'd always thought the typical 'TV' gold bars were 28 pounds
Banned
User avatar
Dec 29, 2005
2181 posts
2 upvotes
Oakville, with Ryan.
Whatever it ways?....
if you mean density then. Density is mass divided by volume.
Monday, April 10th 2006: Marks the day MuchMusic ruined themselves for years to come.
MOOD: Ready to get owned 7 ways from Sunday
Want to know all the Raptors Off Season Buzz..
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=278444
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2002
3569 posts
19 upvotes
Sask
deep wrote:A cubit centimeter of gold weighs 19.3g, so when you see those gigantic gold ingots on TV that are about 15x15x30cm, they would weigh 130kg.

Which is why everyone picks them up one-handed and tosses them around.
Ha ha, your decimal place must have jumped... I'm thinking 13 kg?
× < >

Top