Off Topic Archive

Locked: How high should pictures be hung?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2004 10:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 5, 2003
366 posts

How high should pictures be hung?

I have 3 10"x10" frames which I'll be hanging side by side about 6 inches apart. Is there a height that these should be hung at? I was thinking eye level, but what's eye level? 5'8"? 6'?
Share:
7 replies
Jan 24, 2004
400 posts
Ottawa, Ontario
I think it all depends on what you like... One way to determine it is, have somebody hold the picture where you'd like it. Take a good look and see if you like the picture in that position. Once you got it, mark it, place it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
it all depends.. check out where you think it/they look best.
i have pictures all different heights on my walls.

there really isnt a rule as to how high your pictures should be hung, anything goes
That's my 2cents worth
Jan 8, 2003
177 posts
its personal preference, if it's for your viewing then base it on your height and at eye level

not too high and obviously not too low, people like to have balance, think about other things near it like furniture and objects to balance the pictures with
[OP]
Jun 5, 2003
366 posts
Thanks everyone....I put them up. They look alright, but I think they're a little high. Oh well, I can't be bothered to move them for now.
Banned
Dec 7, 2003
1330 posts
I always put them around eye level and im 5'5 or i make one like 5'9 and the other at 5'5
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2003
1602 posts
132 upvotes
Vancouver
If it's a completely blank wall, I like to put pictures smack dab at middle height of the wall. I like the symmetry of floor to frame and frame to ceiling blank wall space.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
1170 posts
27 upvotes
Personally, I like to hang my pictures a little higher than eye level, this is because it gives the position of the picture some "motion". I find that if i were to hang something at eye level, what happens is that it tends to be at the middle of the wall and it even makes the picture look boring, by off setting it a little, it gives it some "motion". I dunno, I could be on crack though...
The engine is the plane's heart, but the pilot is it's soul
× < >