Entertainment

How I Met Your Father (formerly How I Met Your Dad formerly HIMY Mother spin off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2017 2:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
412 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
nfnx wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 10:48 pm
only way to save this is to have crossovers ? perhaps characters that are friends with the original cast so they show up on the regularrr
Save what exactly?

There is no show, it hasn't even been casted, the pilot hasn't been written or picked up, there are no ratings, the only thing we know is the title. So just stop. You can't save what does not exist.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1235 posts
90 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 1:24 pm
Actually, there have been quite a few spinoffs that have been very successful: Frasier, Facts of Life, A Different World, The Simpsons, etc. Sure many of them fell flat, but success is hardly rare.

I do think this will fail though.
The fact that you only came up with 3 examples (Simpsons isn't a proper example of a spinoff) then I think that proves just how rare success is.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9680 posts
824 upvotes
prof_frink wrote:
Feb 4th, 2014 9:30 am
The fact that you only came up with 3 examples (Simpsons isn't a proper example of a spinoff) then I think that proves just how rare success is.
Seriously? Just because I name 3 doesn't mean those are the only 3 in existence. Or are those the only ones you know of? Google All in the Family or Happy Days and take a look at spin offs from those shows. Looking at only the successful spin offs from just those 2 shows, I just tripled my list. There a lot that you probably had no clue... like Family Matters was a spin off from Perfect Strangers. And these are just comedies... add everything else on TV, like dramas, reality TV, cartoons, etc and the list gets enormous.

And why isn't The Simpsons a "proper" spin off?
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
412 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/12/g ... t-your-dad

Say hello to your new How I Met Your Dad spinoff (yes, title is not How I Met Your Father anymore) lead, Greta Gerwig. A little trivia: my gf informs me she's done some nude films before in the past, for you pervs... :) Search for them at your own peril, obviously NSFW if you do.

[IMG]http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/w ... ig3245.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Movies/Pho ... -58016.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23313 posts
615 upvotes
Toronto
They should change the title to "Who's your daddy?". :D

They could've done a spinoff with the guys that Barney gave the Playbook to. Would've loved to see the playbook in action without following the Bro Code. Imagine both guys running separate plays on the same girl at the same time!!! Then by season season 4 when things get stale introduce the Bro Code! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7947 posts
340 upvotes
AzN_RiverdaleCI wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2014 9:53 pm
Get your predictions in! Cancelled after 1st season? Mid-season?
Pilot or less then 3 episodes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6412 posts
624 upvotes
Ill give it a chance. Theres lots of shows that sound good and end up being sht, and shows that sound bad that turn up to be a good surprise.

I met people who hate supernatural for example, but i like it and its got a huge following. Theres people who dont give 2 rats asses for firefly, yet they have a big fan base to this day. Same goes for the much maligned two and a half (lesbain) men, and so forth.

Ill judge it after a handful of episodes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6412 posts
624 upvotes
jenviea wrote:
May 14th, 2014 1:31 pm
Pilot was NOT picked up and show is dead at CBS.
There's always talk of another network but I doubt it'll happen.
http://time.com/99144/cbs-has-passed-on ... -your-dad/
Probably made the right decision then. The last episode of the series left a really bad taste in most people's mouth, so even if it was a mediocre soinoff, the networks are playing it safe.

This means another show will take its place. Lets see what they come up with.
Feb 21, 2012
229 posts
49 upvotes
Gananoque, ON
Thank god. CBS kills too many shows too fast anyway...it's better off on another network.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
412 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
bstevenhaagen wrote:
May 14th, 2014 1:57 pm
Thank god. CBS kills too many shows too fast anyway...it's better off on another network.
I think you're thinking of Fox.. ;)

CBS is one of the "safer" networks to follow a show.