• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2017 11:40 pm
Tags:
Sep 13, 2016
553 posts
238 upvotes
pogs wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:19 pm
Thank you. Appreciate the advice as I wait on pins and needles. It has been just under three weeks since they advised the start date was April 3. I really thought it would be all set by now. I was going to give 2.5 weeks notice , but that seems unlikely.
And that's why it's extremely important that you start the process officially so that the counter is set in motion. Talk to whoever is in-charge at the moment.
When I quit my previous job, which was in Germany (2 months notice), the first thing I did was to raise a resignation and exit request on the HR portal.
Followed by discussions with my manager the same day.
Dec 20, 2005
893 posts
13 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:30 pm
And that's why it's extremely important that you start the process officially so that the counter is set in motion. Talk to whoever is in-charge at the moment.
When I quit my previous job, which was in Germany (2 months notice), the first thing I did was to raise a resignation and exit request on the HR portal.
Followed by discussions with my manager the same day.
geez...so now I officially have a start date and offer. My manager is out of the office and there is tons of work planned for next two weeks and into April. Wish they would have allowed me to provide more notice. Now I have to try and get a hold of my manager at home over the phone...instead of face to face. Exactly what I didn't want to do.

Now I am agonizing over giving my notice over the phone with a follow up email or hoping my manager is in on Monday. However, if I give notice on Monday will I be short by 1 day in terms of providing two weeks notice? decisions, decisions
Last edited by pogs on Mar 17th, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 13, 2016
553 posts
238 upvotes
pogs wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:00 pm
geez...so now I officially have a start date and offer. My manager is out of the office and there is tons of work planned for next two weeks and into April. Wish they would have allowed me to provide more notice. Now I have to try and get a hold of my manager at home over the phone...instead of face to face. Exactly what I didn't want to do.
Get on the phone and shoot an email.
You do not want to get into a situation where you send that email on 25th and then they say 2 weeks notice from then.

You won't believe how quickly managers and companies to turn devil and try to screw once an employee decides to leave.
That's why it's extremely important that the nature or kind of relationship you have with your manager notwithstanding, you must start an official communication so that you can say that you resigned on 17th and that is when your 2 weeks start.
Dec 20, 2005
893 posts
13 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:06 pm
Get on the phone and shoot an email.
You do not want to get into a situation where you send that email on 25th and then they say 2 weeks notice from then.

You won't believe how quickly managers and companies to turn devil and try to screw once an employee decides to leave.
That's why it's extremely important that the nature or kind of relationship you have with your manager notwithstanding, you must start an official communication so that you can say that you resigned on 17th and that is when your 2 weeks start.
Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. But of course, my manager isn't reachable at the moment. OMG.

Next question. I had booked off some days a while ago, that takes place during the two weeks notice. Is it frowned upon to keep the vacay days booked, or should I consider cancelling them?
Nov 24, 2015
350 posts
84 upvotes
pogs wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 2:19 pm
Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. But of course, my manager isn't reachable at the moment. OMG.

Next question. I had booked off some days a while ago, that takes place during the two weeks notice. Is it frowned upon to keep the vacay days booked, or should I consider cancelling them?
1) can you try your manager's leader

2) typically frowned upon, sometimes will not count towards your two weeks or you wil be asked to cancel it. Just as a note, companies sometimes will prorate your vacations if you leave mid-year. Ie if you take 3 weeks in Jan, you might actually only be entitled 1.5 days, so you'd essentially owe the company back on the rest of the days (your two weeks resignation period) you may not be paid (employer dependent) since your vacation bank 'goes in the red' so to speak
Dec 20, 2005
893 posts
13 upvotes
ignites wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:21 pm
1) can you try your manager's leader

2) typically frowned upon, sometimes will not count towards your two weeks or you wil be asked to cancel it. Just as a note, companies sometimes will prorate your vacations if you leave mid-year. Ie if you take 3 weeks in Jan, you might actually only be entitled 1.5 days, so you'd essentially owe the company back on the rest of the days (your two weeks resignation period) you may not be paid (employer dependent) since your vacation bank 'goes in the red' so to speak
yes, i am planning to cancel some or all of the days booked off. do not want to leave on a bad note.
Feb 1, 2017
166 posts
140 upvotes
Does it really matter how you leave? You've been there a month! Just stop showing up if you find anything else too awkward.

It's not like they are going to give you a good reference anyway, so burning bridges like that will have no ill effect.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3527 posts
1425 upvotes
Edmonton
yselfandi wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:55 pm
Does it really matter how you leave? You've been there a month! Just stop showing up if you find anything else too awkward.

It's not like they are going to give you a good reference anyway, so burning bridges like that will have no ill effect.
This. You started a month ago? In most companies I work for, they'd just ask for your company property right there and walk you out the door. You're most likely not a crucial part of the company at this point.

Ontario doesn't specify the amount of time you need to give notice. Your employer is not required to give you any notice of firing you because you've only been there a month. So there's a chance that they may terminate you immediately and you won't get paid for the last two weeks. Just FYI...

C
Nov 24, 2015
350 posts
84 upvotes
yselfandi wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 3:55 pm

CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 4:19 pm
This. You started a month ago? In most companies I work for, they'd just ask for your company property right there and walk you out the door. You're most likely not a crucial part of the company at this point.

Ontario doesn't specify the amount of time you need to give notice. Your employer is not required to give you any notice of firing you because you've only been there a month. So there's a chance that they may terminate you immediately and you won't get paid for the last two weeks. Just FYI...

C
maybe im confused... but i dont think OP and pogs are the same person.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
3725 posts
1396 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 3:36 pm
Two middle fingers and a cloud of dust.
LOLLLLLLL
Feb 16, 2013
219 posts
379 upvotes
Toronto
One month?
Who cares, you are not the prime minister.
Dec 20, 2005
893 posts
13 upvotes
ignites wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 12:15 am
maybe im confused... but i dont think OP and pogs are the same person.
Correct. Sorry I hijacked the thread. I had similar questions to OP