Personal Finance

How long does it take to get your tax money back?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2008 11:58 am
Tags:
None
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes

How long does it take to get your tax money back?

Still haven't received my money back from this year's return. Should I worry?
It took about one month last year. How long does it take to get yours back this year?
16 replies
Dec 31, 1969
AAA wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 3:43 pm
It took about one month last year. How long does it take to get yours back this year?
Took a couple weeks. If you file near the deadline it will take longer to get it back as they have more to process. File earlier to get it back quicker.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2374 posts
53 upvotes
Saskatoon
AAA wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 3:43 pm
When did you file?
Did you paper or e-file?
Is your return simple or complex?
Did you bother to phone and ask?
Jan 14, 2007
316 posts
26 upvotes
GTA North
I efiled on April 21 and refund was direct deposited into my account on May 1 - Return had various professional income, EE deductions, etc so not your average T4, T5 and donations.

Others I know who efiled around April 14 and did not have Direct Deposit received their cheques in about 2 weeks.

Paper files take much longer as the Feds need to input everything into the system.

These are Ontario examples and filed through an authorized efiler using Tax Prep.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1614 posts
46 upvotes
I sent mine in by paper about a week before the deadline and got my cheque in May. You don't have a location listed so your processing center could be different from mine.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1011 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I mailed mine in mid april and received it through direct deposit within 2-3 weeks.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
22 upvotes
We mailed in our taxes mid April and just got our notice of assessment and cheque this week. So it was about 6 weeks fo us.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
jvangilst wrote:
Jun 13th, 2008 3:46 pm
Took a couple weeks. If you file near the deadline it will take longer to get it back as they have more to process. File earlier to get it back quicker.
Ditto on that. Never understood why some people procrastinate so much - especially people expecting a refund! When I expect a refund I file on the first available date I can! Usually takes about 4-5 days only to get the money.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7041 posts
673 upvotes
GTA
I e-filed prior to the deadline and received the deposit in under 2 weeks.

3 years ago, I submitted my taxes on the due date and it took more than 2 months to have the refund processed. I was quite surprised to be paid interest from the government. That's the only time that ever happened.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5595 posts
170 upvotes
Submitted my return in March, got my refund direct deposited about 2 weeks later.

I submitted a T1ADJ Adjustment form about 6 weeks ago, the funds from the adjustment were direct deposited into my bank account a few days ago.
Aug 31, 2006
41 posts
On similar note, How long does it take to get refund for T1 adjustment of earlier year?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1031 posts
57 upvotes
Personal income by snail mail should be around 4 - 6 weeks (4 - 5 via deposit, 5 - 6 for cheque mailed to your address). 2 - 3 for NetFile.

I got mine in the mail in 2.5 weeks.
[OP]
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
Urrrgg... from 4-5 days to 2-3 months?!? We normally got our refunds back within 4 weeks and it has been over 6 weeks this year and still haven't receive it. We are in ON/GTA if that matters. Hope it comes next week ... fingers crossed ...
× < >