• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2011 3:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
IronMac wrote: It's a philosophy. Notice how in this thread and in the other thread how you put down medical reasons as sort of last as to why not to have cats in the house? People put down first those reasons that are most important to them. Pretty telling...

Your cats are just fine? One has just gone MIA. Of course, your philosophy says it's "fine". Good job on letting it have a long life.

Let's not get personal here but I am not even in TO right now. I'm not even in North America. Laughable...someone living in the sticks telling me about a whole world outside of TO.

Face the facts, tons of households in this country have their pets living outside.

Whats pretty telling? That I dont want to sneeze in my house all the time

So know your bashing some more, your location says TO.

Needless to say, my cats, and millions of other in this country are outside cats, on purpose.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, unfortunately for the cats, that is so true.
Spidey wrote: Needless to say, my cats, and millions of other in this country are outside cats, on purpose.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Wait a sec..you're missing two cats in a month? The brother and Doritos? Geeze, your little slice of rural heaven is now coyote buffet central.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
IronMac wrote: Wait a sec..you're missing two cats in a month? The brother and Doritos? Geeze, your little slice of rural heaven is now coyote buffet central.

One came back, just out on a walk about.

And if she didnt, so be it. Whats worse, being locked up at the SPCA waiting to be put down because no one wants them, or out here at for a chance of a life.

So you think coyotes are only limited to rural. Maybe read some more
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
One came back but you didn't update us until now? Ooook...

Where did I say that I thought that coyotes are only rural? I knew since I was a kid that coyotes go into the suburbs (anyone else see that Disney film from the '70s?) Anyways, we all know about the coyote in the Beaches in TO. Duh!

Spidey wrote: One came back, just out on a walk about.

And if she didnt, so be it. Whats worse, being locked up at the SPCA waiting to be put down because no one wants them, or out here at for a chance of a life.

So you think coyotes are only limited to rural. Maybe read some more
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1210 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
I really didn't want to get into this back and forthness, but I find myself compelled to say this:

Spidey, if you don't want them in the house (even half outside/half inside) and are allergic, please do not get any more pets. I really mean this in a loving way. Domesticated cats and dogs crave attention. The notion of the stuck up pretentious cat (while occasionally true) does not hold true for most cats that crave a chin scratch, a tummy rub, an a good snooze with their master.

I am merely not being silent because I am an absolute lover of all critters big and small (minus spiders... even though they eat bugs).
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
dibksbgon wrote: I really didn't want to get into this back and forthness, but I find myself compelled to say this:

Spidey, if you don't want them in the house (even half outside/half inside) and are allergic, please do not get any more pets. I really mean this in a loving way. Domesticated cats and dogs crave attention. The notion of the stuck up pretentious cat (while occasionally true) does not hold true for most cats that crave a chin scratch, a tummy rub, an a good snooze with their master.

I am merely not being silent because I am an absolute lover of all critters big and small (minus spiders... even though they eat bugs).

Who says we dont pay time and attention to them. They just arent in our house, doesnt mean we are inside 24 hours a day. Weekends and weeknights we are outside alot, and they get that attention from us. They get all you mentioned except its not inside.

Why do so many pet owners think that pets hate the outdoors so much?
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
First off, when you are outside on the weekends and weeknights how much time do you really spend with them? Not a lot because you have other things to do and to enjoy. Plus, there is no way you are outside that much in the wintertime! Let's be perfectly honest, you're in a pretty cold place for a great part of the year.

Second, wherever did you get the idea that pet owners think that pets hate the outdoors? No one has ever said that here.

Spidey wrote: Who says we dont pay time and attention to them. They just arent in our house, doesnt mean we are inside 24 hours a day. Weekends and weeknights we are outside alot, and they get that attention from us. They get all you mentioned except its not inside.

Why do so many pet owners think that pets hate the outdoors so much?
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
IronMac wrote: First off, when you are outside on the weekends and weeknights how much time do you really spend with them? Not a lot because you have other things to do and to enjoy. Plus, there is no way you are outside that much in the wintertime! Let's be perfectly honest, you're in a pretty cold place for a great part of the year.

Second, wherever did you get the idea that pet owners think that pets hate the outdoors? No one has ever said that here.

