• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 6:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6586 posts
1246 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 6:22 pm
Hi all, thank you for all the great feedback.

Yes my experience is in Canada. I was born and raised here, did my education here as well.

I've asked for feedback from some of the employers whom I interviewed with, they said the interview was great but they decided to go with a different candidate. So I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my interviewing skills that are horrible.
Yea that's just their canned response. Maybe you could shed some light on your interview skills? you must have an idea where you think you might need improvement.

Are are getting passed the HR interview and meeting with the hiring manager?
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 13, 2017
151 posts
73 upvotes
toronto, ontario
StayKool wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 4:41 pm
I’m 30 years old... I'm presently a manager now in the banking industry... I really want the senior manager roles but no one seems to consider me for these roles.
At age 30, senior management in the banking industry is a reach.

Also, for senior management positions, you should already have a warm connection with your potential employer.

Cold calling and blanket applying for those roles is usually a waste of time.

Source: I am a senior manager at a major Canadian bank.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6586 posts
1246 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 6:52 pm
At age 30, senior management in the banking industry is a reach.

Also, for senior management positions, you should already have a warm connection with your potential employer.

Cold calling and blanket applying for those roles is usually a waste of time.

Source: I am a senior manager at a major Canadian bank.
Not at all and op wouldn't be getting interviews if it was an age thing.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 13, 2017
151 posts
73 upvotes
toronto, ontario
blexann wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 7:43 pm
Not at all and op wouldn't be getting interviews if it was an age thing.
OP is not getting any interviews for senior management positions.

You need to be a rock star to get a senior management position at age 30 in the banking industry. (May be different for other industries and professions however.)

You also need a catalyst or showcase achievement. I was promoted to senior manager in my late 30's after landing a diamond account (mid-eight digits) which accounted for 17% of our downtown office revenue that year. Took me five years to close that deal.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6586 posts
1246 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 8:10 pm
OP is not getting any interviews for senior management positions.
Where do you see that?
You need to be a rock star to get a senior management position at age 30 in the banking industry. (May be different for other industries and professions however.)

You also need a catalyst or showcase achievement. I was promoted to senior manager in my late 30's after landing a diamond account (mid-eight digits) which accounted for 17% of our downtown office revenue that year. Took me five years to close that deal.
You're not in IT.

OP is tech, I'm very familiar with it, sounds like your in capital markets/retail which is totally different.
________

Sep 28, 2013
496 posts
136 upvotes
10 interviews in 2.5 months means there's nothing wrong with your qualifications, it's definitely interviewing itself that's dragging you down. I suggest you reach out to alum from your school in the industry or some other contacts to set up mock interviews. The toughest part is getting the interview itself, so you're already more than halfway there.
Mar 6, 2010
141 posts
31 upvotes
Brampton
Its very tough market out there, don't pay too much attention to stats and such.
Cybersecurity, 5 months, 10 interviews before I grabbed something. And this is despite hearing about millions of cyber security jobs going unfullfilled. ALL BS of course. 6 Months is what it takes, in general.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1939 posts
326 upvotes
angrybanker wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 6:20 pm
10 interviews in 2.5 months means there's nothing wrong with your qualifications, it's definitely interviewing itself that's dragging you down. I suggest you reach out to alum from your school in the industry or some other contacts to set up mock interviews. The toughest part is getting the interview itself, so you're already more than halfway there.
I agree with this - 10 interviews is actually a very strong hit-rate, and the skills OP has also seem to be in current demand, which leads me to believe he is being rejected because:

-poor "fit"
-shitty interview skills/can't properly answer employer's questions
-looks (i.e. maybe he looks much younger, which makes it hard to take someone seriously in a management/upper management role)
Jun 11, 2012
13 posts
9 upvotes
I have been out of work since the summer (July). Presently on welfare. I have had two unsuccessful interviews, one job offer I was unable to start and turned down a few interviews on reflection.
Dec 20, 2018
195 posts
119 upvotes
luking wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 9:33 pm
Its very tough market out there, don't pay too much attention to stats and such.
Cybersecurity, 5 months, 10 interviews before I grabbed something. And this is despite hearing about millions of cyber security jobs going unfullfilled. ALL BS of course. 6 Months is what it takes, in general.
It's a very good market .... cybersecurity is not hot and never was since it's last thing companies care about or will spend money on.

OP is in analytics which is hot and very easy to get a job as evident by OP getting 10 interviews in 2 months during the slow stretch going into Xmas
Dec 20, 2018
195 posts
119 upvotes
technovert wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 6:07 pm
I have been out of work since the summer (July). Presently on welfare. I have had two unsuccessful interviews, one job offer I was unable to start and turned down a few interviews on reflection.
Sounds like it's voluntary unemployment on your part if you're turning down jobs and interviews
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1593 posts
590 upvotes
Tokyo
OP, based on what you posted, you are punching above your weight. Become an SM first at your current workplace before you lateral out.
Oct 14, 2018
7 posts
The time needed to find a job depends on your qualification, experience and how you behave while being interviewed. If you lack some knowledge, have the inappropriate background or simply unprepared for the interview, it will take more time to find a job.
Apr 28, 2010
108 posts
24 upvotes
If OP is getting interviews it means his experience on paper fits the bill but the communication and sell during the interview isn't there. Continue to work on your interviewing and understand what they are actually looking for in terms of fit. It's not always about what you know but what you have done (i.e. results)

Good luck on your search OP!
[OP]
Jan 23, 2010
34 posts
8 upvotes
North York
Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

UPDATE. I received 2 job offers, waiting to hear back from 2 more prospective employers (not too sure, but they seem really interested).

Curious to know which job offer would you take - large consulting firm or one of the big banks? The salary is very similar, only difference is the bonus payout at the consulting firm is significantly less (average 5-6% vs 15%-20% for a large bank).