Home & Garden

How to keep the birds (robin) from hitting my window glass?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 21st, 2017 11:19 am
[OP]
Mar 26, 2012
46 posts
15 upvotes

How to keep the birds (robin) from hitting my window glass?

For last few days, the birds (robin) have been flying head on and hitting my window glass all day long.
I see that this may be the mating season that they are defending the territories. They may perceive their own reflection in glass as a competing male, and attack it repeatedly in an attempt to drive the intruder off.

They make such annoying noise and may crack my window glass, or hurt themselves in the process.

Covering up the windows is difficult for the 2nd floor windows.

13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5085 posts
1279 upvotes
Kootenays
Unless you live in Europe, that is not the bird hitting your windows. Image This is our robin, the American Robin. There's not much that I know that can be done. You're correct, it's a male being territorial. We once came home and found our window covered in blood. It looked like a crime scene. I later saw the Robin and his beak was in terrible shape from beating the window. It will probably last for a few weeks. The only thing would be to cover the window from the outside to block the reflection.

I'm convinced that this is where the expression "bird brain" comes from!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
1270 posts
124 upvotes
Maybe some decals on the window or a fake owl to place near it could help.
Nov 10, 2015
881 posts
191 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We have a large living room window, 14' across and it was constantly getting hit by birds so last year I hung up a medium size wind chime outside. The chime hangs down about two feet below the top of the window and about four or five feet out from it.
So far there's been no dead birds to pick up.
Anyone But Justin 2019
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9697 posts
330 upvotes
Brampton
cmackie wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 5:37 pm
Maybe some decals on the window or a fake owl to place near it could help.
Do this. Stick some round stickers on the window so the bird will be able to know that something is there and not to crash into it since birds don't really see the clear glass.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1885 upvotes
GTA
The Ontario Science Centre and other buildings with large windows have silhouette stickers to keep birds from crashing in to the windows.

Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
Free birds? And you want rid of them? What kind of anti-RFD guy is this?
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5085 posts
1279 upvotes
Kootenays
OP isn't having problems with birds crashing into his windows, but rather one seeing it's reflection, likely from a perch, and trying to chase it away. Decals or silhouettes won't work unless the bird can't see it's reflection. We've had robins do this many times and they usually return to the exact same spot, see their own reflection and try to chase it away. There's little chance that a robin can generate enough force to break a window, but they will make it filthy.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
3218 posts
1885 upvotes
GTA
A silhouette may still keep them away. Or just put a stuffed falcon behind the window :P Or maybe a cat :)
Mar 19, 2013
559 posts
154 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
Could try some type of ribbon, inside or out. You need something to break that clear reflection they see. To them it is open air.
Nov 24, 2008
239 posts
93 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
We've hung strips of holographic wrapping paper and I've heard of hanging old CDs. The reflectiveness of either product makes the birds wary.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1480 posts
364 upvotes
Mississauga
Got a dead robin that ran into my window today. Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2392 posts
591 upvotes
Paris
bubuski wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:45 pm
Got a dead robin that ran into my window today. Disappointed Face
My mother hangs plastic stained glass stuff the kids make (think shrinky dinks) in the windows at the cottage and that deters bird strikes.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.