Home & Garden

How long before I can park on newly paved driveway?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2011 7:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 15, 2006
913 posts
24 upvotes

How long before I can park on newly paved driveway?

The paving company said don't drive on it for 4 days, but the problem is that I leave the car parked on my driveway during the week as I take the TTC to work. My googling has led to different recommendations - anyone want to chime in on how long I have to wait before leaving my car parked on my newly paved driveway 5 days of the week? Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
enigma54 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2011 11:21 pm
The paving company said don't drive on it for 4 days, but the problem is that I leave the car parked on my driveway during the week as I take the TTC to work. My googling has led to different recommendations - anyone want to chime in on how long I have to wait before leaving my car parked on my newly paved driveway 5 days of the week? Thanks!

Get a parking permit and park on the street. The paving company said 4 days. So, 4 days.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2006
913 posts
24 upvotes
gman wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2011 11:24 pm
Get a parking permit and park on the street. The paving company said 4 days. So, 4 days.

You misread my post. Unlike probably most of you, I leave my car parked on the driveway during the work week, so I'm asking about how long before the asphalt cures for me to be able to leave the car parked as opposed to simply driving on the new driveway. Anyone else knows?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4069 posts
139 upvotes
from what i've heard the longer you wait the better
so i'm going to say until the first snow fall

=)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
enigma54 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2011 3:59 pm
You misread my post. Unlike probably most of you, I leave my car parked on the driveway during the work week, so I'm asking about how long before the asphalt cures for me to be able to leave the car parked as opposed to simply driving on the new driveway. Anyone else knows?

I don't I mis-read it. I still say 4 days because people don't just "drive" on the driveway. They drive on and then park or park and then drive away. Most people also park their cars on the driveway overnight (otherwise, they can get a ticket).

So, I would get a parking permit and park on the street for at least 4 days. Longer is better, of course.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
You paid a lot to get it done now block it off and stay off it for about 5-7 days depending on how hot it gets this coming week.

I have seen depressions in new driveways in our area when they paved the houses from cars starting to use the driveway after about 3-4 days. That being said it was a hot summer and the driveways probably needed longer to harden. Driving over it to get into a garage is one thing but leaving it there parked for a long time will cause a problem.

Not sure what your area is like but in our subdivision trucks and pickups frequently pull into driveways to turn around that is why I would yellow tape across it.
Sep 9, 2007
340 posts
69 upvotes
Would some plywood under the wheels help spread the weight of the car ?
May 23, 2004
398 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
If the driveway has been properly compacted it should be OK to park on it after it has cooled.
They say technology was supposed to make life easier. Sure had me fooled.
www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=15706
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9966 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
Min 48hrs, but the longer the better. Make sure you hose it down everyday if it doesnt rain.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2133 posts
194 upvotes
enigma54 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2011 11:21 pm

When you go to work in the morning, drive it towards the top of the driveway. When you get home from work, move it back towards the bottom. If it's a large driveway where you have room to move left and right, then use that room as well.

As long as you don't plan leaving it in exactly the same spot for 5 days straight, you'll be fine. Doesn't need to move very much to help prevent depressions from forming.
× < >