Home & Garden

How important is "china/delicate" cycle, or "smart wash" in a dishwasher?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2006 10:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2006
313 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal

How important is "china/delicate" cycle, or "smart wash" in a dishwasher?

Debating between a kitchen aid appliance and a kenmore. The main difference being that the KA has a china cycle and the kenmore doesn;t have a china cycle but has a smart wash function (and of course price, with the kitchaid being at least 200 hundred dollars more.)
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2002
2397 posts
4 upvotes
People wash fine china and crystal in a dishwasher? I would never risk it.
Dec 25, 2002
634 posts
200 upvotes
I have a Kenmore. I use the smartwash cycle all the time. I don't use fine china (toddlers in the house) but when/if I do use it, I wouldn't put it in the d/w anyways.

Having said that I'm not a huge fan of my kenmore. The cutlery basket is falling apart (and at $50 to replace it I'm not going to) and it makes funky noises all the time that makes me think it's on it's last legs (it's 3 years old) When I end up having to replace it I'm going to seriously consider Bosch or Kitchenaid.

Kelly
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2538 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
kellya wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 8:25 am
I have a Kenmore. I use the smartwash cycle all the time.

Kelly
Smartwash?

I have a GE and I always use Normal. Is Smartwash the same as normal?
May 8, 2006
70 posts
I don't use either settings on my Kenmore dishwasher. The only two I've ever used are Normal Wash and Rinse. I was excited to use the Smart Wash option when I bought my machine but after reading the manual, saw that it used more water and energy than Normal Wash. I've never had a problem with Normal so I'm not quite sure how much better the Smart Wash option is... but that's just me being cheap as usual.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
967 upvotes
Niagara Falls
kitty darko wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 8:30 am
I don't use either settings on my Kenmore dishwasher. The only two I've ever used are Normal Wash and Rinse. I was excited to use the Smart Wash option when I bought my machine but after reading the manual, saw that it used more water and energy than Normal Wash. I've never had a problem with Normal so I'm not quite sure how much better the Smart Wash option is... but that's just me being cheap as usual.
Bingo! This is the case with the vast majority of dishwasher owners! When we bought a dishwasher for this house I insisted on the cheapy GE that HD sells for under $300 which also happened to be the most energy efficient as well. I've owned a dishwasher long enough in the past to know that all the fancy options never get used, so for us are absolutely not worth an extra penny more to me... Yep, I'm cheap too! :razz:
Jun 12, 2006
142 posts
1 upvote
I agree, but I do think that the extra money I spent was well worth it when I listen to how quiet my dishwasher is compared to my old one.
CSK'sMom wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 11:03 am
Bingo! This is the case with the vast majority of dishwasher owners! When we bought a dishwasher for this house I insisted on the cheapy GE that HD sells for under $300 which also happened to be the most energy efficient as well. I've owned a dishwasher long enough in the past to know that all the fancy options never get used, so for us are absolutely not worth an extra penny more to me... Yep, I'm cheap too! :razz:
Dec 25, 2002
634 posts
200 upvotes
pipolchap wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2006 8:28 am
Smartwash?

I have a GE and I always use Normal. Is Smartwash the same as normal?
no...smartwash supposedly continues cleaning until it senses that all the dirt is gone. I use it because I find with my machine it doesn't get clean using the normal setting.

Kelly
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6273 posts
64 upvotes
Etobicoke
Not important. I wash everything considered important by hand.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2835 posts
46 upvotes
only 2 settings I use in the 20yrs of dishwashers I have had. Regular wash and a light wash setting and thats it!!!