How long did you use these baby items for , before they outgrow it

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2018 11:25 pm
Dec 8, 2014
369 posts
298 upvotes
Calgary, AB

How long did you use these baby items for , before they outgrow it

New to all these, totally inexperienced.....need advice!
How many months/years did you use these before your baby outgrew/ starts hating it.

1. Crib-
2. Changing pad/Changing Table-
3. Infant seat-
4. Bassinet-
5. Play Yard-
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side-
7. Stroller-
8. Jolly Jumper-
9. Infant Bath tub-
18 replies
Apr 9, 2004
393 posts
158 upvotes
London
1. Crib- 3.25 years
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- Still being used (just shy of 4, needs a diaper/pullup overnight)
3. Infant seat- Infant Car seat? 12mo or Bouncy Chair (around 7-8mo)
4. Bassinet- 15lbs (around 3mo)
5. Play Yard- 2
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- Never used, no longer sold in canada/unsafe.
7. Stroller- 3 years.
8. Jolly Jumper- Never used
9. Infant Bath tub- 7-8mo (when sitting well enough to bathe in the big tub)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Below is the age we stopped using it:

1. Crib- 2.5 to 3 years (our plan - haven't moved yet but will shortly)
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- 2 years. Once he started potty training we then changed him while standing
3. Infant seat- 1 year
4. Bassinet- 4-5 months
5. Play Yard- Never really used as our child hated being "penned up". We have used a pack-n-play for sleeping.
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- We have never used of it or heard it until now
7. Stroller- 2 years
8. Jolly Jumper- 1 year
9. Infant Bath tub- 3 years

Every child is different - and unfortunately that's what you'll learn from this thread.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
1. Never used, purchase and never used. Kids went from bassinet to our bed to their own bed
2. Till they were able to walk. Generally 2 years
3. To age 3, depends on the child and how fast they grow
4. Depends on the child. 6 to 8 months. Was used for daily naps, not good for them but they preferred to sleep in it over the crib
5. Depending on the size, up age 5
6. No idea what that is
7. Till age 3
8. First year
9. Age 2, stopped after they were able to walk.
Aug 5, 2008
808 posts
602 upvotes
1. Crib- He never slept in it lol
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- still use changing pad at 19 months
3. Infant seat- We actually still use it at 19 months, he is a light baby, average height.
4. Bassinet- He preferred the swing (I know... I know)
5. Play Yard- Still use when I'm getting ready but he still hates it. He just hates being confined.
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- 3 months, began to hate it after 1 month old ( Summer By Your Side)
7. Stroller- Still use, I don't really drive. I still babywear. When the weather is good enough, I use the SmartTrike, he tolerates it much more than the stroller.
8. Jolly Jumper- He preferred the Exersaucer and I stopped putting him in the exersaucer when he started to commando crawl (7 months)
9. Infant Bath tub- 11 or 12 months, he finally realized that he can climb out of it.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
1. Crib- till 1yr old. Then moved to own bed

2. Changing pad/Changing Table-
until he was too tall. We then put the changing pad on a malm dresser. We still use the changing table as storage for toys. We put it in a closet.

3. Infant seat-
Carseat? 5 months, it was the graco one that you could put on the stroller, then changed to a seat that could be use for both baby until toddler stage. My 3.5yr old still uses the seat. The seat comes with a headrest that you put once the seat faces forward. For the bouncy seat, I think till 7 months

4. Bassinet- never used

5. Play Yard- 2 years

6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- never used

7. Stroller- 3 yrs old

8. Jolly Jumper- 9 months

9. Infant Bath tub- around 2.
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
1. Crib - kid 3 now, so 6.5 years so far. Each kid was different, but for sure 2 years per kid
2. Changing pad/Changing Table - changing pad, 6.5 years. Until the kids are out of diapers so depending on your kid, likely around 2 years per.
3. Infant seat - off and on as kids were in it, but all 3 kids were in it (I assume you are talking about the travel systems) and its still going strong with kid 3 at 16m. This remains heavily used due to regulations as to when you can flip them into a full sized seat.
4. Bassinet - about 10 days. Scared the snot out of us when the first one involuntarily moved and they freaked when it moved. That was it for us.
5. Play Yard - Didn't have one. Used a playpen (smaller) off and on. Our kids prefer to be more free range :)
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side - never used it
7. Stroller - We've had 3. The travel system one we are still using. Occasionally we used an umbrella stroller when flying/travelling. We also had 2 in a stroller for a period, so we had a double stroller. Buy a good one that is comfortable and has at least 2 cupholders (you'll understand soon). We are on our 2nd set of wheels with the travel system one. 6.5 years and counting. The kids while they are old enough to walk, they get tired quickly so having a stroller is needed for a while (likely the first 3 years or so but I've seen people with 6 year olds in it on their way to kindergarten too)
8. Jolly Jumper - we used an Exersaucer. All 3 kids used it with varying success, but we still stick kid 3 in it when we need to make sure they aren't underfoot for a few minutes. Likely from 6-8 months old (they need to hold up their own neck) until age 18 months or so until they don't want to be trapped/can climb out.
9. Infant Bath tub - 2 or 3 months. Eventually you get more comfortable with the kids and you can co-shower (its often faster and they stay warmer adjacent to someone else putting out heat) until they get old enough to go in the big tub.

