Shopping Discussion

This Is How Incompetent Employees Will Bankrupt A Company (Henry's)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2016 9:09 pm
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto

This Is How Incompetent Employees Will Bankrupt A Company (Henry's)

I just searched on the internet for a camcorder battery since my camera's battery is starting to act haywire and I Googled the model + Toronto area. Google gave me a link to Henry's (cameras). I searched my nearest store and called them. A woman picks up the phone and I asked about a Samsung camcorder battery and right off the bat, even before I finished speaking, she tells me "We don't carry Samsung batteries, go look at Amazon or Ebay and you might find it, have a nice day" but before she could hang up I inform her that she does carry them. She says "No we don't". Now I'm irritated and angry and tell her "I'm looking at the damn battery right now in your website, Henry's. You guys have it". She then asked me "At this location?. I tell her "Well you tell me what location Henry's has them and the website says on stock".

Then she says, "Oh that might be in our main warehouse then". I tell her "Why are you sending me to Amazon and eBay then"?. Then I hear keyboard clicking and she says "Yeah they have them at our warehouse, can I help you with anything else?" I tell her "Yeah I want to buy it, are you going to tell me how to get it before you hang up on me?". She then starts to mumble lazily that she can order it to their location and she is going to call me when it gets there possibly tomorrow or before friday.

So this nitwit was too lazy to type into the computer next to her if that battery was sold at Henry's or was in their stock before she sends me to Amazon or eBay? Jesus Christ. I will keep you guys updated if she indeed placed my order or if I ever get that phone call from her.
39 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Your attitude stinks, that's why you got no assistance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
She was trying to save herself the pleasure of dealing with you.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
It seems you were incompetent as to how to use the website stock level indicator, no matter how much they simplified it.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Your attitude stinks, that's why you got no assistance.
My attitude changed when I witnessed the incompetence of the employee, to the other guy that mentions here for me to watch for the low-stock level on the website, what that does have to do with her incompetence? As an employee of my company I know everything about it (that a customer should know), what models we have, what kind of jobs we do, what we can do and can't. I'm sure a McDonald's employee has to know what a Filet o' Fish combo is.
Apr 16, 2008
543 posts
566 upvotes
I agree with the OP, at least on the surface. The store could have checked stock for him before directing to eBay or Amazon. They are really killing their store if they direct everyone to the (IMO) more convenient competitor.
Who knows how or why this conversation took place, but I wouldn't be happy regardless if I owned the business.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Another lazy employee that doesn't want to check stock or help the customer.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
Why do I have the feeling Im not going to gets this phone call regarless if they get the batteries from their warehouse or not? Im not letting this thread die if that happens. Im going to bump it once a month.

She didnt even asked for my name or a credit card number... so is this the way businesses run? They blindly order things for strangers on the phone from their warehouses?
Banned
Nov 21, 2009
2465 posts
1043 upvotes
It's true and I deal with experiences like this on a daily basis with the amount of vendors I have to communicate with.

Rogers is by FAR the absolute WORST customer service/assistance you can ask from any company. If it wasn't for the CRTC bending over for them at every angle, Rogers would be GONE.
Apr 2, 2011
619 posts
317 upvotes
Gammatron wrote: My attitude changed when I witnessed the incompetence of the employee, to the other guy that mentions here for me to watch for the low-stock level on the website, what that does have to do with her incompetence? As an employee of my company I know everything about it (that a customer should know), what models we have, what kind of jobs we do, what we can do and can't. I'm sure a McDonald's employee has to know what a Filet o' Fish combo is.
Proofreading this one needs.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
This is what happens when you pay employees minimum wage year after year, so they do bare minimum to keep the job.
People work there for years without benefits or pay increases, there is absolutely no incentive to do better.......

expect this pretty much anywhere, nobody wants to deal with anything, just go in, put the hrs, go home.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
Give me a break. You sound like a pain in the rear to deal with. I am sure there is more to the conversation than you are relaying. YOLO and some things aren't worth getting stressed about.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
For once I agree with a Gammatron thread.
That is assuming it happened like he said.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
carmaster wrote: Another lazy employee that doesn't want to check stock or help the customer.
How much do you want to bet she is getting close to minimum wage? She is working as hard as they are paying her u fortunately that is the attitude many carry into work. Pay me minimum I'll give you minimum effort.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Fido still owes me money. I called and they said it is processed Si my credit card should get the refund. 2!months later still nothing. I think it's a tactic to lie on the first try then if the customer calls back a second time they will truly refund you not before an insincere apology of course.
Jan 3, 2011
392 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
transitguy1 wrote: This is what happens when you pay employees minimum wage year after year, so they do bare minimum to keep the job.
People work there for years without benefits or pay increases, there is absolutely no incentive to do better.......

expect this pretty much anywhere, nobody wants to deal with anything, just go in, put the hrs, go home.
Henry's sales associates actually can get compensated very well. There are low level employees there that make six figures because of commission.
Mar 23, 2006
413 posts
92 upvotes
royroces wrote: Henry's sales associates actually can get compensated very well. There are low level employees there that make six figures because of commission.
I'm guessing this lady isn't one of them.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
flash67 wrote: It's true and I deal with experiences like this on a daily basis with the amount of vendors I have to communicate with.

Rogers is by FAR the absolute WORST customer service/assistance you can ask from any company. If it wasn't for the CRTC bending over for them at every angle, Rogers would be GONE.
I would argue that when you have 25000 employees there's good and bad.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote: How much do you want to bet she is getting close to minimum wage? She is working as hard as they are paying her u fortunately that is the attitude many carry into work. Pay me minimum I'll give you minimum effort.
That's the wrong attitude. A ton of people work minimum wage but demonstrate good customer service and good attitude. These types of people should not be hired for customer service jobs then.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Gammatron wrote: My attitude changed when I witnessed the incompetence of the employee, to the other guy that mentions here for me to watch for the low-stock level on the website, what that does have to do with her incompetence? As an employee of my company I know everything about it (that a customer should know), what models we have, what kind of jobs we do, what we can do and can't. I'm sure a McDonald's employee has to know what a Filet o' Fish combo is.
...what is in a Filet o' Fish combo anyways?