Automotive

How long does a driver license suspension affect my insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 8:45 am
Jul 15, 2012
303 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How long does a driver license suspension affect my insurance?

I got a ticket for improper school bus passing last year and i went with a lawyer, i got an email that i had been convicted but no notice to pay or anything. I thought i would receive a notice in the mail but alas i got one today that my license has been suspended as of the 5th of July due to unpaid fines.
I made a payment today to service ontario, how long will this suspension affect my insurance record for?
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12459 posts
2170 upvotes
GTA
Hmmmm. What type of suspension effects it?
Jul 15, 2012
303 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How long before both come off my record for insurance?Astonished Face
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
dreadaboi wrote: How long before both come off my record for insurance?Astonished Face
Did you read the article?

C
Jul 15, 2012
303 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yea lol it doesn't affect it and it comes off right away, i was more so wondering about the school bus ticket since you seem knowledgeable
Jul 15, 2012
303 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard 3 years for tickets as well that's why i was conflicted
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
dreadaboi wrote: I heard 3 years for tickets as well that's why i was conflicted
MOT shows them on your record for 3 years.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1467 posts
135 upvotes
dreadaboi wrote: I got a ticket for improper school bus passing last year and i went with a lawyer, i got an email that i had been convicted but no notice to pay or anything. I thought i would receive a notice in the mail but alas i got one today that my license has been suspended as of the 5th of July due to unpaid fines.
I made a payment today to service ontario, how long will this suspension affect my insurance record for?
1) How long ago did you get the notice of suspension?

2) Administrative suspensions (unpaid fines) do not affect insurance.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1467 posts
135 upvotes
dreadaboi wrote: I heard 3 years for tickets as well that's why i was conflicted
Some insurance companies ask about suspensions in the last 6 years.

It may not affect your rates but if you lie about your past its grounds to cancel your policy. Also, any previous cancellation of policy is another question you`re typically asked.

It's a trap!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1467 posts
135 upvotes
dreadaboi wrote: I got a ticket for improper school bus passing last year and i went with a lawyer, i got an email that i had been convicted but no notice to pay or anything. I thought i would receive a notice in the mail but alas i got one today that my license has been suspended as of the 5th of July due to unpaid fines.
Sorry i just re-read this.

Did you file intent to fight the ticket? I went through a similar ordeal years back over a speeding ticket and never got notice for a court appearance. I also never received notice of conviction, just the one letting me know i was now suspended due to unpaid fines.

Here's what you do if you filed intent to fight it:

1) If you already paid the fine/licence restoration fee then keep receipts.
2) Go see a Justice of the Peace down on Edward street (downtown). Explain to him you filed to fight the ticket but never received a court date or notice of conviction. Bring your original ticket if you still have it as it should have the receipt when you went to file it. *note i didn't keep mine and he still helped me*
3) The JP will issue an order removing your suspension and waiving the fee to restore you licence. They will also schedule a new court date for you to fight your ticket.

It may be too late now if you paid everything, but if i recall just to get your licence back from suspension is $150. So maybe it's still worth it for you to get that back in your pocket.

If you need any further help with the above let me know.

GL!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
ctrueman82 wrote: Sorry i just re-read this.

Did you file intent to fight the ticket? I went through a similar ordeal years back over a speeding ticket and never got notice for a court appearance. I also never received notice of conviction, just the one letting me know i was now suspended due to unpaid fines.

Here's what you do if you filed intent to fight it:

1) If you already paid the fine/licence restoration fee then keep receipts.
2) Go see a Justice of the Peace down on Edward street (downtown). Explain to him you filed to fight the ticket but never received a court date or notice of conviction. Bring your original ticket if you still have it as it should have the receipt when you went to file it. *note i didn't keep mine and he still helped me*
3) The JP will issue an order removing your suspension and waiving the fee to restore you licence. They will also schedule a new court date for you to fight your ticket.

It may be too late now if you paid everything, but if i recall just to get your licence back from suspension is $150. So maybe it's still worth it for you to get that back in your pocket.

If you need any further help with the above let me know.

GL!
This.

Also, you got a lawyer?
What for? If you got convicted anyways?
You did not know you were convicted and you had a lawyer?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I'll say the lawyer is pretty useless. Sounds like you have to do everything yourself anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
Any lic suspensions will stay on your insurance record for 6 years; however, depending on the type of suspension, it may not affect your insurance. Lic suspensions for unpaid fines dont affect your rates; however, you still have to disclose it to the insurance company.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
all do ask for lic suspension in the past 6 years, its a question on the auto application.
ctrueman82 wrote: Some insurance companies ask about suspensions in the last 6 years.

It may not affect your rates but if you lie about your past its grounds to cancel your policy. Also, any previous cancellation of policy is another question you`re typically asked.

It's a trap!
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Jul 12, 2017
16 posts
5 upvotes
Hi ctrueman82

Can you give me the name of the JP you have spoken to?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1467 posts
135 upvotes
omaroz92 wrote: Hi ctrueman82

Can you give me the name of the JP you have spoken to?
It was a long time ago, sorry i don't remember. Either way when you sign in and explain to the clerk she will likely just assign you to whoever is on duty at that time.

It gets busy during lunch/after work. If you can make time in the morning to go that would be ideal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)