PC & Video Games

How long before Sony pulls the plug on Playstation Vita?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2012 10:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
1672 posts
22 upvotes
Saikisen wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:26 am
Rip off? They were the ones who started it (with the exception of the dreamcast) and heavily promoted it in 2006.

Remote Play went virtually unrecognized though because they never bothered to support it.
I've played a couple pixel junk games on my psp, they work fine.

Most recently I was playing Shadow of the Colossus on the vita.

Its sad that they abandoned it for crossbuy/crossplay/crosssave but I appreciate both.

Crossplay works fine with allstars and WipEout HD but dang, I would love to get some infamous 2 remote play working on the vita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kFt6NvCJlU

I havent tested God of war yet on remote play, will do so soon.
Remote play on the Vita is a joke ...

Supported games:

Anarchy: Rush Hour
Bejeweled 2
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger
God of War Collection
GundeadliGne
Gundemonium Recollection
High Stakes Poker on the Vegas Strip
Hitogata Happa
Lair
Peggle
PixelJunk Monsters
PixelJunk Shooter
Retro/Grade
Robotics;Notes (JP) -After 1.10 Patch-
Sim City 2000
The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Tokyo Jungle (US) (EU) (JP)

WOW ... most of these are PS3 games no one cares about

If Sony wants to get serious about the Vita, they have to find a better way to have some fun with the PS3/4 ... the above list of junk simply does not cut it
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4653 posts
864 upvotes
I use the Vita only when at home mostly. Remote play isn't a deal breaker for me at all.

I did not like the original PSP and gave my PSP away but I'm really impressed with the Vita so far and prefer using it over the 3DS XL I have.
The OLED screen on the Vita makes a big difference for PSP, PS1, Vita titles, and media.
Any of the PS1 games purchased on the PS3 PSN will work fine on the vita. I have not made time to replay FF7, FF8, FF9 etc but the option to do so is a nice feature.

My recommendations would be:

Persona 4 Golden (one of the best JRPGS ever made, now in widescreen with some new content)
Metal Gear HD Collection (pretty close port of the console versions)
Little Big Planet PS Vita (touch controls for manipulating platforms in the background and foreground makes a big difference in the level designs
and it the best LBP game yet IMO)

Ones i have still not gotten around to finishing:
Uncharted Golden Abyss (made by Bend studios, the forced touch controls for melee combat, and some puzzles feel unnecessary, not as good as the Naughty Dog console games)
Gravity Rush (played it briefly, in my backlog, no time to play it yet)

I avoided buying the poorly done spinoffs of the high profile console games, so I was not disappointed with those.
I did not get Assassin's Creed Liberation, Resistance, or CoD Vita, etc. All of which were not well received by reviewers. If you bought any of those and expected them to be good, then I could see why the Vita would be disappointing.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2003
4935 posts
95 upvotes
Loooooooaaaaaaadddiing.....
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
1686 posts
122 upvotes
Yeah, the touch controls in Uncharted were really forced, but the rest of the game is pulled together so well I can forgive it.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2003
4935 posts
95 upvotes
A huge warning to Vita owners. DO NOT BUY Modnation Racers Road Trip!!! This has topped my biggest regret in all my life. On second thought, anyone want to buy Modnation Racers used?
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
3976 posts
16 upvotes
GunnerX wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 2:03 pm
A huge warning to Vita owners. DO NOT BUY Modnation Racers Road Trip!!! This has topped my biggest regret in all my life. On second thought, anyone want to buy Modnation Racers used?
I'll buy it for $5!
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2482 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
I'm loving my Vita, more than my 3DS. Currently playing Zero Escape... it's more story than game, but definitely very intriguing, and a completely different experience.

Going to get Persona 4 tomorrow, or soon. Can't wait.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1584 posts
99 upvotes
Montr
So in this entire thread there has been one prediction: sandikosh said Sony will drop the Vita after 2 years. Not even the OP, who started with a loaded premise, made a prediction.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10147 posts
1689 upvotes
Montreal
if the lack of interest in the vita trade deal at eb is any indication the vita is already dead and buried.

