Off Topic

how important is it to show ur relationship status on fb?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2012 10:42 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 20, 2012
357 posts
31 upvotes
NORTH YORK

how important is it to show ur relationship status on fb?

If you were in a relationship, is it important to show that status on facebook? I talked to a girl and got into an argument about it.
51 replies
Oct 20, 2012
946 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Don't use FB, so got a question, does a status have to be shown or can you just not have one? If there's just no status, I don't see the big deal. Unless that bothers the person you're with, otherwise nobody else' business.

But if you're putting single, when you're not, then yeah that's a little shady. :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7104 posts
538 upvotes
Twoapplesnbanana wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:01 am
Don't use FB, so got a question, does a status have to be shown or can you just not have one? If there's just no status, I don't see the big deal. Unless that bothers the person you're with, otherwise nobody else' business.

But if you're putting single, when you're not, then yeah that's a little shady. :razz:
You can either show your marital/relationship status or not. If you do, there's an option to put "in a relationship" or an option to mention exactly who you're "in a relationship with" (if thye have Facebook too).

IMO, if you're bothering to show your relationship status, then yes, I'd say at least mention it.

Otherwise if you never show your relationship status in the first place, then that's fine too. I know lots of people who are in relationships and don't show their status at all on Facebook.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
1438 posts
49 upvotes
Twoapplesnbanana wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:01 am

You can private the information so no one sees.

I think when you first start dating the person (aka the honey moon stage) then maybe it would be a good idea to show it. My bf was more of a private person and I really didn't care if he had it showing or not because in the end I know we're together + we live together so it's not a big deal
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8516 posts
329 upvotes
I prefer not to show it at all whether single, in a relationship, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7104 posts
538 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:10 am
I prefer not to show it at all whether single, in a relationship, etc.
Same.
Nov 1, 2012
47 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I just want my friends to know what's going on with me
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
coolegg wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:56 pm
If you were in a relationship, is it important to show that status on facebook? I talked to a girl and got into an argument about it.
I guess theres 2 considerations...how important it is to you, and how important it is to her ;)

My advice : either set to private, or "its complicated" ;)
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2011
8516 posts
329 upvotes
karaqueen720 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:34 am
If they are good enough friends IMO they won't need facebook to know.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
3951 posts
80 upvotes
coolegg wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:56 pm
The more insecure she is the more important it will be.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2004
6704 posts
45 upvotes
Not important at ALL. It really should be an optional thing between couples and not viewed as a necessity. If you are private about your personal life, then she needs to respect that. There are only two valid questions at play here. Why won't you display it, and why does she need you to display it?

There really is no good valid reason that she can give that justifies the necessity of displaying your relationship status. At the end of the day, this is all about her irrational fears than it has anything to do with you. Is she so insecure that she needs everybody to know you are in a relationship? This has nothing to do with whether or not you have something to hide now or in the future - does she not trust you to say 'no' if someone new comes along the way? If her excuse is that she needs that security of her bf willing to display that status means she is insecure to begin with. I don't care if she's been screwed over or cheated on in her the past relationships, she shouldn't be bringing any of that baggage into the new relationship. The problem is her, not you.

If she admits to being insecure, then that's really something that she needs to deal with and not something you should cater to. You can support her and build up her trust for you, but believe me that her insecurity is not something you want to cater to. She will never actually learn to trust you if you just baby her and her insecurities. And if you give an inch, they'll take a mile. At this point she may say something that by not giving a crap about her insecure nature, you do not care about her. If she questions you, you can easily turn that back on her - so don't fall for that trap. You can show you care by building her trust and letting her learn to trust you.

Every secure woman whom I've met have unanimously agreed that your facebook status is unimportant. Every insecure girl I've met insist that displaying your status is important. Who are you going to listen to?
Innovatively Silent. :cool:

My Heatware (68-0-0) is under: Cafe_333

TR-Ultra120@TLF-S12-EW / Accelero S1 / Convection Spreaders
TLF-S12-EW@case / SP-FC70-BL / 5&7V / 120&PSU Vibration Gaskets
UC-A3FATR2-B / S12-430 / Precut Sonata Acoustic Dampeners
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
karaqueen720 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:34 am
No offense, but they dont care nearly as much as you think they do.
ppl that really would care, would find out other ways than FB.
FB is entirely superficial.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Unimportant. I don't see why others should know/care about my status. If they're close enough, they can text/whatsapp me to find out if there's anything new in my life.
Banned
Aug 8, 2012
1115 posts
83 upvotes
Dallas, Texas.
This is sad and why I left facebook so many years ago.
× < >