Computers & Electronics

how long did you laser printer's toner last for you?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2008 11:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2006
1617 posts
21 upvotes
GTA

how long did you laser printer's toner last for you?

hi i got the samsung ml-2510 not long ago. i think its got the starter toner. start or full toner, what laser do u have and how long has the toner lasted you? plz specify start or full toner. thnx :)
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
20518 posts
1256 upvotes
Aurora
I purchased my laser printer in 1998, the toner was the original one that came with the printer. It ran out in 2006, after 10,021 pages. I have since purchased the high yield toner and it is rated for 10,000 pages. But with light coverage, I expect to get at least 15,000 pages from it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2006
1617 posts
21 upvotes
GTA
omg!!! how many pages??? i read somewhere the full toner for hp laserjet 2605 only yields 3500 pages...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5653 posts
2535 upvotes
Victoria
Konica Minolta Magicolor 2400w

I think it's been about 4 years and it's still on the original starter toners!

If the printer was an inkjet... :mad:
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
10832 posts
427 upvotes
I bought a Samsung ML-1610 around 2 years ago and the starter cartridge is rated for 1000 (?) pages. I don't know how many pages I've printed so far but the cartridge is still going no problem. I already have a refill kit on standby that I got from Tonerkits for $8.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2005
2302 posts
35 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Same here with a Samsung ML-2010 laser, has been over 2-1/2 years with all kinds of printing (kids printing included) and still going strong. I can't say how many pages so far but I'm sure I got my monies worth many pages ago. I wouldn't hesitate to just buy a new unit when this one finally gives up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2006
1617 posts
21 upvotes
GTA
thnx for the input guys. OMG cant believe laser lasts soooooooooo much longer than inkjet. i thought the opposite. damn! well better sooner than later.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
There's no point is asking people how long their toner cartridges lasted in calendar time. The toner cartridges all have a number-of-pages rating. Why not just look it up? Most of the printers (including Samsung) have a function that tells you the number of pages printed if you want. Over several printers of different brands in our office, each printing several thousand average pages a year, we find that we get about the rated page yield - except that we're printing in the "toner save" mode, which is supposed to offer 50% more yield than rated. I would guess therefore that they're all using a similar number-of-pages rating standard, but the standard exaggerates the yield a bit compared to what people really print.

You can't go by the size of toner cartridge - usually there's only one physical cartridge size for a printer, and there's no difference between "high" and "low" capacity cartridges except the amount of toner they put in them.

The trend in recent years has been to make the toner cartridges smaller and smaller, since the suppliers make huge margins on replacement cartridges and almost nothing on the initial sale of the printer. If ever there was an industry that deserved an environmental tax, it's the printer industry.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
182 upvotes
Surrey
Has anyone any experience on lifespan of toner in storage? I see the only way it would have a shortened life would be if it was subjected to excessive moisture, but if it's sealed in its original packaging it should be good for a few years at least. Am I wrong?
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
11238 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
The trend these days is to lower the cost of the printer, and make more revenue on the consumables. This is very common with inkjets, where one can get a unit for $40 after rebates, and spend 2x that on ink alone.

On the topic of laser printer toner, I own an HP Laserjet 2100 (purchased back in 1999 for about $1200) and the toner cartridges last about 5,000 pages. The cost of the toner is about $90. Most new printers, the toners cost the same, but the page count is about 1/2 or 2/3 of mine.

EDIT: Aske001, we are in agreement here on the issue of cost of consumables vs. printer cost.
May 18, 2006
406 posts
28 upvotes
Etobicoke
love my laser printers!!

fine, they're not colour, but they do the job well.
i've had my samsung all in one printer for a year, and i've finished the toner, printed i'd say close to 2500 pages.

refilled for $10 (tonerkits), and its up and running again!

cant beat it
× < >