• Nov 16th, 2010 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

How to install ledgestone (stack stone) around the Fireplace

So I took adventage of the 50% discount at the tile shop in Mississauga and bought some nice ledgestone (6" x 24" autumn brown) 4$ / sqft (down from 8 / sqft) to install around my fireplace. Any one with experience on how to install those on dry wall? do I need to put a lath first or can I apply them directley to the painted wall using mortar? I still didn't decide if I will rent a wet saw and install them myself or hire a pro? any hints or thoughts of how to install this type of stones? the area that I am installing is about 55 sqft.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1211 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Google for manufacture's website. There should be installation PDF's. At least that was the case when I installed mine.

Mine was for an outside project, and the total area was probably twice as small as yours. I stapled galvanized lattice from Home Depot to plywood, and then used mortar. It was pretty messy.

On a plus side the stone was easy to cut or chip away. My project didn't require a high level of precision though.

A pro will probably do your project in half a day, and you'll probably spend at least a weekend. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2345 posts
154 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
wow that's a good price! did they have any more? i would need about 150 sq ft.
Oct 12, 2008
34 posts
toronto
It's pretty easy. I used thinset applied to drywall and it hasn't collapsed yet! They're self stacking and the weight is transmitted to the floor-just as long as your wall is less than 10 feet high, you should be good
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
peterstevan wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:17 am
It's pretty easy. I used thinset applied to drywall and it hasn't collapsed yet! They're self stacking and the weight is transmitted to the floor-just as long as your wall is less than 10 feet high, you should be good
Was it a bare drywall or painted? how long ago was your installation?
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
LarryLat wrote:
Oct 13th, 2009 4:20 pm
Google for manufacture's website. There should be installation PDF's. At least that was the case when I installed mine.

Mine was for an outside project, and the total area was probably twice as small as yours. I stapled galvanized lattice from Home Depot to plywood, and then used mortar. It was pretty messy.

On a plus side the stone was easy to cut or chip away. My project didn't require a high level of precision though.

A pro will probably do your project in half a day, and you'll probably spend at least a weekend. Good luck.
Thanks, I will try to google it. Did you use a wet saw to cut it or what did you use? Does it chatters when you cut it?
Oct 12, 2008
34 posts
toronto
It was on painted drywall a few months ago.
You need to use a wet tile saw.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1029 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
My buddy who helped me with mine used an electric cut wheel to cut the tiles. Worked really well. I got a few different opinions on what to use for putting them on the wall, from mortar, to Bulldog glue to PL premium. Ended up using PL prem for around my fireplace, about 45 sq/ft. So far so good...
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2003
1211 posts
170 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I used a small dry-cut diamond wheel mounted on my angle grinder. I bought the diamond wheel from Princess Auto for less than ten bucks. However, I would invest into a cheapo Canadian Tire wet tile saw (on sale for $40 or bucks usually) to do a higher-precision interior work.

Dry-cutting creates tons of very fine dust that makes everything very messy. Forget about doing this inside. Wet saw is so much cleaner.

The back side of the ledgestone is quite rough this means that it needs quite a bit of adhesive to stick securely to a wall. PL Premium should work awesome and make the work easy and clean. However, this will also be much much more expensive than using cheap mortar.

Another issue is with the heat. How hot do you expect the stone to get around the fireplace. Will it cause any problems to the adhesive? Probably not, but better make sure now than fix it later.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Smoothie wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 9:00 am
My buddy who helped me with mine used an electric cut wheel to cut the tiles. Worked really well. I got a few different opinions on what to use for putting them on the wall, from mortar, to Bulldog glue to PL premium. Ended up using PL prem for around my fireplace, about 45 sq/ft. So far so good...
Thanks for the info. Do you know how many PL tubes roughly have you used to glue the 45 sq/ft? and how long ago was the installation done?
I like the idea of using the construction adhesive since it's less messy but I don't know if it's strong enough to hold them in place?
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
LarryLat wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 9:37 am
I used a small dry-cut diamond wheel mounted on my angle grinder. I bought the diamond wheel from Princess Auto for less than ten bucks. However, I would invest into a cheapo Canadian Tire wet tile saw (on sale for $40 or bucks usually) to do a higher-precision interior work.

Dry-cutting creates tons of very fine dust that makes everything very messy. Forget about doing this inside. Wet saw is so much cleaner.

The back side of the ledgestone is quite rough this means that it needs quite a bit of adhesive to stick securely to a wall. PL Premium should work awesome and make the work easy and clean. However, this will also be much much more expensive than using cheap mortar.

Another issue is with the heat. How hot do you expect the stone to get around the fireplace. Will it cause any problems to the adhesive? Probably not, but better make sure now than fix it later.
It's not directley around the firplace. It's around the mantel so I guess it doesn't get too hot.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1029 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
I used about 10 tubes I think. Its been up for a few weeks now, although I haven't really used the fireplace yet, I do have a fan for it. I don't have any mantle around the fireplace box, so its the stone all around from the ground to the ceiling.

PL is much easier for install.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1029 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
I also installed the Realstone Systems, not a cultured stone either.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2009
62 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
hyperactiveme wrote:
Oct 13th, 2009 5:19 pm
wow that's a good price! did they have any more? i would need about 150 sq ft.
Yes they did have more but I don't know if they will honour the discounted price of 4 sq / ft or they will give it to you at a regular price of 8 sq/ft. I added a link to their website with a picture.
× < >