None
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga

How to listen to TV over headphones wirelessly while running on treadmill

Looking for a solution for this problem:

Problem: Hubby wants to watch TV over wireless headphones while running on the treadmill. Treadmill is about 15-20 feet from TV/home theatre equipment

Headphones need to be bud type or sport type. The big muff types won't do.
Audio signal is via home theatre amplifier - not directly through TV. Amp has headphone jack.
We don't own an iPhone/iPod but do have a generic Mp3 player with FM radio.

Possible solutions I've researched:
- Output FM Transmitter plugged into headphone jack on Amplifier and use generic MP3 player tuned to FM frequency
- Bluetooth transmitter plugged into headphone jack with bluetooth headphones

Any other possible ideas or recommendations on what would work best?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
why not just a long headphone cable?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: why not just a long headphone cable?

+1, this would work best, and would be cheapest too.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Because cables on a treadmill are ridiculous, and heavy, and it's not the 90s, and because that's specifically what you didn't ask for, I'm going to say Bluetooth. Going through RF can be good, or bad, and limited by distance. Get a set of bluetooth headphones and be happy that you have exactly what you need.

One thing might be that it's harder to find good bud one's, but some of the over-the-ear ones have bud inserts and are quite light and airy.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the replies.....I don't like the idea of a headphone cable - although it would work, it's definitely not efficient and rather heavy. I don't think he wants to be rolling and unrolling cabling everytime he runs. I don't like the idea of it running through the room either.

Bluetooth solution sounds like the best.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
xalex0 wrote: How about just turning up the TV sound?

Or get a home theater sound system. I can guarantee you that, that man will be very happy if you got him a sound system.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
BT worked for me on a rowing machine for years. It was a cheapie no name brand.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
wilsonlam97 wrote: Or get a home theater sound system. I can guarantee you that, that man will be very happy if you got him a sound system.

Didn't work for me. One advantage of the headset is that it reduces the sound of the machine and the activity. Without it, the volume would have to be very, very high.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
wilsonlam97 wrote: Or get a home theater sound system. I can guarantee you that, that man will be very happy if you got him a sound system.

We've got a home theater sound system with a 5.1 setup - the problem is the treadmill is behind the speakers......and he turns it up mega loud to hear dialogue in game of thrones. The treadmill motor isn't the quietest so that doesn't help either.

The dog goes nuts and with a baby on the way in 2.5 months, it's not gonna fly for too long ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)