Health & Wellness

How long did your tooth extraction hole take to heal?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2018 9:09 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5168 posts
1435 upvotes
Space

How long did your tooth extraction hole take to heal?

Had a 2nd molar extracted and it’s been 5 painful days ( suspected dry socket). The pain comes and goes so who knows. My extraction was complicated, lots of trauma unfortunately. How long did your extraction hole take to seal up the hole? And which tooth was it.
6 replies
Apr 10, 2011
406 posts
181 upvotes
I had my wisdom teeth taken out over 10 years ago, so I can't recall exactly, but I think it was around 2-3 weeks until it didn't feel like I had huge gaping holes in my mouth anymore. 5 days isn't long at all.... give it some more time. Ask your oral surgeon/dentist for a Tylenol 3 prescription, if you haven't already. Hope you feel better soon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5168 posts
1435 upvotes
Space
Now day 8, hopefully this healing moves faster lol. I went in and my dentist confirmed the dry socket issue. Pain seems to have lessened now, which is a godsend. You know what I mean if you get this. For some reason I thought 1-2 weeks and it should seal up, clearly I was wrong lol.
lemmiwinks wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 6:32 pm
I had my wisdom teeth taken out over 10 years ago, so I can't recall exactly, but I think it was around 2-3 weeks until it didn't feel like I had huge gaping holes in my mouth anymore. 5 days isn't long at all.... give it some more time. Ask your oral surgeon/dentist for a Tylenol 3 prescription, if you haven't already. Hope you feel better soon.
Dec 29, 2012
432 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
lemmiwinks wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 6:32 pm
How long was it before you could eat pizza and fried chicken again? I'm on day 5 and eating tofu, soups and soft pasta.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10066 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
I had a wisdom tooth taken out 2 weeks but it was already loose. After a day, it felt like I never even had a tooth there. Healed fine. Was eating solids the next day by day 2 or 3, was eating normally. Only 1 though. I got lucky with that one.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3910 posts
430 upvotes
sorry that you lost your second molar
everyone, and every tooth, will have wildly varying experience when it comes to extractions
your best bet is to follow the post-op instructions given (no straw, no smoking, etc).
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Oct 20, 2010
395 posts
64 upvotes
my first wisdom, took 2 hours to extract and some jaw bone cutting was necessary to remove fragments of the root. It was painful, and about 2 weeks to be back to normal/hole healed.
My second wisdom, was about 5 weeks ago, and 30min procedure, hole healed within days and i was able to eat properly 2 days later.

I should state that both procedures were done at 2 different dentists.