10. (cause some kids like it, some hate it) - baby swing - 1 kid loved it and was the only way they'd sleep - 14 months or so. One hated being in it at all, so like 0 months. The third liked it well enough, but....

Good luck. Remember, if it doesn't look like it came out of the box, it can be returned!
Dec 8, 2014
369 posts
298 upvotes
Calgary, AB
whats the sleeping arrangement like for newborn?
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
kaisin82 wrote: whats the sleeping arrangement like for newborn?
The correct answer is in a crib / bassinet in your room. (I.e. in your room but not your bed).

The more common answer I get is... in your bed. And if breastfed, on the boob.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18945 posts
10527 upvotes
Ours sleeps in a bassinet beside the bed.

The other popular option is some will sleep in the bed with the parents (there are things you can get to prevent you from smothering them by rolling over on to them).

Each has pro's and con's - we feel that the baby sleeping in the bed (co-sleeping) is a poor choice in comparison to the bassinet. Others find it a good choice.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
First 3-4 months in the crib by our bed, then moved to our bed for nighttime because it was easier for breastfeeding. Nap was in crib.
Aug 31, 2014
379 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TrevorK wrote: Ours sleeps in a bassinet beside the bed.

The other popular option is some will sleep in the bed with the parents (there are things you can get to prevent you from smothering them by rolling over on to them).

Each has pro's and con's - we feel that the baby sleeping in the bed (co-sleeping) is a poor choice in comparison to the bassinet. Others find it a good choice.
Not just pros and cons or choice... Our baby wouldn't lay down on his own when sleepy, the only way he'll stay asleep is held/ and now in our bed for the first half of the night. So if guess it's a choice of everyone getting sleep vs meltdown in the middle of the night...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
1. Crib- Used until 3 years old, dropped sides, bought real bed around 4
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- 3 years old
3. Infant seat- 3 years old
4. Bassinet- did not use
5. Play Yard- 1 year old
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- did not use
7. Stroller- 6 or 7
8. Jolly Jumper- did not use
9. Infant Bath tub- <1 years old
In their own room, I don't believe in co-sleeping or even sharing a room - it seems children that do won't leave their parents side even when they're older.
Mikaelali wrote: The correct answer is in a crib / bassinet in your room. (I.e. in your room but not your bed).

The more common answer I get is... in your bed. And if breastfed, on the boob.
The opinions are changing sleeping alone has some benefits from the start, but I would avoid cosleeping and/or sharing a room once they past 6 months.
Feb 4, 2017
464 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
My daughter is 10 months

1. Crib- havent used yet
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- 10 months, she moves too much now.
3. Infant seat- (not car?) never.
4. Bassinet- never
5. Play Yard-never
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- stopped using at 5 months (larger size one)
7. Stroller- Everyday
8. Jolly Jumper-never
9. Infant Bath tub- 7 months
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
1. Crib- Used from age 12 months until 2 years, removed side to use as toddler bed until 3 years when younger sibling took over as crib.
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- Use until potty trained.
3. Infant seat- About 4 months, when started to pull up on their own.
4. Bassinet- First 3-4 months, now a great spot to toss clothing.
5. Play Yard- Used until 3 years as a bed when traveling.
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- Coslept for first year without any aids.
7. Stroller- Still use at age 3 when tired or walking a far distance. But definitely first 2 years.
8. Jolly Jumper- only borrowed for a few uses. Exersaucer was used until about 10 months and kids still love to play with the toys on it.
9. Infant Bath tub-
Jan 26, 2014
70 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
1. Crib- never
2. Changing pad/Changing Table- I've changed him everywhere even the backseat of my car or the trunk of my car, I never restricted myself to a change table. A blanket or change pad is good to get
3. Infant seat- 6m. He got too heavy to carry in a basket
4. Bassinet- 1 month
5. Play Yard-never
6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side-no
7. Stroller - at 2.5 to 3. 5 years old, we used it for long outings/trips to nap, rest and carry stuff. We encouraged him to walk as much as possible
8. Jolly Jumper-5 times
9. Infant Bath tub- 9m
[/quote]
Oct 15, 2008
174 posts
75 upvotes
Windsor
We also went with their own room in their own crib. If you get a baby monitor, you have flexibility in where you are while monitoring anyways and if you are the mom, you'll hear them screaming for you regardless of how tired you are. I know people say that there are things so that you can cosleep, but a) I don't trust myself not to roll over into baby b) you still (IMHO) need a place of your own. If baby is now in your bed, where do you go to get away and have quiet time of your own?
Aug 5, 2008
808 posts
602 upvotes
chew1e wrote: We also went with their own room in their own crib. If you get a baby monitor, you have flexibility in where you are while monitoring anyways and if you are the mom, you'll hear them screaming for you regardless of how tired you are. I know people say that there are things so that you can cosleep, but a) I don't trust myself not to roll over into baby b) you still (IMHO) need a place of your own. If baby is now in your bed, where do you go to get away and have quiet time of your own?
I just go to another room.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Triplets turned two last November.
  1. Crib- they still use them
  2. Changing pad/Changing Table- 6 months for changing pad
  3. Infant seat-10 months
  4. Bassinet-2 months
  5. Play Yard-still using it, but seldom used
  6. Dockatot/ Summer by your side- no
  7. Stroller-still using it
  8. Jolly Jumper-4 months of daily use
  9. Infant Bath tub-18 months
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)