• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 6:27 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
34 posts
8 upvotes
North York

How long does it take to find a job? Feeling discouraged and hopeless

Hi everyone, I have spent the last 2.5 months looking for a job and attended about 10 face to face interviews with no job offer to date. Is this even normal? The entire process has been really discouraging for me. How many interviews did you go to until you got that offer? I’ve had interviews at the large consulting companies and major banks.
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9013 posts
930 upvotes
What roles are you applying for? Do you believe you are adequately qualified, over qualified or under qualified?

Have you ever asked for any feedback? Could be an interview issue...
Jun 18, 2018
116 posts
40 upvotes
Would help if we had more info...

Are you a new grad or someone with experience for the job you are applying for? If latter, how many years?

If you got an interview, it has less to do with your resume (as why would they waste their time with someone who doesn't have the qualifications), and probably more with your answers or ''fit".. could just be someone was more experienced or better fit
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
34 posts
8 upvotes
North York
I’ve been working for 7 years. I’m 30 years old and have been working in the analytics industry.
Dec 14, 2018
34 posts
20 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 3:07 pm
I’ve been working for 7 years. I’m 30 years old and have been working in the analytics industry.
You should have no problem in analytics getting a job , it's very hot right now especially with 5+ years of experience

To have 10 interviews and no job, I would say your interview skills may be something to look into

30 yrold in GTA with 7 years experience, should be manager or above positions in analytics. Do you have the knowledge/skillset?

But this time of year it does slow down for hiring as well due to holidays and 10 interviews in 2.5 months is not a bad rate
Jun 18, 2018
116 posts
40 upvotes
Analytics can span many industries, but I am going to assume you have done it for the same industries you are applying for. I would look at your interviewing skills most definitely, but if you really feel this is not the issue I would look to ask for feedback from the interviews you did do. Might be hard now to do that (or even when you get the rejected email).. would need the contact information of your interviewers.

Really just comes down to so many things like other people were more qualified or they liked someone better or they hired someone internally, it will be hard for anyone here to say much more if you got all the basics covered (like experience, etc.)
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
34 posts
8 upvotes
North York
I'm presently a manager now in the banking industry. I have all the technical skills such as SAS, SQL, Tableau, Alteryx, etc. I speak English fluently (no accent) but I'm not sure if it's my delivery or if they are looking for "fit" during the interviews. I think the skill set is there but I'm not sure if my business background is lacking. I've applied to senior manager and manager level roles at the banks, but most of the time recruiters reach out to me for the manager roles. I really want the senior manager roles but no one seems to consider me for these roles. I think having 10 interviews during this time of year is great, but why is it that I'm not getting any traction?
Dec 14, 2018
34 posts
20 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:41 pm
I'm presently a manager now in the banking industry. I have all the technical skills such as SAS, SQL, Tableau, Alteryx, etc. I speak English fluently (no accent) but I'm not sure if it's my delivery or if they are looking for "fit" during the interviews. I think the skill set is there but I'm not sure if my business background is lacking. I've applied to senior manager and manager level roles at the banks, but most of the time recruiters reach out to me for the manager roles. I really want the senior manager roles but no one seems to consider me for these roles. I think having 10 interviews during this time of year is great, but why is it that I'm not getting any traction?
I don't think it's the business background, but maybe the interview/presentation of yourself

Interestingly enough, my friend just went to a big 5 bank as senior manager of QE analytics and he had 0 banking experience. He went in from Telco side

But for senior roles, it's less about your technical skills and more about your people skills and management skills I would say in general
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9013 posts
930 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:41 pm
I would maybe try to spend some time and recall the questions they ask and really see if there is some pattern. What they are asking and/or looking for.

Did you find them having trouble with some of your responses? Were they technical or situational etc? Did you really answer the question?

I find the biggest challenge I have when conducting interviews is that the candidate is not able to just answer the damn question.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6574 posts
1243 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 2:41 pm
Hi everyone, I have spent the last 2.5 months looking for a job and attended about 10 face to face interviews with no job offer to date. Is this even normal? The entire process has been really discouraging for me. How many interviews did you go to until you got that offer? I’ve had interviews at the large consulting companies and major banks.
10 interviews in 2.5 months? Seriously ask for feedback to see why you didn't get some of those positions. Analytics and SAS is hot.

Is your experience in Canada?
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
34 posts
8 upvotes
North York
Hi all, thank you for all the great feedback.

Yes my experience is in Canada. I was born and raised here, did my education here as well.

I've asked for feedback from some of the employers whom I interviewed with, they said the interview was great but they decided to go with a different candidate. So I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my interviewing skills that are horrible.
Mar 20, 2006
212 posts
21 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 6:22 pm
Hi all, thank you for all the great feedback.

Yes my experience is in Canada. I was born and raised here, did my education here as well.

I've asked for feedback from some of the employers whom I interviewed with, they said the interview was great but they decided to go with a different candidate. So I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my interviewing skills that are horrible.
Well, there was something that made them to go with another candidate, no offense. I think you should call them back and tell them that you are trying to improve and you need their feedback where you could improve. I don't think they would just spill out what they did not like in you and open a door for argumentation with you. But if you ask for their advice it would give you some hint. Some of their feedback would be bogus for sure but you will get some idea when you talk to more people for feedback. By the way looking for a job is never easy and unfortunately not always fair. But you can't give up or feel depressed just because few or some people did not hire you or valued you. Move on and good luck!
Nov 15, 2016
216 posts
109 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 3:07 pm
Working in analytics and FS industry as well perhaps I can provide some insight. Over the last 7yrs, what is the ratio of analyst and your current managerial role? In order to progress to the senior manager roles at Banks, they require quite a bit of managerial experience. Technical side, from what you described seems okay, how often have you used those specific technologies?

The largest drawback for some of the senior roles will be experience. The managerial roles you are currently applying for and not receiving offers boils down to your interviews skills and the overall competitive pool of applicants. Unfortunately in banking and managerial capacities, these roles may be flooded with MBAs. I have seen many managerial roles in banking and seen the breakdown of education (LinkedIn Premium) for the applicants, this may also be a considering factor.