I had to go to a couple of stores to find a bnib ps3 psn+ bundle and at each I asked about vita interest and none of them had traded out a single unit. apparently no one asked at two of them as they didn't even know about the trade deal lol. the ps3 was a bit hotter and stock is much lower overall, but still nothing like the 3ds trade deal last year.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1584 posts
99 upvotes
Montr
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 4:40 pm
if the lack of interest in the vita trade deal at eb is any indication the vita is already dead and buried.
By dead and buried you mean for sale and actively promoted?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10147 posts
1689 upvotes
Montreal
drdrma wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 4:58 pm
By dead and buried you mean for sale and actively promoted?
no, I mean inconsequential going forward in 2013 and almost guaranteed to be orphaned and heavily discounted. the pspgo is totally dead yet I still see them for sale at some stores. the main reason I never got a vita is that I'd be paying 250-300 for a system without any internal memory and would be forced to plunk down 100 more for a 32gb card. sorry but that's just crazy stupid to pay 400 dollars for a workable portable system. could sony really not have included 16gb onboard or included a 16-32gb card in the bundle and not worry about gouging on their proprietary memory?

it seems to me and a lot of other people that sony is only selling vitas to make huge profits on marked-up proprietary memory cards and this is not a great strategy during a global recession lol

can you even play vita games out of the box without a memory card?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1584 posts
99 upvotes
Montr
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 9:50 am
no, I mean inconsequential going forward in 2013 and almost guaranteed to be orphaned and heavily discounted. the pspgo is totally dead yet I still see them for sale at some stores.
Define orphaned. The Vita has new games coming out all the time, are you predicting no new games in 2013? Who cares if it's discounted, what does that have to do with anything. The PSP system had new games in late 2012.
the main reason I never got a vita is that I'd be paying 250-300 for a system without any internal memory and would be forced to plunk down 100 more for a 32gb card. sorry but that's just crazy stupid to pay 400 dollars for a workable portable system. could sony really not have included 16gb onboard or included a 16-32gb card in the bundle and not worry about gouging on their proprietary memory?
That's you, did you notice everybody else in this thread who bought one?
can you even play vita games out of the box without a memory card?
It's true, and a bad user experience to not include memory in all packages. On the other hand, at least you get stuck with a 4gb card you don't need.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10147 posts
1689 upvotes
Montreal
drdrma wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 11:59 am
Define orphaned. The Vita has new games coming out all the time, are you predicting no new games in 2013?
I am predicting that sometime in 2013 sony is going to drop prices significantly and move towards orphaning it. games are currently in the pipeline for 2013 and logic entails that they will be released but I do see an eventual end to this ill-conceived project. I'm not anti-sony as I own a psp and just picked up a ps3 from eb, but the vita is one stupidly released platform that seems to be tied entirely to some jerk at sony wanting to sell us proprietary memory at jacked-up prices. do they never learn?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1584 posts
99 upvotes
Montr
JackWhyte wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 12:25 pm
I am predicting that sometime in 2013 sony is going to drop prices significantly and move towards orphaning it. games are currently in the pipeline for 2013 and logic entails that they will be released but I do see an eventual end to this ill-conceived project.
Price drops are expected for all consoles, so that's not much of a prediction. So you moved from "dead and buried" to an "eventually end".
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
10147 posts
1689 upvotes
Montreal
drdrma wrote:
Dec 12th, 2012 12:57 pm
Price drops are expected for all consoles, so that's not much of a prediction. So you moved from "dead and buried" to an "eventually end".
wow, do you work for sony or do you pimp them for free lol?

nothing can save the vita longterm as it is an incredibly flawed and stupidly released platform that seems to be tied entirely to some jerk at sony wanting to sell us proprietary memory at jacked-up prices. at least the pspgo had internal memory and worked out of the box.

to sell a console that can't even run your flagship retail games when you open it is truly bizarre even for sony.
× < >