Careers

How long does it take to find a job? Feeling discouraged and hopeless

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 6:27 pm
Aug 12, 2016
187 posts
24 upvotes
When you give up and get into depression and feel hopeless is when it all goes downhill. Now I understand the stress and pressures when you have people depending on you and you have bills to pay.

Truth be told, you have to keep plugging, persisting like it's a full time job. You have to be open to every strategy approach from applying to job postings, cold emailing, cold calling, walking in, reaching out to your network ie relatives, distant relatives, friends, friends of friends, people you run into every day ie gym or other social events. Also attend professional events, volunteering events etc.

I have heard of people who after being unemployed for a while accepted odd jobs, drove ubers and did anything that they could to earn on the side. But dont get into the trap of giving up professionally on yourself and sticking to the odd job forever.

You can try recruitment, employment agencies as well but be cognizant of the fact that they will only promote the best looking marketable candidate they come across as their commission depends on it.

Keep plugging away. It's the only way
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6568 posts
1242 upvotes
StayKool wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:52 pm
Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

UPDATE. I received 2 job offers, waiting to hear back from 2 more prospective employers (not too sure, but they seem really interested).

Curious to know which job offer would you take - large consulting firm or one of the big banks? The salary is very similar, only difference is the bonus payout at the consulting firm is significantly less (average 5-6% vs 15%-20% for a large bank).
Well that's a good problem to have, try and take all the variables into account before deciding. Commute time, culture (maybe the consulting firm wins out here)..etc
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Feb 13, 2017
150 posts
70 upvotes
toronto, ontario
StayKool wrote:
Dec 24th, 2018 3:52 pm
Curious to know which job offer would you take - large consulting firm or one of the big banks? The salary is very similar, only difference is the bonus payout at the consulting firm is significantly less (average 5-6% vs 15%-20% for a large bank).
Besides the salary and bonus you describe, how do the two jobs compare?

What are the expected work hours? How much work travel (if any) is involved? What are the opportunities for career advancement? Does the work itself interest you?

For the consulting firm, I assume you are considered an experienced hire from industry. With your 7 years experience, what position are you being offered... analyst, consultant, senior consultant, manager, senior manager, etc?

Bonus is not a significant factor as you can always re-negotiate salary and bonus after every promotion.

EDIT: My friends on Bay Street tell me the Big 4 (Canada) no longer pay bonuses for non-managerial positions. So even senior consultant in MBB earns only $90,000 + $0 bonus.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4243 posts
607 upvotes
PhotoSmurf wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 4:54 pm
Besides the salary and bonus you describe, how do the two jobs compare?

What are the expected work hours? How much work travel (if any) is involved? What are the opportunities for career advancement? Does the work itself interest you?

For the consulting firm, I assume you are considered an experienced hire from industry. With your 7 years experience, what position are you being offered... analyst, consultant, senior consultant, manager, senior manager, etc?

Bonus is not a significant factor as you can always re-negotiate salary and bonus after every promotion.

EDIT: My friends on Bay Street tell me the Big 4 (Canada) no longer pay bonuses for non-managerial positions. So even senior consultant in MBB earns only $90,000 + $0 bonus.
My wife just finished her 4th year at one of the major banks and received a bonus like every other year, seems to be 8%-12% most times but pay raise is always a meager 2%.
Having said that, and to go back to OP's point about which job to take, bonus is such a fluid thing that unless it's in your contract that you will get at least that much bonus each year, I wouldn't count on it.
Also going back to the situation at the bank that my wife works for, her manager changed, the new guy doesn't like all his employees like the previous manager did and all of a sudden you have 2-3 people that used to get the same 8%-12% and this year they got 0 or a warning that they aren't doing enough.
Another example from my company which is a small tech company, been there for about 8 months now and when I was hired, they said for the past 5 years they paid 10% bonus to everyone.
Annual review comes and I didn't expect too much because I didn't have a full year and to my surprise I was given 7% after being praised for my work. Thinking 7 vs 10 isn't a big deal I listened to some of my friends and to my surprise, most people received 4%.

So bonus is great (if you actually get it) but spending a whole year only to find out it may or may not be what you expected is difficult to bear sometimes.
Feb 13, 2017
150 posts
70 upvotes
toronto, ontario
flafson wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 9:58 pm
My wife just finished her 4th year at one of the major banks and received a bonus like every other year, seems to be 8%-12% most times but pay raise is always a meager 2%.
Big 5 Banks still pay bonuses to non-managerial staff. Big 4 Consulting apparently do not.

Congratulations on your wife's bonus and your own bonus this year!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5849 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
StayKool wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:39 am
Finally received the offer from the consulting company.. you are right they do not offer bonuses for non-managerial positions. Therefore, it is base salary + $0 bonus.
The offer at the bank I received is slightly lower but there is a 15-20% target bonus. The offer at the consulting firm I received offered a slightly higher salary but 0% bonus. Essentially, the total compensation between the two offers are similar.
For the consulting job, the role offered is senior associate. For the bank job, the role offered is senior consultant. Which one should I take?
I would go with the bank if it were me.
Dec 23, 2018
22 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Congratulations. This is a slow season, but even as an immigrant, I've had a 4-5 interview calls in December alone, though none converted so far. Hoping January would be better.
Apr 17, 2017
36 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Oh man, I've been looking for a job in Ottawa/Gatineau area since July 2018. Sent hundreds (literally), got a couple of face-to-face interviews (one of them as far as Brockville) but was not successful. To be honest, I did not accepone of the offers - they offered pretty much the same I was asking for BUT that was in Brockville (yes, another employee from there) and 4-4 shift work.
I do not know what's wrong (maybe that's because I am not a native English speaker) but I am still applying.
My almost 15 year background is in chemistry (food/pharma).
English is not my mother tongue
#FreeSentsov
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5849 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ihorcv wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:16 pm
Oh man, I've been looking for a job in Ottawa/Gatineau area since July 2018. Sent hundreds (literally), got a couple of face-to-face interviews (one of them as far as Brockville) but was not successful. To be honest, I did not accepone of the offers - they offered pretty much the same I was asking for BUT that was in Brockville (yes, another employee from there) and 4-4 shift work.
I do not know what's wrong (maybe that's because I am not a native English speaker) but I am still applying.
I don't know what you have tried, and I'm not in your industry, but I had a job within about a month of looking here in Ottawa (and I'm not bilingual). Have you tried headhunters?
Apr 17, 2017
36 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I've sent my resume to almost all headhunter firm I am aware of. One of the firms even initiated a reliability clearance for me (since they hire for the government).
I am not bilingual either (in both Canada's official languages) but fluent in at least three languages (no counting English)
#FreeSentsov
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10636 upvotes
Ottawa
ihorcv wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:16 pm
Was your 15yrs of experience mostly outside of Canada?
I assume your education are also all outside of Canada?
Apr 17, 2017
36 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Not really. I graduated with post-graduate diploma from Canadian college, found job even before graduation and been working till June last year (3+ years of Canadian experience).
#FreeSentsov
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10636 upvotes
Ottawa
ihorcv wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:23 am
Not really. I graduated with post-graduate diploma from Canadian college, found job even before graduation and been working till June last year (3+ years of Canadian experience).
What was your previous profession?
Apr 17, 2017
36 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I was (and is) an analytical chemist (both in Canada amd back home)
#FreeSentsov