Food & Drink

How long can I chill cookie dough for before baking?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2010 3:22 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 18, 2010
63 posts
2 upvotes

How long can I chill cookie dough for before baking?

I have this cookie recipe that suggests chilling the dough before baking for it to be soft and chewy. I made the cookies before, but didn't chill them.

I am asking because I plan on making them for an event, but have no time in the morning to bake starting with preparations. I am thinking of making the dough the day before, chilling it in the fridge, and then just baking it in the over the next morning to save time. Is it okay to do this and let it chill for over 12 hours? Or is that too long?

(Chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips.)
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2498 posts
210 upvotes
TinySalmon wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 4:37 pm
I have this cookie recipe that suggests chilling the dough before baking for it to be soft and chewy. I made the cookies before, but didn't chill them.

I am asking because I plan on making them for an event, but have no time in the morning to bake starting with preparations. I am thinking of making the dough the day before, chilling it in the fridge, and then just baking it in the over the next morning to save time. Is it okay to do this and let it chill for over 12 hours? Or is that too long?

As long as you're not freezing the dough, I imagine that you could leave it chilled for as long as you want, provided that the dough stays fresh. That could be for a few days. However, you'd probably want to seal it properly in a container to prevent fridge smells from seeping in.

Actually, you can freeze extra dough too and use it at a later date if you want to make it ahead. Or.. freeze it and eat it raw and frozen like I used to do....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
TinySalmon wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 4:37 pm

Chilling makes it easier to work with. Over night is fine.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
19 upvotes
Keep the dough chilled. If you shape it into a log, all you would have to do is cut it into circles, about 1/4" thick without having to roll and use cutters. That's your best bet I think.
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. - Anonymous
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
5 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Roll it into a log and wrap with wax paper or plastic. You can then freeze it for 3 months or up to 3-4 days in the fridge. Just slice and bake as needed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
0xffff wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 4:46 pm
As long as you're not freezing the dough, I imagine that you could leave it chilled for as long as you want, provided that the dough stays fresh. That could be for a few days. However, you'd probably want to seal it properly in a container to prevent fridge smells from seeping in.

Actually, you can freeze extra dough too and use it at a later date if you want to make it ahead. Or.. freeze it and eat it raw and frozen like I used to do....
You can freeze cookie dough.
I usually make chocolate chip walnut cookies and make a dozen then the rest wrap up in a tube shape in parchment paper and freeze in a ziplock bag.
it is fine for a month or 2.
then I just bake a few cookies as a time and it is fine.

much nicer than those pilsbury things

pilsbury dough sits in the store 3 months, so u should be fine a couple days
× < >