• Feb 21st, 2018 10:31 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2365 posts
454 upvotes

How long can gpu shortage last?

So after missing out on the latest nvidia 1080ti batch Im curious how long this shortage can last?

3Months? 6months?

There was some okish non inflated deals over at memoryexpress. as of writing atleast 5 gtx 1060s 339 and afew 1080tis under 1100.

But I saw on nowinstock that they had afew 699.99 usd founders editions that sold within 1 hour. Ive been on that waiting list for nvidia cards for awhile. Im wondering if they sell before the waiting list even gets informed they are in stock.

Im currently sitting on a GTX1050. It works, GTA5, Destiny 2 ect. I dont think FF XV will run that well on this card. So im looking premptively at replacing it.

Also was able to flip afew gtx780s over the past month, those things drink quite abit of power and arent really optimized for current titles my current gtx1050 is beating it in afew instances.

So what are you doing to deal with the shortage did you cash out on a gpu, and how long do you think this can really last?
37 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14030 posts
5559 upvotes
I have heard from multiple sources that Volta is coming out in March and that is the reason why the cards are unavailable right now. nVidia has been dedicating most of their manufacturing resources to have Volta well stocked for a successful launch.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2365 posts
454 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 4:27 pm
I have heard from multiple sources that Volta is coming out in March and that is the reason why the cards are unavailable right now. nVidia has been dedicating most of their manufacturing resources to have Volta well stocked for a successful launch.
Makes sense
Also answers my theory as to why is FFXV running so MEH on a 1080ti on all the benchmark reviews. I think the devs used titan v or volta im sure devs have early axx hardware that is so under lock and key so they can produce the newest stuff for the masses..
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14030 posts
5559 upvotes
westnylefx wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 4:40 pm
Makes sense
Also answers my theory as to why is FFXV running so MEH on a 1080ti on all the benchmark reviews. I think the devs used titan v or volta im sure devs have early axx hardware that is so under lock and key so they can produce the newest stuff for the masses..
Ah yes. The two theories have come together as one. I like it. You could be right. I would love to see Volta launched in early March with the game.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22544 posts
9139 upvotes
Ottawa
What shortage?
I can buy 10 1080ti right now at ~$2K/ea, albeit I have to use 5 different credit cards!
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1302 posts
684 upvotes
As long as the Bitcoin/alt-coin bubble lasts.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14030 posts
5559 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 6:54 pm
As long as the Bitcoin/alt-coin bubble lasts.
It's not going anywhere. It is the new reality.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19806 posts
2161 upvotes
Montreal
SickBeast wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 7:04 pm
It's not going anywhere. It is the new reality.
Maybe. But eventually the hash checks will get harder and harder and GPUs will no longer be effective.

Bitcoin has already moved to ASIC miners. The rest of the crap will move on eventually.
Feb 4, 2018
506 posts
25 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 7:35 pm
Maybe. But eventually the hash checks will get harder and harder and GPUs will no longer be effective.

Bitcoin has already moved to ASIC miners. The rest of the crap will move on eventually.
Yeah stupid Bitcoin fad ruined it for us gamers. I'm still stuck running two 980 TI's in SLI. Not worth the upgrade since 1080 TI's are sold out to the Bitcoin people, and 980 TI's aren't that efficient for mining so I'd get chickenfeed for mine if wanted to sell.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3756 posts
531 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 7:35 pm
The same thing happens with ASICs.
Bitcoin and other coins moved to ASICs because their algorithm is easy to implement in ASICs. Other coins, like Ethereum even though its market cap is massive use algorithms which are not.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5893 posts
4153 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Poutsounia wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 1:02 am
Yeah stupid Bitcoin fad ruined it for us gamers. I'm still stuck running two 980 TI's in SLI. Not worth the upgrade since 1080 TI's are sold out to the Bitcoin people, and 980 TI's aren't that efficient for mining so I'd get chickenfeed for mine if wanted to sell.
I read if the bitcoin price gets below $6000 it no longer is profitable to mine even with cheap electricity. So maybe at $3k bitcoin there’s all of a sudden gonna be lots of 1080’s on kijiji?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5471 posts
3676 upvotes
North York
Coins get valuable ----> People buy GPUs to mine ----> The more people mine, the harder it is to profit ----> Less profit, dump GPUs, less people mining ----> coins get valuable again ----> people mine again ---->

It's a circle.

It'll go up and down, more risk, more volatile, but I don't think it is going anywhere.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10509 posts
1224 upvotes
Manufactures are stuck. They can ramp up production (which takes time and money), but by the time they have ramped up, the market could collapse and they are stuck with warehouses of unsellable GPUs.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
I ended up buying a PS4 Pro ... couldn't justify the crazy 1000-series card prices.