Students

How long does it take for you to read 50 pages?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2008 3:49 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts

How long does it take for you to read 50 pages?

Hi

Just wondering how long would it take you to read 50 pages on average?

(Yeah, I know the answer depends on the size of the textbook, fonts, figure/diagrams, etc)

Please provide a numeric answer. It takes me more than 4-5 hours avg to read 50 pages.
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5570 posts
161 upvotes
MS_Project wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 11:47 pm
Hi

(Yeah, I know the answer depends on the size of the textbook, fonts, figure/diagrams, etc)

Please provide a numeric answer. It takes me more than 4-5 hours avg to read 50 pages.
I usually spend anywhere from 1-4 minutes reading a page depending on the length and the size of print. The longer I take to read a page, the more I remember so I usually try to take my time when I read to make sure I remember as much as possible (so I won't have to re-read the chapter again).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2006
5141 posts
53 upvotes
Richmond bc
MS_Project wrote:
Sep 28th, 2007 11:47 pm
Hi

I'd say around a hour
Jul 1, 2003
819 posts
80 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
I don't think the factors such as text size, fonts, figures/diagrams matters as much as the content itself. I can probably read through 50 pages of general fiction twice as fast as 50 pages of a medical manual.
-Some people hear their own voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become Legend.-
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11911 posts
209 upvotes
This book had rather larger pages, but still went by surprisingly quickly.

I'm a bit of a speed reader, so 50 pages of a novel might take me 25-40 minutes, but when I'm looking at technical content that I'm not familiar with, that rate slows considerably to help my memory. It would probably take me 75-90 minutes for a textbook.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on HOW you read. If you are to read EVERY WORD, then I don't think it differs much among people. But if your purpose is to UNDERSTAND, you don't really need to read every word, not even every sentence, nor every paragraph.

By the way, it's actually faster to read non fictions, esp. technical manuals THAN novels.
Jul 18, 2006
650 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
if were talking about a novel then 30-40 minutes depending on my interest, for a textbook it would be about an hour to an hour and 20 mins depending on the topic and my level of comprehension before reading.
Dec 9, 2006
844 posts
2 upvotes
I would expect to read a 50 page chapter in about 2 hours. After reading it once, I would be able to read it the second time in about an hour and a half. I could read faster, but I find my retention drops rapidly.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13709 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
depends how hard the vocabulary is.. could take up to hours if it was some scientific textbook or something :|
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1332 posts
113 upvotes
Depends on how long I stare at the centerfold...
[OP]
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
I am quite suprised about the responses.

Now I think I'm a really slow reader compared to most of you.

I read every word from the textbook and usually (50 pages per chapter) takes me about 5 hours. I need a new strategy. Any advices? :confused:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
MS_Project wrote:
Sep 29th, 2007 3:30 pm
I read every word from the textbook and usually (50 pages per chapter) takes me about 5 hours. I need a new strategy. Any advices? :confused:
Depending on your major and level, 5 hours for 50 pages are way too slow. Many year 3 or 4 courses have required reading of more than 100 pages every week. At that speed, how do you find time for fun? University is NOT just about study after all. You'll need to learn how to read for both gist and specifics. In most cases, not every single paragraph is relevant to your topic of research. If you're a freshman, go take some courses in your own college that teach the basics about reading/learning/taking notes (while reading).
Nov 17, 2006
429 posts
4 upvotes
MS_Project wrote:
Sep 29th, 2007 3:30 pm
I am quite suprised about the responses.

Now I think I'm a really slow reader compared to most of you.

Hey, don't feel bad!!!!

It also takes me about 4-5 hours to fully read, understand and PERFECT about 50 pages in a TEXTBOOK. Novel reading is a TOTALLY different story.

5 courses = 5 chapters of textbook reading per week (50 pgs per chapter)
5 chapters x 4.5 hours = 22.5 hours of study per week.

...which leaves PLENTY of non-study time ;) ha!

dedicating 4-5 hours per 50 textbook pages guarantees a really good mark.
If I'm lazy, I can read through 50 textbook pages in less than 2 hours...but chances are I won't get an A+, lol

BTW, I'm a 4th year University Student
[OP]
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
Here comes another semester

I have tons of reading to do. Five courses in total. About 4 courses are based on reading theory and models kind of thing. and 1 course based on hands on.

:(

How can you guys read fast and understand at the same time? do you just skim through paragraphs? skip reading case studies? skip diagrams and pictures???
Aug 26, 2006
493 posts
1 upvote
^ Practice reading and you will get faster.
× < >