Careers

How long security clearance takes for a fed job

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 1:09 pm
May 6, 2018
14 posts

How long security clearance takes for a fed job

How long secret security clearance take?
Last edited by phillysteak88 on Sep 18th, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
6 replies
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
They can change their mind if something comes back that you said wouldn't be there, but just because it takes a while I doubt it.

Ex; you claim no criminal charges, and they find some.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The time length for a clearance will depend on the workload of those doing the checks, the type of position, and how urgent that position is needed.

My clearance took a full year but it's a higher clearance than what you are trying to obtain. I never used the clearance as the conditions that created the need for position in the first place disappeared just before the clearance was completed.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
canucksgirl12 wrote: mine says they need the clearance first
This is normal and unfortunately the time period while long, isn't unheard of, especially this time of year or if you have a complicated security file.
Jul 29, 2018
50 posts
52 upvotes
canucksgirl12 wrote: ha..mine has been taking over 3 months and my manager keeps telling me to be patient..i wonder if they had already found someone else
Is it for Secret clearance or Reliability?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
It can take a very long time. Even when hubby was making the switch over from the military (where he had Secret) to the federal government (where only reliability was required) it took about 4 months. They knew he was military with secret clearance too lol. He did not put in his release from the military until it was all sorted out since if there are any "gaps" in your coverage it is more of a hassle. He literally got the clearance, they made him his official letter of offer and he put in his 30 day release.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
4-6 months. Took 6 months for Canadian Armed Forces, 4 months Constable.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!