Food & Drink

How long do Red/Purple Bananas take to ripen?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2010 3:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes

How long do Red/Purple Bananas take to ripen?

I bought a bunch of red bananas at Freshco, about two months ago.

I let them sit for a while, and they never seemed to ripen. Threw them in a brown bag and still nothing. They went from being plump, to just skinnier but still stiff. And they havent softened or rotted like the usual yellow bananas.

I was looking forward to eating them for the more fragrant taste.

They look like this. Image
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
13 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
Never seen em, never tried em.

What makes you think they haven't ripened? Maybe they are just plain firmer?
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
TWO MONTHS???
something's wrong here.
they might have just dried up inside.

i've had these before, and always consumed them within a day or two after purchase, and their consistency wasn't too far off from the usual bananas we get. i found the taste to be a little nuttier, and more tasty. i would buy them all the time, if they were cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6002 posts
133 upvotes
LOL, why didn't you just try one to see if it was ready? 2 months? They must be garbage now.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
neutral wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 3:58 pm
LOL, why didn't you just try one to see if it was ready? 2 months? They must be garbage now.
Tried them within the first couple of days. Hard and gross.

Was hoping they would ripen, and still nothing. Most bananas will get softer. Not these bad boys.

And these bananas aren't just cooking bananas, you can eat them raw, and they taste better than plain yellow bananas. Apparently.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10040 posts
104 upvotes
originalnutta wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 4:15 pm
And these bananas aren't just cooking bananas, you can eat them raw, and they taste better than plain yellow bananas. Apparently.

That's what the gypsy told you?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 4:22 pm
That's what the gypsy told you?

internet != gypsy.
Oct 24, 2007
745 posts
16 upvotes
BC
Wikipedia says they should ripen in a few days.. 2 months seems too long. You could try putting other ripe fruits with them (esp apples) to hasten the process..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
6002 posts
133 upvotes
originalnutta wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 4:15 pm
Tried them within the first couple of days. Hard and gross.

Was hoping they would ripen, and still nothing. Most bananas will get softer. Not these bad boys.

I've never tried them, so now you have me curious. I guess the problem is there is no way to tell with the peel if it's ripe like with a yellow banana? 2 months is definitely too long though. They must have needed a few more days after you tried one.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes
neutral wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2010 5:01 pm
I've never tried them, so now you have me curious. I guess the problem is there is no way to tell with the peel if it's ripe like with a yellow banana? 2 months is definitely too long though. They must have needed a few more days after you tried one.

They say the peel will bruise and discolour when ripening. Mine did, after awhile. But it was still tough to open the banana and i had to use a knife on both occasions.

They should look like picture i posted, when ripened. When i bought them, they looked like plastic and i snuck them into our fake fruit bowl and no one could tell. They had a glossy sheen on the peel and no blemishes.

Il buy another batch, if i can find them again. I'm very curious as to how they taste.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12205 posts
92 upvotes

Good News, Everyone!

So these bloody things ripened. How weird is that.

Like friggin two months later. They are delicious, but smaller in size. They are more orange than yellow, and do have stronger banana flavour and scent.

I made the best smoothie yesterday.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17602 posts
732 upvotes
Brampton
Way to go, Farnsworth! I am curious to try these myself.
come troll our unofficial chatroom at #redflagdeals on EFnet
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
5920 posts
1153 upvotes
Scarborough
I saw these at a Chinese grocery store the other day. Might have to give them a try. I don't want to wait 2 months for them to ripen though!
× < >