So your saying when your in your house you are constantly sitting and playing with your cat? When you are rinside your have other things to do and enjoy as well.

Either or, this is the way alot of people have their pets live, myself included.

The way you treat your pet is just the way you do it, the way we do is another way.

Dogs and cats can and do live a long healthy life being outside.

Animals in the city have dangers as well to contend with that we dont, and vice versa.

Even so, my pets will continue to be outside.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Spidey, it's amazing how stubborn you are. First, I've just shot down your contention that you can spend as much time with your pets as people who keep them inside do. Am I right? Yes, I am. You just won't admit it.

Second, I've already posted a link to research which shows that cats outside do not live as long. My own experience shows that they don't live as long. And, if you accept that you spend less time with outside pets than you do with inside pets, then, you simply can't monitor their health as closely. Ergo, they are going to get sick and "disappear". Therefore, your conclusion that cats live long healthy lives outside is simply wrong.

And, of course, you will leave your cats outside. Despite solid facts and reasoning, you adhere to your faith.

And, finally, back to your original question, in my experience, female cats will not wander away from their territory. Any time after 3-4 days and I assume that they are gone for good. I can't say much about male cats, neuterer or unneutered but the former will also rarely stray.

Spidey wrote: So your saying when your in your house you are constantly sitting and playing with your cat? When you are rinside your have other things to do and enjoy as well.

Either or, this is the way alot of people have their pets live, myself included.

The way you treat your pet is just the way you do it, the way we do is another way.

Dogs and cats can and do live a long healthy life being outside.

Animals in the city have dangers as well to contend with that we dont, and vice versa.

Even so, my pets will continue to be outside.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
IronMac wrote: Spidey, it's amazing how stubborn you are. First, I've just shot down your contention that you can spend as much time with your pets as people who keep them inside do. Am I right? Yes, I am. You just won't admit it.

Second, I've already posted a link to research which shows that cats outside do not live as long. My own experience shows that they don't live as long. And, if you accept that you spend less time with outside pets than you do with inside pets, then, you simply can't monitor their health as closely. Ergo, they are going to get sick and "disappear". Therefore, your conclusion that cats live long healthy lives outside is simply wrong.

And, of course, you will leave your cats outside. Despite solid facts and reasoning, you adhere to your faith.

And, finally, back to your original question, in my experience, female cats will not wander away from their territory. Any time after 3-4 days and I assume that they are gone for good. I can't say much about male cats, neuterer or unneutered but the former will also rarely stray.

Actually its not wrong because your research shows cats that live within the city living outside, not out of the city

2 totally different ways of life, so you cant compare them, because they arent the same

How cant we monitor their health, we see them everyday.

YEs I will continue to leave them outside, nothing will change
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2005
3243 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
And, based on you as a sample size, you've already lost 33% of your cat population in less than 3 years. Congrats.

Spidey wrote: Actually its not wrong because your research shows cats that live within the city living outside, not out of the city

2 totally different ways of life, so you cant compare them, because they arent the same

How cant we monitor their health, we see them everyday.

YEs I will continue to leave them outside, nothing will change
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
IronMac wrote: And, based on you as a sample size, you've already lost 33% of your cat population in less than 3 years. Congrats.

well out of those 3 cats, they would of all died an early death anyway. Better to give them a chance then to make sure they are dead.

As for disease, they get their annual vaccinations, worm pills, etc. They have as much chance of catching something as a city cat.

And if we do lose these, there are more we can get as well. Lots of people dont get their cats fixed, so there are always plenty of cats that are given away, or the SPCA as well that will be fixed before we get them.

