Off Topic Archive

Locked: How long of a commute is acceptable to you?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2010 12:45 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 16, 2007
1578 posts
72 upvotes

How long of a commute is acceptable to you?

I used to commute 90 minutes a day but changed jobs and now commute about 50 minutes. I still feel this is a long commute, even though I only travel about 40 kms a day.

How long do you all commute (time/distance)? What do you think is too long?
Share:
66 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
I am currently working from home. Bed to desk is 50 feet in a leisurely 20 seconds (but the commute down the stairs can be tricky)

Longest commute was 50 minutes for about 6 months and I really didn't like it. Total of waste of time sitting on transit; would rather drive.

20 minutes from walking out the door to arriving at the work place is about as much as I'd really "like" to do.
Dec 9, 2006
816 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
my last job was 45 minutes

my current job is 65 minutes

I love the commute of my current job better, the traffic makes a big differences
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
Last job was 20mins, by bus.
~10 mins by car

Current job is 3 mins by car. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3413 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
Depends on the pay. Higher pay, can spend more time commuting, offsetting the opportunity cost.

If you are on minimum wage, I don't think traveling more than an hour to work is a good idea.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3183 posts
198 upvotes
West Side GTA
previous job was 30mins by bicycle and new job is 15 minutes by bicycle :) not to mention there are plenty of bike lanes :)
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2005
2723 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
90minutes by TTC.
Used to it.
I think acceptable would be 30-50 minutes by CAR.
If I had a car, it'd be a 40 minute commute.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
1320 posts
2 upvotes
Langley, BC
Currently my drive to work is between 30-40 mins, though I only travel about 20kms.

Most have it far worse so won't complain too much, though I don't get paid sh** all so definitely sucks.
Heatware
. . . . . . . . .
Jul 5, 2009
456 posts
4 upvotes
Distance: 98 KM door to door
Time: average 50-60 min.

Factor in bad weather, long weekend traffic, incompetent drivers, etc. and the drive has taken 3+ hours many many times, one time I spent 9 hours on the highway and still didn't make it to work (didn't move for 6 hrs lol)

Hwy 400 sucks.
Caveat emptor.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1732 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
joep wrote:
Feb 27th, 2010 11:50 pm
my last job was 45 minutes

my current job is 65 minutes

I love the commute of my current job better, the traffic makes a big differences
You like the longer commute? Wow, that's weird. Mine is ~30-40 minutes, depending on traffic (~30 km). Going against the flow of traffic and during slow times of the day usually.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5653 posts
147 upvotes
New Westminster
My brother was doing average of 75 minutes till he moved to the country; now it is less than 15 minutes to work for him.

Commuting 1hr one way, 10 hours a week, 500 hours a year. 31 full days (16 hour days days a year doing nothing more than driving back and forth to work ... unpaid yet paying for the extra gas/depreciation on a car, etc.

In 40 years of a working life that will be over 4 years of all day driving back and forth to work.

Two hours a day on an 8 hours workday; I'd move closer to work or take a 25 percent pay cut; work closer to home and get a month/year of my life back.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
It depends on my reasons for commuting.
If I am getting good bang for my buck by living an hour away and enjoy a lifestyle from it, then its cool.

But if I was paying rent, I wouldnt live further than 30mins away.

The other consideration is if my workplace is somewhere that I would even want to live near, if I plan to stay there a long time, and if I my next job was likely to be in the same general area.

Finally, is there somewhere else you need to commute to other than work or your home...maybe family, or extracurricular activities, cottage etc?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
1977 posts
39 upvotes
(one way)
50km
1hr average on the 403/401/404

after 3 years it has become a death trap.

slow drivers, bad drivers, cutters, tailgaters... accidents...constructions
#@^&*

i wish i could commute by bus... even if it's longer, at least i can sleep on it
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15088 posts
744 upvotes
Woodbridge
My job s less than 15km/15 minutes.

I hated when I had to drive my sister to work in Mississauga, just off 401/Hurontario. I hate traffic/don't think I would be able to handle it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1326 posts
43 upvotes
Mississauga
5 min walk to Go Station, 18 minute express train to Union, 6 min walk to office. Enough time to read the commuter paper, have a cup of coffee in the morning and then decompress before my real life at home begins :) I could never drive to work unless it was 10 minutes away or less, and I enjoy taking the train.
× < >