None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4661 posts
574 upvotes
Markham

How Long A Cashmere Coat Can Last Practically

My dad wants to give me his 100% cashmere coat to me, the problem is he bought it in 90s. The coat looks like neat, but I don’t want to take it and never wear to make him feel I don’t appreciate it, so question is practically how long a pure cashmere long coat can last, is 30 years end of life?
11 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4661 posts
574 upvotes
Markham
For him, not everyday. For me,

Say in winter everyday between January to March?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12350 posts
1864 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The fabric will start getting threadbare in areas like the cuffs and pockets where there is friction, just like with wool. If u want it to last 30 more years, don't wear it everyday. Are u even going to fit in it, though, in the future, or like the style? Will moths get to it? Will u want to purchase a new coat and just leave the old one in the closet for years, taking up space?
Last edited by Becks on Feb 25th, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4728 posts
750 upvotes
Don't think cashmere coats are meant to be worn daily. Most people wear them only to Christmas parties and special functions.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12350 posts
1864 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Your dad should have worn his coat more. Giving other people ur clothes is something I don't like.... it is like poor planning.

And, ya, why not wear a cashmere coat every day. It is replaceable, like cars. Go overseas and get a new coat.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4661 posts
574 upvotes
Markham
Becks wrote: Your dad should have worn his coat more. Giving other people ur clothes is something I don't like.... it is like poor planning.

And, ya, why not wear a cashmere coat every day. It is replaceable, like cars. Go overseas and get a new coat.
Well, I know, but different people have different thoughts especially for old generation. I can tell that to others but not parents:)

I feel at least when I visit him, I would wear it. But since it’s old coat,I do plan to wear it often in winter. I need wear suit to work, so it helps

Thanks for suggestions!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4661 posts
574 upvotes
Markham
Becks wrote: The fabric will start getting threadbare in areas like the cuffs and pockets where there is friction, just like with wool. If u want it to last 30 more years, don't wear it everyday. Are u even going to fit in it, though, in the future, or like the style? Will moths get to it? Will u want to purchase a new coat and just leave the old one in the closet for years, taking up space?
Thanks

Is it easy to fix those linings?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12350 posts
1864 upvotes
City of Vancouver
smartie wrote:
Feb 25th, 2018 7:13 pm
Thanks

Is it easy to fix those linings?
Not sure what you mean. You have a rip in the lining?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11905 posts
1697 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Is it a cashmere trenchcoat?? I have one of those. Perfect for suits on special occasions but no... not the type to wear it everyday. Reminds me of what the mob wears during funerals in the winter, just sayin... lol.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4661 posts
574 upvotes
Markham
aznnorth wrote: Is it a cashmere trenchcoat?? I have one of those. Perfect for suits on special occasions but no... not the type to wear it everyday. Reminds me of what the mob wears during funerals in the winter, just sayin... lol.
Is that because your coat style that you are not comfortable wearing everyday?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7545 posts
1440 upvotes
From some google digging, it seems if the coat was well made, cashmere should be very a durable material for a coat. I would just wear it like you intended and if you see signs of deterioration happening too quickly then just stop, and put into a longer rotation.

The thing is, if it doesn't get wore, then it is not doing any good in a closet and it is not something you may want to pass to your kids anyways so bring it out and wear it.

https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/for ... ere.58820/
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: