Home & Garden

How to install the dishwasher with the granite countertop?

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2016 2:28 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2005
630 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill

How to install the dishwasher with the granite countertop?

I'm going to install the granite countertop in the kitchen, if I mount the dishwasher to the granite directly, I think it may crack very soon due to the vibration from the dishwasher. What's the best way to anchor the dishwasher with the granite countertop properly? thanks.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
7154 posts
671 upvotes
well granite has a plywood base under it to attach to the cabinets.

But I attached mine to the side cabinets with 2 bolts, you cant see it unless you look in the top right corner of the cabinet.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2005
630 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rocking23nf wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 10:34 am
well granite has a plywood base under it to attach to the cabinets.

But I attached mine to the side cabinets with 2 bolts, you cant see it unless you look in the top right corner of the cabinet.
I think it would be safer to attach it to the side cabinets, but I have to check my dishwasher if I can do that. Thanks a lot!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2917 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto
imbane wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 10:43 am
I think it would be safer to attach it to the side cabinets, but I have to check my dishwasher if I can do that. Thanks a lot!

Yes, most dishwashers have options to screw into the side cabinets. Even if it doesn't, it's easy enough to rig up something to screw into the sides. It just has to hold the dishwasher in place when you open the door, otherwise it'll move forward a bit.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Mine is attached to the granite counter and no problem to date (been ~4 yrs)
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5744 posts
539 upvotes
Granite grabbers:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Granite-Grabbers-Dis ... 563bf3f0f9

They're available for either side or top mount. It's 2 metal brackets with a powerful adhesive which sticks to the granite. The dishwasher can then be bolted to the brackets. I installed this about a month ago (quartz countertop in my case) and it works perfectly in holding the dishwasher in place. I wasn't able to find it locally so I just ordered it from eBay.

I would never ever attempt to install hardware directly into a stone countertop because of the risk of cracking.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2005
630 posts
7 upvotes
Richmond Hill
woof wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 11:40 am
Granite grabbers:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Granite-Grabbers-Dis ... 563bf3f0f9

They're available for either side or top mount. It's 2 metal brackets with a powerful adhesive which sticks to the granite. The dishwasher can then be bolted to the brackets. I installed this about a month ago (quartz countertop in my case) and it works perfectly in holding the dishwasher in place. I wasn't able to find it locally so I just ordered it from eBay.

I would never ever attempt to install hardware directly into a stone countertop because of the risk of cracking.
This is a interesting product, so I don't have to drill holes on my cabinets. :lol:
Sep 24, 2009
51 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
If there isn't plywood under tyhe granite already just silcone a piece about 1 1/2 inches wide by 10-12 inches long right where the dishwasher tabs line up let it set-up and your set. The screws are only about 1/2 inch long and are there only to stop the dishwasher from flipping when you open the the door and role out the dish basket.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
2 ways to do this. 1) you either PL a piece of 3inX24in plywood/etc to the granite and then screw into that. Very simple and easy to do and the wood wont cost you a thing as you can get it as scrap at HD. Total time 1hr, total cost $7 for the PL...if you have a caulk gun..otherwise another $7 for that.

2) just slide the dishwasher in and wedge the clamps up on the top of the dishwasher so the unit can't slide back out. (only works if you have a lip on your granite..ie not a 1in granite) Cost free.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2310 posts
177 upvotes
Kato2 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 12:05 pm
If there isn't plywood under tyhe granite already just silcone a piece about 1 1/2 inches wide by 10-12 inches long right where the dishwasher tabs line up let it set-up and your set. The screws are only about 1/2 inch long and are there only to stop the dishwasher from flipping when you open the the door and role out the dish basket.

I am going to install mine tomorrow. This is exactly what I wanted to do....
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2003
1088 posts
28 upvotes
romsan04 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 8:23 pm
I am going to install mine tomorrow. This is exactly what I wanted to do....

Silicone and Granite don't mix. It will leak through the granite and leave marks on the upper side. Pl200 or 400. :facepalm: Sorry forgot to mention if it's not sealed on both sides....which the underside MOST likely isn't
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4449 posts
594 upvotes
Mount the metal tabs directly to the under side of the granite using epoxy.

If you need to release it later, just heat with a heat gun. Silicone can bleed through.
May 3, 2009
569 posts
45 upvotes
superwell wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 4:30 pm
Silicone and Granite don't mix. It will leak through the granite and leave marks on the upper side. Pl200 or 400. :facepalm: Sorry forgot to mention if it's not sealed on both sides....which the underside MOST likely isn't

An RTV silicone will not bleed.

OP:

If you use the granite grabbers, make sure to thoroughly clean the underside of the granite. The granite grabbers need a clean surface to adhere properly. Most new dishwashers have side mount brackets to screw to the cabinets. If the stone is 1.25" thick, then I would recommend a filler strip either screwed to the cabinets or siliconed to the stone and clamped in place for a day.
× < >