• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 10:31 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1904 posts
977 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I think there will always be miners. Right now, people aren't really mining BTC. They're mining alt coins and hoping they go up or people are renting out their hardware and receiving BTC as payment. If you want to buy a new card, you're probably SOL. When Volta comes out, there'll probably be an influx of used 10XX cards but do you really want those as I'm betting a large amount of them have been running 24/7 mining. If you're planning on getting Volta, then you're also competing against the miners and gamers looking to get the latest cards, driving up the cost again. It's like a lose lose situation.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Nov 7, 2016
45 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
Now how long would it take one of those rigs konsensei linked to actually make back the money of just the cost of the rig alone (5-10k+!), let alone the cost of electricity etc?! I don't get it...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17656 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
IcarusLSC wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:34 am
Now how long would it take one of those rigs konsensei linked to actually make back the money of just the cost of the rig alone (5-10k+!), let alone the cost of electricity etc?! I don't get it...
It depends on the GPU.
Right now, calculating $0.1kWh of electricity usage; my 1080ti can generate USD $86/month per card.

My rig cost me ~$9K (6x1080ti), so you can figure the ROI. Lol
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4718 posts
2892 upvotes
North York
vkizzle wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 6:20 am
It depends on the GPU.
Right now, calculating $0.1kWh of electricity usage; my 1080ti can generate USD $86/month per card.

My rig cost me ~$9K (6x1080ti), so you can figure the ROI. Lol
You are looking at around 14-15 months.

I look at ROI a different way. I haven't seen mining so profitable for that long. And from what I have seen in the past, 4-5 months would be a good stretch of time for mining. Then sell off the cards.
Your 1080ti was making a lot more last month, now it's roughly $100/month/card. That's $600/month.
For the 5 months time of mining (early Jan - early June), I'd say $3000 approximately, make it $4000 just to be generous. Then you sell off your 6x 1080ti. In order to make back the remaining $5000, you'd have to sell your 1080ti for at least $800/each. Quite a bit tight to sell those cards at 800 I'd say. When 1080 and 1080ti came out last year, 980 was around $250-300 and 980ti was $350-400.

If you are really thinking of keeping 6x 1080ti and mining off them for the whole 14-15 months, I highly doubt you'd make back the whole $9000. And selling those 1080ti in a year and half, look more like prices for 780ti now.

I think either you really go big big scale on mining or you go small, like whatever you have in your gaming PC, and earn an extra $60-70/month when you are not using the computer. It is just not really worth it to just buy inflated cards to mine.

But again, you never know, mining crazes will happen again, and card prices would go up again, and down again. You go big, win big or lose it all. I'd probably just buy cards and sell off to miners, more profit that way. HA!
Nov 7, 2016
45 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
Ah cool I wouldn't have thought it would have been quite that much (85+/crd/mth). Still seems like a waste of time and energy though to me...
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17656 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
konsensei wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:43 am
You are looking at around 14-15 months.

I look at ROI a different way. I haven't seen mining so profitable for that long. And from what I have seen in the past, 4-5 months would be a good stretch of time for mining. Then sell off the cards.
Your 1080ti was making a lot more last month, now it's roughly $100/month/card. That's $600/month.
For the 5 months time of mining (early Jan - early June), I'd say $3000 approximately, make it $4000 just to be generous. Then you sell off your 6x 1080ti. In order to make back the remaining $5000, you'd have to sell your 1080ti for at least $800/each. Quite a bit tight to sell those cards at 800 I'd say. When 1080 and 1080ti came out last year, 980 was around $250-300 and 980ti was $350-400.

If you are really thinking of keeping 6x 1080ti and mining off them for the whole 14-15 months, I highly doubt you'd make back the whole $9000. And selling those 1080ti in a year and half, look more like prices for 780ti now.

I think either you really go big big scale on mining or you go small, like whatever you have in your gaming PC, and earn an extra $60-70/month when you are not using the computer. It is just not really worth it to just buy inflated cards to mine.

But again, you never know, mining crazes will happen again, and card prices would go up again, and down again. You go big, win big or lose it all. I'd probably just buy cards and sell off to miners, more profit that way. HA!
I'm not too worried about taking a loss, as I'm positive I can continue to generate enough to cover the cost of electricity (plus some) to eventually payoff the entire rig.
Cryto isn't going anywhere, as there will always be a need for mining.
With that being said, if it does go to shit, I will just build 2-3 high performing gaming machines.LOL
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1765 posts
360 upvotes
Windsor
westnylefx wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 4:26 pm
So after missing out on the latest nvidia 1080ti batch Im curious how long this shortage can last?

