PC & Video Games

How long before Sony pulls the plug on Playstation Vita?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2012 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
16039 posts
400 upvotes
not sure i'd get one if there's going to be no support.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
Sony miscalculated and I predicted long ago(you can search my previous post) the Vita was going to be lackluster. The trend in N. America isn't going the way of dedicated portable gaming units. If people are going to game on the go then they'll do it casually on their smartphones or tablets. I know Nintendo has had some success with their gameboy series but that's due to kids being their main consumer. Sony was aiming their PSP and Vita's at teens and adults. What may have worked in Asia clearly doesn't work here. They should have never released the Vita and concentrated their resources on improving the PS3 or the next console.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
Beradon wrote: Sony miscalculated and I predicted long ago(you can search my previous post) the Vita was going to be lackluster. The trend in N. America isn't going the way of dedicated portable gaming units. If people are going to game on the go then they'll do it casually on their smartphones or tablets. I know Nintendo has had some success with their gameboy series but that's due to kids being their main consumer. Sony was aiming their PSP and Vita's at teens and adults. What may have worked in Asia clearly doesn't work here. They should have never released the Vita and concentrated their resources on improving the PS3 or the next console.
very well said, i can never see the sucess of vita or psp in North American as well

but i'll pick up a vita at $99 for sure and i can see it coming soon
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3428 posts
89 upvotes
Your Mom
vita dead already? wow it just came out! lol

honest wit u, i feel there's no much of a market for handheld gaming stuffs
especially with all them fancy touch devices
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
86 upvotes
aplayaz2000 wrote: vita dead already? wow it just came out! lol

handheld market ? yes ! but not for vita

maybe you should check everytime you go into a restaurant or any mall you go, how many people you see is holding a vita compare to a cell phone or table for gaming ? Even a DS or 3DS is more popular compare to vita

from my friend's kids group, anyone under 10 : is holding a tablet for cartoon or angry birds

my other friend's kids, around age 15-20, their main gaming device it's either a PC, xbox360 or PS3

there is nothing really attractive with the vita, zero, zip, none

i have friends bought it on the launch day and never touch the device after the first 2 weeks and now connecting dust on their desk

you either bought the device on launch and butt hurt because the vita is going down the drain right now
It's a deal if it's on RFD :!: :!:
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
It took me a while to start loving my vita, but i do. The instant game collection helped a lot, as did the recent updates. Music Unlimited @ $12/yr is a great deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3746 posts
244 upvotes
There's actually quite a number of decent JRPGs for the Vita if you are able to import them somehow and you understand Japanese.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
Persona 4 Golden is available in English and it might be the best JRPG made in the past 5 years.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... a-4-golden

It has the highest metacritic review average for all games released in 2012; sitting at a 95.
Not bad for an upgraded version of the PS2 game. Even if you have finished the PS2 version, Golden also adds night activities, some new social links,
and some new features that help streamline traveling around town.

awestruck wrote: There's actually quite a number of decent JRPGs for the Vita if you are able to import them somehow and you understand Japanese.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
aplayaz2000 wrote: vita dead already? wow it just came out! lol

The 3DS has noticeably outpaced the sales of its predecessor. So the demand is there. The Vita is just lacking its own solid system seller. I really like my Vita - both hardware and software. I think it had one of the best launches of any platform ever (Good selection of original games, no major hiccups or bugs), but SCE was really lacking for a system seller at launch and hasn't bridged that gap yet.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3428 posts
89 upvotes
Your Mom
noob666 wrote: you either bought the device on launch and butt hurt because the vita is going down the drain right now
i didnt buy it... and am butt hurt for a device i dont like?

sorry WHAT
Jul 6, 2009
389 posts
50 upvotes
Bought mine during the prelaunch bundle and I love it.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
I was going to buy a vita at launch but then I actually played some games and really hated how developers added idiot touch and motion support in games that don't need it. I just wanted a newer faster version of the psp but the vita is some weird hybrid device that I did not like at all. the last thing I want to do is be playing a shooter with 2 thumbsticks and be forced to shift the vita back and forth while I am swiping the front and back screens.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
x-factor wrote: Persona 4 Golden is available in English and it might be the best JRPG made in the past 5 years.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... a-4-golden

It has the highest metacritic review average for all games released in 2012; sitting at a 95.
Not bad for an upgraded version of the PS2 game. Even if you have finished the PS2 version, Golden also adds night activities, some new social links,
and some new features that help streamline traveling around town.
This is the only reason I want Vita.
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9720 posts
780 upvotes
Markham
Beradon wrote: Sony miscalculated and I predicted long ago(you can search my previous post) the Vita was going to be lackluster. The trend in N. America isn't going the way of dedicated portable gaming units. If people are going to game on the go then they'll do it casually on their smartphones or tablets. I know Nintendo has had some success with their gameboy series but that's due to kids being their main consumer. Sony was aiming their PSP and Vita's at teens and adults. What may have worked in Asia clearly doesn't work here. They should have never released the Vita and concentrated their resources on improving the PS3 or the next console.
Smartphones and tablets, and perhaps they can capture the casual gaming market like the Wii did, but they just can't replicate that gaming experience. But if you're going to be playing serious video games you are going to have to need buttons.

While gaming on devices will just be more prevalent by sheer numbers, I don't think you are really considering the core type of game player that is not going to be satisfied with these kind of games.
Apr 12, 2007
389 posts
18 upvotes
my psn is brockmazz - add if your playing COD. It does not replace the console version, but for a married man who built a custom entertainment unit and can now not move my 360 from the unit, the vita fits the bill to play for an hour-ish a night.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
and what is up with that wacky vita commercial where the guys are playing a shooter and they all are moving the vita ahead and back while they play. is that another lame motion control to do something in the game because it looked really bad in the ad like these guys had a nerve disorder
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
kennyopti wrote: Probably for NA market. For Japan/Asian market, the PS Vita is in so many ways superior to Apple products as a console of gaming. We are not talking about angry birds here. We are talking Mon Hunt and FF here, serious games.
Unfortunately for sony the latest monster hunter games have been/are coming out on 3ds/wii U.
HTTP04 wrote: Isnt Vita backwards compatible?
Only if you rebuy your games/bought them digital in the first place. No way of playing UMDs on it.

I don't think the vita will do as well as the 3ds, let alone as well as the psp but I think it will do alright, sony's financial state though, thats another story... If sony does pull the plug it would only be due to massive restructuring of the company.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the Vita a few days ago, and I have to say... it is a much better handheld than the 3DS. I own both 3DS and XL, which I love... amazing games.

But Vita games are quick, flashy, and insanely beautiful. Just look at Gravity Rush. The game itself warrants a purchase of the Vita (although I got the Vita for $180 BNIB from Kijiji).

I'm just pissed off at the proprietary memory cards. That's where 3DS wins. 32 GB for 99?! I'm surprised they're even sold out every store I went to.

Sony wouldn't stop support for their handheld though, not until 4-5 years, I can promise you that.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3428 posts
89 upvotes
Your Mom
i personally think hand held gaming is pointless in general

i mean there's not really a perfect opportunity to game outside your house
where you can actually play REAL games
Banned
Jun 28, 2012
5562 posts
815 upvotes
Calgary
aplayaz2000 wrote: i personally think hand held gaming is pointless in general

i mean there's not really a perfect opportunity to game outside your house
where you can actually play REAL games
On the bus but who wants to carry around another device for just this.

I see another BB playbook for the vita, i mean look at the psp gogl. Id be pissed if i paid full price for a vita and a year later its 1/3 the price

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)