• Dec 2nd, 2015 6:19 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1320 posts
95 upvotes

How Long Does Icewine Last?

I happen to rummage through an old closet and found lying on its side an unopened bottle of 1997 Inniskillin Vidal Select Ice Wine. I recall many years a go I thought that I would store it and give it as a gift one day. Well that day never came and I was wondering:

(1) Is it still safe to drink if i drank it today?
(2) Should I keep it longer and age it and if so, how long?

I've read on the internet that vidal ice wines can be kept 5-7 years although it has been noted that Inniskillin Ice Wines from the 1980s are reportedly superb.
20 replies
Aug 22, 2003
15531 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Drink it, it's prefectly safe to drink. As you read, you can age them 5-7 years but you're at 9 years now. Uncork it and enjoy! :)
Mar 23, 2006
418 posts
5 upvotes
People can't really agree on how long ice wines should be aged. Those that believe the ice wines should be stored for years believe that the high sugar and acidity levels make ice wine perfect for aging. Those that believe that ice wine should be drank within the year, hold that aging ice wine will cause it to lose it's distinctive acidity and fruitiness.

So really, there is no right answer, however, it is safe to say you can still drink your wine, assuming the closet didn't have a heater or a/c vent in it.

I would also like to take this opportunity to address the myth that the older a bottle of wine is the better it will taste. Once again, all wines age differently and each have their own peak based on personal preferences.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2005
3367 posts
68 upvotes
Mmmmmmm icewine. Eat, drink, and be merry.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12166 posts
277 upvotes
as long as its unopened it should be fine, but if it was previously opened it will barely last 30 days in the fridge.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1282 posts
1 upvote
Montreal, QC
I heard people (in France) say that white wine does not age as well as red wine, although good white wines can be kept up to about 10 years. If the cork is still providing a good seal then it should be drinkable. Storage conditions are important too though...

I drank a 6 year old bottle of French "vendange tardive" last year and it was time to drink it, as it had a slightly "corked" taste.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
170 upvotes
BC
it should be fine. i had a bottle put away for 5 or 6 years, and it was great when it was opened.
That's my 2cents worth
Nov 14, 2003
861 posts
3 upvotes
I've got an unopened bottle of Strewn Vidal 1998 in my fridge. I'm not sure when it was put in there. Do you think it's still good? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5406 posts
170 upvotes
BC
batcave wrote:I've got an unopened bottle of Strewn Vidal 1998 in my fridge. I'm not sure when it was put in there. Do you think it's still good? :confused:
if its standing upright theres always the chance that the cork has dried out. no better way to find out than opening it!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5794 posts
419 upvotes
Even if you die.At least you would have exited in style. What better way to die than by ice wine. :D Much better than that Coke stuff. ;)
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
45 upvotes
AFAIR sweet wines don't age in bottles (ageing process happens only in barrels). But either wine is perfectly safe to drink or you would understand that something is wrong from 1st sip. That's the beauty of wine.
Nov 27, 2004
974 posts
174 upvotes
wali wrote:Don't open it, sell it on Ebay.
i have the same bottle but mine was from 2000 if anyone is interested in buying it...=P

can you sell alcohol on ebay?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2807 posts
21 upvotes
How Long Does Icewine Last? ... Depends how fast you drink ;)
× < >