Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 2, 2010
197 posts
1 upvote
halton region

how long does an average "wax" last?

based on my research, of course the answer is it all depends on UV rays, how often you drive the car, the type of wax used and did one polish, claybar etc etc. ok, just a plain simple question that may serve as a good "baseline" -

if you park the vehicle (say for winter storage) in a heated garage and do not use it - and you wax it with the following products: how long will the wax last?

a) collinite 845
b) collinite 476
c) meguiars nxt 2.0 liquid tech wax
d) meguiars nxt 2.0 tech paste wax
e) zaino
f) mothers carnauba

in short, will it matter what wax you use to store your car for the winter assuming you dont drive it? i would think that it shouldnt but the process of oxidation may have something to do with it?

thanks all!
10 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17046 posts
2611 upvotes
Thornhill
It depends if the wax is synthetic or carnauba as well, the former lasts longer than the latter, but with some aesthetic tradeoffs.
Sep 15, 2006
923 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
cavium303 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 11:31 am
based on my research, of course the answer is it all depends on UV rays, how often you drive the car, the type of wax used and did one polish, claybar etc etc. ok, just a plain simple question that may serve as a good "baseline" -

if you park the vehicle (say for winter storage) in a heated garage and do not use it - and you wax it with the following products: how long will the wax last?

a) collinite 845
b) collinite 476
c) meguiars nxt 2.0 liquid tech wax
d) meguiars nxt 2.0 tech paste wax
e) zaino
f) mothers carnauba

in short, will it matter what wax you use to store your car for the winter assuming you dont drive it? i would think that it shouldnt but the process of oxidation may have something to do with it?

thanks all!
For storage without major light and without rain, pretty much all of these waxes will last all winter long.

For a typical outdoor use, I'd say:
a) collinite 845: 6 to 8 months
b) collinite 476: 6 to 8 months with a sliiiight edge on 845
c) meguiars nxt 2.0 liquid tech wax: 1 to 2 months
d) meguiars nxt 2.0 tech paste wax: 4 months
e) zaino: 4 months
f) mothers carnauba: 1 to 2 months
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11891 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Xcessiv wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 12:32 pm
For a typical outdoor use, I'd say:
a) collinite 845: 6 to 8 months
b) collinite 476: 6 to 8 months with a sliiiight edge on 845
Curious... I thought most paste waxes were a little more durable than their liquid counterparts?

Loving 476 on my car, it is fantastic.
Deal with it.
Sep 15, 2006
923 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
KorruptioN wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 12:42 pm
Curious... I thought most paste waxes were a little more durable than their liquid counterparts?

Loving 476 on my car, it is fantastic.
I agree about that statement in general, but I see many different opinions about 845 vs 476. Some tests reveal 476 > 845, some others 476 = 845.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25444 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
They can all say that they will last xx months but in fact the environment will dictate how long it has a useful life.
The amount of times you wash the car, the type and concentration of soap, the rain, the location of the rain (in smoggy city or in the country), in the sun, direct sun or shade, the water you rinse the car with (well water, hard water, soft water). How well you prepped the car before you waxed it (regardless if it is a wax or a silicon compound), the initial condition of the surface and finish, the as well, the composition of the product you are applying on the surface not to mention how much of it you are putting on. And so on and so on.
So honestly, I really think that any of them will do a very good job (probably indistinguishable form each other if all are properly applied) and last as long as can be reasonably expected but, it is a surface finish and will not last forever.
Me, I use the least expensive on and apply it a bit more often.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2010
197 posts
1 upvote
halton region
ok thanks. just wanted to have an idea for storing cars...
Nov 29, 2005
605 posts
1145 upvotes
Burnaby
Has anybody used this product (Autoglym HD Wax):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... 52BKit.jsp

Just wondering if the conditions was similar to what the OP has asked, how long would this last and is this a good product to use in comparison of pricing and quality to other products? thanks :)
Feb 12, 2010
508 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
actionj wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 1:53 pm
Has anybody used this product (Autoglym HD Wax):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... 52BKit.jsp

Just wondering if the conditions was similar to what the OP has asked, how long would this last and is this a good product to use in comparison of pricing and quality to other products? thanks :)
I got yesterday $100 on AG products at CT. Change back to summer Tires this morning and I tried AG Custom Wheel Cleaner, really good stuff, pretty similar or probably better than P21S Gel :) .

Waiting for better weather to try the AG HD Wax, probably for the OP question I rather go with Collinite 476 or 845 people love the long protection they give to the car.

Found some nice videos about the AutoGlym HD wax beading, this is after 4 washes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31N-vHVb6Ck

Im going to try the wax this summer but I dont change my Collinite for Winter.

By the way, can anyone teach me how to attach pictures to the post?

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
1271 posts
7 upvotes
I'm going to try the autoglym interior cleaner see how that goes...

You have to create an account with an image sharing site, ie photobucket and then when you post. you have the option to click on the Image then a window will come up you put the URL of the picture from photo bucket and you're good.
Feb 12, 2010
508 posts
8 upvotes
Ontario
CdTriX wrote:
Apr 7th, 2010 2:40 pm
I'm going to try the autoglym interior cleaner see how that goes...

You have to create an account with an image sharing site, ie photobucket and then when you post. you have the option to click on the Image then a window will come up you put the URL of the picture from photo bucket and you're good.
Thanks Im going to try to attach some pictures.
Got the Vinyl & Ruber Care AG as well lets see if is better than the 303 AP.
CT 25% off this week on AG products.
× < >