Food & Drink

How long can I keep a fresh raw steak in the fridge?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2007 4:30 pm
Tags:
None
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

How long can I keep a fresh raw steak in the fridge?

I just picked up a rib steak which is about 16 ounces from loblaws's meat counter and its wrapped in the brown paper. I was going to have it tonight but I cant so I I leave it in the brown paper for 1-2 days in the bottom part of my fridge, will that be ok still?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6267 posts
58 upvotes
Etobicoke
Depends on how long it has been sitting in Loblaw's fridge. Also depends on the temp in your fridge. There's no straight answer.

But one thing for sure, the longer you let it sit, the more blood drains from it. And the more blood drains from it, the less juice it'll have. But, at the same time, the longer you let it sit, the more tender it'll get because time allows enzymes to break down the tough tissues.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13263 posts
226 upvotes
Midland
When I buy meat, if I'm not going to be eating it that night, I freeze it. No use letting it sit in the fridge.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
[OP]
May 28, 2005
719 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Had the other piece 3 days later and I'm still fine :) I read online that wrapping meat in a 100% cloth towel will keep it from going bad longer but of course might dry the meat a little.
AudiDude wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 8:49 pm
According to the wise geek, I should be dead 100X over.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
gordholio wrote:
Sep 29th, 2007 8:50 pm
When I buy meat, if I'm not going to be eating it that night, I freeze it. No use letting it sit in the fridge.
But if it was a steaka dn you were going to consume it within the next couple of days, freezing the steak will completely ruin it.

My own rule of thumb is that I'd keep my steak in the fridge for 3 days, max. But that rarely happens since I mostly eat it the day of, or the very next day.
Mar 30, 2004
914 posts
8 upvotes
Newmarket
so when a restaurant claims they have aged their beef for 28 days, how do they keep it?.. if frozen I cannot see the benefit and if left in the fridge, should it not have gone bad?
We have enough youth.. what we need is a fountain of smart
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
4 upvotes
Mountain View, CA
Tjalfe wrote:
Oct 1st, 2007 4:13 pm
so when a restaurant claims they have aged their beef for 28 days, how do they keep it?.. if frozen I cannot see the benefit and if left in the fridge, should it not have gone bad?
Usually for up-scale restaurant, they mean the beef have been dry-aged for 28 days, meaning the beef has been hung in a humidty- and temperature-controlled refridgerated cooler. It reduces the excess moisture in the beef anc concentrate the flavour. There's also wet-aging process too but it's more of the cheaper process and produces less flavour. Not *usually* the choice for better steak house/restaurant
× < >