Off Topic

How... HOW can anyone fall for these job / bitcoin scams! (This person half-fell for it)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto

How... HOW can anyone fall for these job / bitcoin scams! (This person half-fell for it)

So, I work with someone who called me today asking what to do.. My response was immediately DO NOT TOUCH the money and call your bank right now.

So, he calls me slightly panicked today. Tells me his wife woke him up as someone from a job posting site with (unknown company name, it actually doesn't exist upon looking into it further while at work) e-mailed her from Russia offering her a job but she had to accept an e-transfer for verification, she would then have to buy bitcoin and then transfer that back to them.

So when he told me this I first asked if he bought BTC, he said no, so I told him that in a 1-3 days he would see that money in that account dissapear if he doesn't touch it and that if he buys and sends them the btc that his account would go into the negative for the amount he was sent because it would have been sent via a fraudulent. I then told him to call his bank and to tell them what happened. They told him he would have to go into the branch (or her) and they would figure it out there.

At work, he started getting calls from his wife saying they were calling her from multiple phone numbers from Hamilton and wherever else (probably all spoofed) saying that if she didn't send the BTC that they would call the police and all that. Apparently this went on for quite awhile this afternoon. She didn't give in from what I understand.

So she half fell for it, unless she has autodeposit on e-transfers setup then that's a different story. But HOW after so many warnings out there in the news do people even fall for this crap anymore. I also had to ask him why in the hell she would be dealing with someone from a completely different country fully knowing they're not going to move anywhere.

UPDATE: In the end she was fine, she didn't touch the money like I very adamantly explained and the bank took care of it.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Feb 8th, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2655 posts
575 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
thats true, they aint that bright.

also be aware a lot of people posting jobs on workopolis and all the other job sites but theyre FAKE COMPANIES and they get you to send your resumes to them and all they do is use it to spam you or steal your personal information, most people put a lot of info about them on their resumes like address, email, and employment history, they can easily fill in the missing peaces and you will have identity theft in no time
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6686 posts
1028 upvotes
Toronto
I would have backhanded that Bitc........oin.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
32 upvotes
What about the people that fall for CRA scam? Like the CRA would ask you to pay your debt with Apple gift cards...
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
Apparently more younger people are falling for these scams these days because they do not watch or read news where these scams are warned against Grinning Face
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
OP updated. Everything worked out fine.

Bank said it was likely money laundering.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3008 posts
698 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Get a smart wife lol
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9962 posts
1349 upvotes
Toronto
fboybcb wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 1:34 am
Get a smart wife lol
I wouldnt be surprised if it was my coworker in the end and not his wife
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5408 posts
642 upvotes
Calgary
fboybcb wrote:
Get a smart wife lol
I would not recommend this...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2038 posts
676 upvotes
Winnipeg
fboybcb wrote:
Get a smart wife lol
Found OP's colleague and his wife's conversation from a few years ago -

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7489 posts
1728 upvotes
Mississauga
Mr Bean wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 12:53 pm
Found OP's colleague and his wife's conversation from a few years ago -

Now that is funny.