• Jul 18th, 2013 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
20 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1339 posts
11 upvotes
1 year. i assume you removed all your cats?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
phillbert wrote:1 year. i assume you removed all your cats?
You sure?

Might be a different classification, but I'm pretty sure that if you're getting the car tested because you're getting ownership, you've got 100 days from the test date to register or whatever.

:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24537 posts
2319 upvotes
Ottawa
2 years. Odd year cars are due on even years and vice versa. New cars do not come up for e test for 5 years unless ownership is transferred. Then you need a safety and e-test certification.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
The certificate itself is good for 1 year. However cars need to be tested every 2 years unless there is ownership change.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24537 posts
2319 upvotes
Ottawa
DragonZealot wrote:The certificate itself is good for 1 year. However cars need to be tested every 2 years unless there is ownership change.
Please explain?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:Please explain?
If the emissions test was done 13 months ago, then it will have to be tested again (before the 2 years is up) before it can be registered by the new owner. That's probably what he meant by "unless there is ownership change."
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24537 posts
2319 upvotes
Ottawa
Rehan wrote:If the emissions test was done 13 months ago, then it will have to be tested again (before the 2 years is up) before it can be registered by the new owner. That's probably what he meant by "unless there is ownership change."
I understand the change of ownership part, it is the valid for one year on a two year test cycle. If I keep the car the certificate should be valid for those two years?
As far as I can tell it is only an issue for those that wish to sell their vehicle within the two year testing period, and it protects the buyer. If you keep your car, well , I guess it does not matter.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:If I keep the car the certificate should be valid for those two years?
That's right.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
[OP]
Feb 12, 2003
173 posts
Toronto/Waterloo
I asked not because I removed the cats.

You mentioned the cert is valid for 2 years. Here's the scenario. Suppose I bought a used car last May and the previous owner had performed the eTest and passed. If I want to sell the car now (it's been a bit over 1 year), is the eTest still valid? Or would I need to have the car re-tested and get it re-certified?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
wrx2k3 wrote:I asked not because I removed the cats.

You mentioned the cert is valid for 2 years. Here's the scenario. Suppose I bought a used car last May and the previous owner had performed the eTest and passed. If I want to sell the car now (it's been a bit over 1 year), is the eTest still valid? Or would I need to have the car re-tested and get it re-certified?
Yes, it would need to get a new emissions test and safety certificate. Basically, whenever you register a vehicle (which the new owner will have to do), you have to provide the details of a successful emissions test in the last 12 months...

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1339 posts
11 upvotes
Rehan wrote:Yes, it would need to get a new emissions test and safety certificate. Basically, whenever you register a vehicle (which the new owner will have to do), you have to provide the details of a successful emissions test in the last 12 months...
no, i'm pretty sure the e-test is valid for 1 year regardless how many transfers is performed. its the safety that needs to be performed during each change of ownership.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
phillbert wrote:i'm pretty sure the e-test is valid for 1 year regardless how many transfers is performed. its the safety that needs to be performed during each change of ownership.
That's right. But I don't know why you started your post with "no"....maybe you misread some earlier posts in this thread? wrx2k3 was asking about a car e-tested over 12 months ago.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1339 posts
11 upvotes
Rehan wrote:That's right. But I don't know why you started your post with "no"....maybe you misread some earlier posts in this thread? wrx2k3 was asking about a car e-tested over 12 months ago.
yeah, i did skip over his post. nvm.
Dec 17, 2010
3 posts
1 upvote
windsor ontario
so i bought my car in january, etest and safety were done. I just redid the safety to transfer ownership to someone buying my car, the etest is STILL valid right? all they need is the safety and proof of valid etest? or do i need to get the etest AGAIN
× < >