Off Topic Archive

Locked: How long do you leave your Christmas lights up?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2012 11:38 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9181 posts
229 upvotes
Brampton

How long do you leave your Christmas lights up?

It is now January 2, 2012. I still have my Christmas lights up and on. How long after Christmas and New Years do you leave your lights up/on? When do you take your decorations and Christmas tree down?
Share:
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
3770 posts
231 upvotes
Calgary
12th Night
Twelfth Night (5th January) is when all Christmas Decorations should be removed so as not to bring bad luck upon the home. If decorations are not removed on Twelfth Night, they should stay up all year.

Why is it bad luck to leave the decorations up after Twelfth Night?

Long ago it was thought that leaving the decorations up would cause a disaster. People believed that tree-spirits lived in the greenery (holly, ivy etc) they decorated their houses with. The greenery was brought into the house to provide a safe haven for the tree-spirits during the harsh midwinter days. Once this period was over it was necessary to return the greenery back outside to release the tree-spirits into the countryside once again. Failure to do this would mean that vegetation would not be able to start growing again (spring would not return), leading to an agricultural disaster.

It was also thought that, if you left the greenery in the house, the tree-spirits would cause mischief in the house until they were released.

Today people still feel uneasy about leaving the Christmas decorations up after Twelfth Night. Despite decorations now being made of foil or paper, and even though the tree-spirits are long forgotten, the superstition still survives.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17076 posts
1422 upvotes
Poormond Hill
My lights came down as soon as the clock striked 12:00:01 a.m on Dec 26!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1958 posts
148 upvotes
Christmas decorations really should be left up until the 12th day of Christmas.

I can't stand it when people take them down before hand. Then you've got all the tree chipping services that start up the first weekend after Christmas, usually half way through Christmas.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1019 posts
69 upvotes
Dieppe
I'm putting my tree away sometime in the next 2 or 3 days I think.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23275 posts
1434 upvotes
Markham
We took ours off on December 25th, we don't celebrate Xmas.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
13891 posts
914 upvotes
Thornhill
we have decor we left up the entire year for the heck of it... not talking lights or things like that - these are pretty visible.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2515 posts
412 upvotes
I took mines off today.
Banned
Dec 11, 2011
104 posts
3 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
i keep the outdoor lights up all year and use them when they need to be used.. why take them down just to put them back up?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
wal3145 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 10:14 pm
I took mines off today.

Same here. Before it gets too cold.
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1291 posts
1119 upvotes
My family typically kept them until the second week of january.
My sister's bday is on Jan 10th, and growing up, whenever we had kids over and parties, it just looked more festive to have lights and decorations during that time too.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3218 posts
522 upvotes
Sask.
Our 'outdoor' lights are actually inside on the windows - those, plus the Christmas tree (real), we leave up and on until the Ukrainian Christmas season is over (we celebrate on both calendars) - so sometime after Epiphany (Jan. 19). We don't get our tree til the week before Gregorian Christmas, and watch what type we buy, so it lasts til then!

So, kind of as others said, basically the 12 days of Christmas -
× < >