3Months? 6months?

There was some okish non inflated deals over at memoryexpress. as of writing atleast 5 gtx 1060s 339 and afew 1080tis under 1100.

But I saw on nowinstock that they had afew 699.99 usd founders editions that sold within 1 hour. Ive been on that waiting list for nvidia cards for awhile. Im wondering if they sell before the waiting list even gets informed they are in stock.

Im currently sitting on a GTX1050. It works, GTA5, Destiny 2 ect. I dont think FF XV will run that well on this card. So im looking premptively at replacing it.

Also was able to flip afew gtx780s over the past month, those things drink quite abit of power and arent really optimized for current titles my current gtx1050 is beating it in afew instances.

So what are you doing to deal with the shortage did you cash out on a gpu, and how long do you think this can really last?
It can last very long; as long as mining is profitable (which it definitely still is), you're competing against a planet full of people with a lot more money than you (or, at least, a lot more money to throw at their GPUs).

nVidia is coming out with new cards, so you MIGHT get in on launch there, but doubtful. Whatever GPUs they're banking to try and have some stock at launch will probably be sold out in hours, and likely for a lot more than retail, if they're good miners (which we will know before launch). You might get an influx of 10xx cards for people upgrading, but not if the 10xx cards remain profitable.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1300 posts
677 upvotes
Just saw an analysis on the "SeekingAlpha" website that claimed that 9 out of 10 Nvidia GPU's sold in the past few months have been to miners, not gamers:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/414569 ... -time-bomb
Akram's Razor wrote:Because looking at Nov-Jan I have a very hard time believing that 9/10 cards sold didn't end up in miners or mining related hoarders hands. All research indicates the gamers were essentially completely shut out of the market.
Incredible, when you think of it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27827 posts
1919 upvotes
Winnipeg
burnt69 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:24 pm
Just saw an analysis on the "SeekingAlpha" website that claimed that 9 out of 10 Nvidia GPU's sold in the past few months have been to miners, not gamers:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/414569 ... -time-bomb

Incredible, when you think of it.
so how much longer are gamers going to be triggered?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22002 posts
2601 upvotes
I've given up caring about this crap by now. Cards like RX 580 and GTX 1060 never really even came down to good midrange prices and then BOOM all of a sudden they go up to double the prices they were, making it even worse :rolleyes:

Whatever, I don't care how long it takes I'm not buying another new GPU until there's GPUs faster than Hawaii and less than $200 and accordingly faster cards at higher prices. Until then, not interested. These companies (and miners) can go screw themselves in the meantime. I'm not in any kind of rush so whatever a year? Two years? Not my problem.

Like I said in another thread, if cars suddenly doubled in price, is that going to make me want to buy a new car? Ha as if. If $30k cars all of a sudden start selling for $60-70k, who is going to go out and buy one? Someone that'll fall for any kind of scam, that's who. Don't get scammed--don't buy this crap.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17656 posts
5697 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 11:45 am
I've given up caring about this crap by now. Cards like RX 580 and GTX 1060 never really even came down to good midrange prices and then BOOM all of a sudden they go up to double the prices they were, making it even worse :rolleyes:

Whatever, I don't care how long it takes I'm not buying another new GPU until there's GPUs faster than Hawaii and less than $200 and accordingly faster cards at higher prices. Until then, not interested. These companies (and miners) can go screw themselves in the meantime. I'm not in any kind of rush so whatever a year? Two years? Not my problem.

Like I said in another thread, if cars suddenly doubled in price, is that going to make me want to buy a new car? Ha as if. If $30k cars all of a sudden start selling for $60-70k, who is going to go out and buy one? Someone that'll fall for any kind of scam, that's who. Don't get scammed--don't buy this crap.
Actually, the price of vehicles do go up every year.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1765 posts
734 upvotes
Hamilton
I wonder if the new Ampere line will run close to MRSP on release and then get run up in price? Or will the 2070 just immediately sell for $1000?

I really want to upgrade but I'm not paying stupid prices for a card i'm not going to mine with.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4718 posts
2892 upvotes
North York
Gee wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 2:29 pm
With the crazy prices at retail, it’s almost cheaper to buy Quadro
if we do professional work, probably!
other than that, if it's just for normal usage and gaming, a P4000 is around $1000, is nowhere near a GTX 1080, more like a GTX 1070