How to limit the risk when selling my phone

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 6:42 pm
[OP]
Feb 19, 2017
26 posts
2 upvotes

How to limit the risk when selling my phone

I got a free device upgrade from my carrier, but I don't need it, my current phone works great for me. So I decided to sell this brand new phone on Kijiji.

Since the IMEI # of the new phone is recorded on my file with the carrier, if someone who bought it and did something illegal or generate a large phone bill, would it trace back to my account?
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
13099 posts
1230 upvotes
Toronto
If the buyer runs up a huge bill, the charges will go to the buyer.

The IMEI may have been recorded as being sold to you but that doesn't mean you are using the phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1716 posts
383 upvotes
Everywhere
The risk is all with the buyer.
May 8, 2009
5554 posts
1981 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:35 am
The risk is all with the buyer.
Only one catch with the seller in this case. It's against ToS to sell the phone you have on subsidy, or to use the carrier's "deal" for financial gain. This means if the buyer happens to use the phone on the same network as the seller acquired the phone from, they can see that. Carrier could go as far as giving the subscriber notice that they'll no longer provide them service, with some time to port out or cancel, then pay off the remaining device(s) balance.

Of course as a one-off it's highly unlikely that the carrier will do anything about it, but to say the seller has absolutely no risk involved is a stretch.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1716 posts
383 upvotes
Everywhere
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:40 am
Only one catch with the seller in this case. It's against ToS to sell the phone you have on subsidy, or to use the carrier's "deal" for financial gain. This means if the buyer happens to use the phone on the same network as the seller acquired the phone from, they can see that. Carrier could go as far as giving the subscriber notice that they'll no longer provide them service, with some time to port out or cancel, then pay off the remaining device(s) balance.

Of course as a one-off it's highly unlikely that the carrier will do anything about it, but to say the seller has absolutely no risk involved is a stretch.
Ha ha so much fine print.

It's probably almost impossible to prove in a cash transaction.
May 8, 2009
5554 posts
1981 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
batcave wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:48 am
Ha ha so much fine print.

It's probably almost impossible to prove in a cash transaction.
Almost impossible, yes.

A confession of the buyer could kill the deal.

We all gotta know the fine print, though!
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1716 posts
383 upvotes
Everywhere
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:54 pm
Almost impossible, yes.

A confession of the buyer could kill the deal.

We all gotta know the fine print, though!
"We will make you talk" Face With Tears Of Joy
I agree, knowing the details are important!
Jul 4, 2018
23 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
don't worry it happens all the time. If you go into cellular shops they regular encourage you (for those with multi phone accounts) to use the soonest available upgrade (even if its not tied to your number) and use it for your line. There's virutally no chance you would be liable for anything tied to your IMEI. worst case scenario say it was lost or stolen should anything arise.
I am a licensed Mortgage Broker in the Vancouver / Lower Mainland area. Please feel free to DM me anytime you have any questions in my area of expertise. Also am always up for some hockey talk as well!
Jul 5, 2004
22938 posts
2620 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:40 am

True and good to make OP aware, although I've never read a first hand account of that actually happening. It's fine print, but I wonder if the telecom companies actually care. As long as someone is paying the bills, the telecom companies seem content to ignore all the grey area stuff (out of province plans, Koodo loopholes, etc).
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
May 8, 2009
5554 posts
1981 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Shaner wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 11:06 pm
True and good to make OP aware, although I've never read a first hand account of that actually happening. It's fine print, but I wonder if the telecom companies actually care. As long as someone is paying the bills, the telecom companies seem content to ignore all the grey area stuff (out of province plans, Koodo loopholes, etc).
It only matters once the carrier decides to do something about it 🤣 that's why I said it's good to be aware of it. Honestly very unlikely to happen as a one-off, but more frequent churners can end up in a tangle.
Dec 7, 2016
181 posts
41 upvotes
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if koodo phones now come unlocked or do I have to unlock them before selling the phone?
Dec 4, 2017
177 posts
54 upvotes
xsomsicarius wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 5:47 pm
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know if koodo phones now come unlocked or do I have to unlock them before selling the phone?
They are unlocked now. This only started to become guaranteed last December. In the unlikely event that you get some old stock that shipped locked, they are required to provide you with the unlock code for free.

I don't know about the corporate stores, but I saw independent dealers at Wireless Wave and Loblaws' The Mobile Shop taking care of this unlocking procedure in December for customers. They were being mobbed!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)