Stop living in a bubble, there are barn and farm cats all over this country. Nothings going to change, and Im certaintly not going to just from your stats. Can they get hit by a car, sure. But then again, so can us humans, do we just decide to live inside our entire lives for the "just in case"
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3711 posts
1395 upvotes
Ottawa
What Spidey is doing isn't wrong at all. Cats are meant naturally to be outdoors even though they have been domesticated for 4,000 years, don't you notice cats still have some of the instincts and personalities of a wild cat?. Also, don't you notice indoor cats always sit by the window?. They want to be outside. Even though my cat is indoor only, I don't take offence to what Spidey is doing. Better for those cats to have some freedom and live a short life than be locked up in a cage at a shelter
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
yeah I'm not sure I see the issue here... I have a cat and when I first found her I would have never thought about letting her roam outside. I learned my lesson pretty quick. When she got old enough she literally would start tearing holes in the window screens if they were open and lift the screen so it popped out of the bottom a bit and she'd slip her way out. Most cats want to be outside and want to roam around and hunt. Now it's pretty simple... she wants out she walks over to the door or stands at the window. She wants in she stands by the window to the door or finds an open window and climbs there meowing till you let her in. My cute little cat that I got about 10 years ago can't get enough of being outside and for years on end has been hunting mice, birds, rabbits and anything else outside while she's out.

I'm sorry if some people have a fat spoiled cat that just sits there and expects to be fed and pet all day. Maybe you're treating your cat poorly if you let it get that way.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote: yeah I'm not sure I see the issue here... I have a cat and when I first found her I would have never thought about letting her roam outside. I learned my lesson pretty quick. When she got old enough she literally would start tearing holes in the window screens if they were open and lift the screen so it popped out of the bottom a bit and she'd slip her way out. Most cats want to be outside and want to roam around and hunt. Now it's pretty simple... she wants out she walks over to the door or stands at the window. She wants in she stands by the window to the door or finds an open window and climbs there meowing till you let her in. My cute little cat that I got about 10 years ago can't get enough of being outside and for years on end has been hunting mice, birds, rabbits and anything else outside while she's out.

I'm sorry if some people have a fat spoiled cat that just sits there and expects to be fed and pet all day. Maybe you're treating your cat poorly if you let it get that way.

Thing I see and read alot about is over weight cats, and then cats that need teeth cleaning. None of my cats have the worry, due to them being on their own more. Weight loss, when they are out walking around and climbing trees and doing the things that cats do, we dont have to worry about that. Same as their teeth, sure they east dry store bought food, but their entire diet doesnt consists of store bought treats and food.

Say what you will, but just becaue your cat is 100% inside, doesnt mean it has a better life than an outside cat.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
You're wasting your time Spidey. Almost everyone on this site has lived their entire life in a major city, they have different philosophies and beliefs and will never see the other side. Urbanites are known for being very ignorant of how those of us in rural Canada live.

I grew up in Toronto, but now live in the sticks and am very quickly adapting to how things are out here. Hell, many people out here don't even let their dogs inside. The dogs out here aren't family pets, they live outside and get put to work from time to time, usually hunting. I personally could never let my dog live outside nor would she want to, but I do understand that it's a different mentality and most out here have been raised with that mentality. To them, a dog is a tool first and a pet second. That obviously doesn't apply to everyone out here, but it does apply to quite a bit, and I'm not even that far into the sticks. I imagine the further into the sticks you go, the more you'll see people who have animals for reasons other than family pets.

People who have never lived here with never understand Spidey, so I wouldn't try to convince them. I don't think keeping cats indoors their whole lives is wrong, the same as I don't think having one live outside is wrong, it's just a different mentality.

In the bigger picture, cats haven't been domesticated all that long and still have a lot of wild instincts, far more than dogs do. Very few dogs can survive on their own, almost every cat could learn to survive on its own, and a lot of cats want to be outside as opposed to being inside.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
Spidey wrote: Thing I see and read alot about is over weight cats, and then cats that need teeth cleaning. None of my cats have the worry, due to them being on their own more. Weight loss, when they are out walking around and climbing trees and doing the things that cats do, we dont have to worry about that. Same as their teeth, sure they east dry store bought food, but their entire diet doesnt consists of store bought treats and food.

Say what you will, but just becaue your cat is 100% inside, doesnt mean it has a better life than an outside cat.

:( Did you even read my post :( I was agreeing with you saying I have no idea why it would be a problem to keep outdoor cats.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote: :( Did you even read my post :( I was agreeing with you saying I have no idea why it would be a problem to keep outdoor cats.

Yes I did. The post wasnt towards you, just another point for the people that think having outdoor cats is cruel.

Sorry about that

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)