Home & Garden

How long does it take to dry your clothes?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2007 4:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 18, 2006
867 posts
13 upvotes

How long does it take to dry your clothes?

We just got a new electric dryer. It takes approx. 1 hour to dry a full normal load of clothes. The exhaust pipe runs about 15 ft. with two 90's before it gets outside. Does 1 hour to dry your clothes in the dryer sound about right?
30 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
1072 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to do the drying in my gas dryer. Mind you, gas is actually not as good as electric for drying clothes as it outputs slightly more moist heat than electric (water vapour from the gas combustion). Also, my clothes come out very well wrung-out form my european washing machine. An hour seems long to me, maybe you're overloading it?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10092 posts
954 upvotes
Brampton
jperras wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2007 7:46 pm
We just got a new electric dryer. It takes approx. 1 hour to dry a full normal load of clothes. The exhaust pipe runs about 15 ft. with two 90's before it gets outside. Does 1 hour to dry your clothes in the dryer sound about right?
40 minutes or less in our LG electric dryer :)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
Is all your exhaust pipe rigid or is some of it flex pipe? Flex pipe reduces the total distance you can have for you exhaust (as do the elbows) because of the increased resistance. Check your manual for calculating the maximum exhaust run allowed for your model.

Certain exhaust terminations can also reduce airflow more than others. Also make sure there is no lint buildup outside and vent is clear.

If the airflow is restricted your clothes will take longer than normal to dry
[OP]
Feb 18, 2006
867 posts
13 upvotes
Well the washing machine is new as well, and the clothes seem to be pretty well rung out when finished. As I said earlier, the length of the exhaust run is 15 feet with 2 90's in there. I have to use the flexible stuff for the exhaust due to this being an old house and the pipes skim both the legs of an old sink and a rather large septic pipe in the way. The manual states a maximum of 17 feet with 2 90's when using flexible pipes.

Also everthing is brand new, so no dust or anything to clog up the exhaust yet. The old dryer that was replaced took 1 hour as well to dry the clothes, but I always thought that was because the exhaust was starting to get clogged and the dryer was nearing the end of its life. With the new dryer set up, when I go outside to check out the exhaust, the air seems quite hot and is blowing quite powerful...

I guess I could try installing the straight rigid exhaust pipe which will be a pain, and I'll have to use 4 90's, which is ok by the manual. Think that will make a difference?

Also 1 other related question. Outside where the exhaust lets out,it is basically shooting the air directly onto one of the pipes used for the gas meter. I'm guessing it's not really that big of an issue, as it was the gas companies that moved it there from the inside knowing full well it would be right next to the dryer exhaust. Should I be worried about that? Thanks guys...
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1148 posts
73 upvotes
Brampton
If the exhaust is warm and powerful, maybe that is just how long your clothes take to dry with that model. Perhaps some here are quoting drying times from clothes that came out of a front load washer which will be less wet and therefore would dry quicker than clothes from a conventional washer.

Also if you keep checking to see if they are dry, perhaps that adds time to the dry cycle.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
i've got a cheap arse 6 year old Moffat set, and 50-60 minutes has always been the average drying time for me....i don't think you're too far off, unless you have a front load washer-then the clothes should be wrung out much better just from the spin cycle, and drying time should be shorter.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1227 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
I think it also depends on your dryer settings (i.e. the level of 'dryness' you have set that is acceptable to you).
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2931 posts
2308 upvotes
Toronto
jperras wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2007 7:46 pm
It takes approx. 1 hour to dry a full normal load of clothes.
I'm assuming it's clothes only? If you throw in even a couple of bath towels in there, it'll take longer because they're so absorbent. I always separate my clothes from towels when drying. I don't want to heat my clothes more than necessary just so the dryer will get all the moisture out of the towel.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1382 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
40-45 mins in a Whirlpool dryer.
Of course this all depends on load and type of clothes in the dryer.

Jeans will take a bit longer to dry compared to just regular cottons (shirts/towels). The other thing to consider is how dry/wet the clothes are out of the washer aftet the spin cycle.

If it take longer than 60-70 mins to dry, they might be something wrong with the dryer.
May 1, 2007
157 posts
this is my LG washer specs, after the spin, it's almost dry, so the dryer normally take less than 20 mins, depends on the load
Exclusive Direct Drive motor is quiet, reliable, and energy efficient. Large Size 3.83 Cu. Ft. capacity means less time doing laundry. 1020 RPM spin speeds means clothes are damp, not wet - less time in the dryer. Uses less energy and water to save you money. Click Here for Special Delivery Shipping Policy More Info
WebID: 10080151
Mfr. Part Number: WM2377CW
Automatic Temperature Control Yes
Capacity (Cu. Ft.) 3.83 Cu. Ft.
Colour White
Control Configuration Electronic
Control Panel Material Plastic
Cycle Descriptions See The Features Section
Delay Start Timer Yes
Dispensers See The Features Section
End of Cycle Signal Yes
EnerGuide Rating (KWH/Year) 159 KWH/Year
Energy Star Qualified Yes
Extra Rinse Cycle Yes
Filter Self Clean
Heavy Duty Cycle Yes
Load Access Front
Maximum Delay Start Time 12 Hours
Miscellaneous Features Info Not Available
Motor HP (Speeds) Variable Direct Drive
Number of Wash Cycles 7
Operating Indicator Lights Yes
Power Source Requirement 120V
Product Dimensions 68.58(W) x 98.20(H) x 72.49(D) cm
Product Warranty 1 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight 80.1 kg
Sound Insulation Package LoDecibel - 55dB
Spin Speed (RPM) 1020 RPM
Wash Basket Material and Interior Finish Stainless Steel
Wash Option Reverse Tumble Action
Washer Drive System Direct
Water Level Options Automatic
Water Temperature Options 5
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
maybe you have a block in the exhaust...if ur using a vinyl exhast they tend to block often

otherwise it all depends on what you are actually drying....ie someone said towels, jeans aswell

what you cal a "normal" load other people may call it large or heavy, so keep that in mind
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Oct 16, 2007
9 posts
hard at work
I will have to ask my GF. She wont let me near the dryer after what happened the last time I used it. But the smoke alarm works just great :cheesygri
Nov 24, 2002
451 posts
1 upvote
Oshawa,ON.
My clothes are dry in under an hour when I hang them outside my house here in Mexico. :)
When our guitars broke. We knew the concert was over!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3185 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
wd40 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2007 11:54 am
I will have to ask my GF. She wont let me near the dryer after what happened the last time I used it. But the smoke alarm works just great :cheesygri
Best response! LOL
× < >