Personal Finance

How long until a retailer can't charge me anymore for a purchase?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2012 11:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3478 posts
390 upvotes
Vancouver
nuropa wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 11:13 pm
I had that happen with a dell order before, it took them 4 month before they charged me for it.
I'll one up you. I did an Express Exchange on a warranty with a pixel problem. Monitor came with no shipping label for return, contacted them numerous times through phone and email. Really got nowhere even though they said they would send out a label ASAP. Followed-up a final time through email stating that I still hadn't received a label and I would not be shipping back their monitor without it. No reply. It's been more than a year now (without a charge on my CC) and the pixel problem fixed itself too so now I have 2 perfect monitors, plus I just upgraded my Smart Cash to World... so... that card is not even valid anymore.

I don't feel the least bit guilty. I honestly gave it a sincere effort to rectify the problem. I'm not going to spend $50+ shipping that thing back to them on my own coin.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1589 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
I pretty much got a $700 product for free haha. A month after I called my CC company and they said they saw no charge. I called the retailer and they said my CC was charged so I didn't pursue it any further. They contacted me a month or two later to get me to pay and I gave them my billing info again. And I asked them if they could give me something for the hassle and they did haha.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
Don't forget your referral bonus...
mchuong wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:16 am
I pretty much got a $700 product for free haha. A month after I called my CC company and they said they saw no charge. I called the retailer and they said my CC was charged so I didn't pursue it any further. They contacted me a month or two later to get me to pay and I gave them my billing info again. And I asked them if they could give me something for the hassle and they did haha.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1589 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
User Name wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:57 am
Don't forget your referral bonus...
Referral?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
whoops I meant the cashback :D
mchuong wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 1:06 am
Referral?
mchuong wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 6:49 pm
This isn't a shady company overseas or anything like that if anyone was wondering. RFD offers cashback on purchases from them :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1589 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
User Name wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 6:27 pm
whoops I meant the cashback :D
Oh. I didn't get any cashback. RFD didn't offer cashback at the time of purchase.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1329 posts
87 upvotes
The deal just got colder... pfft free $700 item and no cashback?!?
mchuong wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 11:04 pm
Oh. I didn't get any cashback. RFD didn't offer cashback at the time of purchase.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1589 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
User Name wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 11:44 pm
The deal just got colder... pfft free $700 item and no cashback?!?
Haha yeah. Want some free money with my free item!
Oct 25, 2010
486 posts
52 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 10:01 pm
Not condoning this but I wonder what would happen if you canceled the CC since it has been so long. I have no clue what would happen if they then tried to charge you years later (if they would have any recourse)
Yes they would and do. You may have cancelled the card, but you haven't escaped the contract. The contract says you are obligated to pay for legitimate charges.

Someone else was complaining about a CC charge on a cancelled card a while back on RFD. If you think about it, this happens all the time to the CC companies - many of my purchases don't post on the same day I incur them, so almost at any time when/if I cancel a card I'll still have new charges post.

To the OP: I don't think there is any limit on when they can bill you for a legitimately rendered service or good. Forgetting to bill you doesn't mean you're entitled to something for free. Every day you get to hang on to your cash you are benefiting. If you are concerned about the $700 bill showing up at an inopportune time, then stick that money in a HISA or GIC so it's around when you need it. Somehow our society has gotten this attitude that the seller is responsible for billing you, and while that is somewhat true you are reciprocally obligated to pay. That non-payment is a liability you need to manage. If you're not happy with that, then return the item to the seller.
Feb 1, 2009
735 posts
87 upvotes
Markham, GTA
Steve98 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 9:37 am
Yes they would and do. You may have cancelled the card, but you haven't escaped the contract. The contract says you are obligated to pay for legitimate charges.

Someone else was complaining about a CC charge on a cancelled card a while back on RFD. If you think about it, this happens all the time to the CC companies - many of my purchases don't post on the same day I incur them, so almost at any time when/if I cancel a card I'll still have new charges post.

To the OP: I don't think there is any limit on when they can bill you for a legitimately rendered service or good. Forgetting to bill you doesn't mean you're entitled to something for free. Every day you get to hang on to your cash you are benefiting. If you are concerned about the $700 bill showing up at an inopportune time, then stick that money in a HISA or GIC so it's around when you need it. Somehow our society has gotten this attitude that the seller is responsible for billing you, and while that is somewhat true you are reciprocally obligated to pay. That non-payment is a liability you need to manage. If you're not happy with that, then return the item to the seller.
+1 Well said.
Nov 1, 2010
262 posts
19 upvotes
Statutes of limitation vary from one province to another. The basic period (many exceptions) will be 2 years in ON/Alta and 3 in QC after which the company is barred from claiming the amount.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2009
4810 posts
722 upvotes
RolandCouch wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 10:01 pm
Not condoning this but I wonder what would happen if you canceled the CC since it has been so long. I have no clue what would happen if they then tried to charge you years later (if they would have any recourse)
If they had a valid authorization taken against your credit card, you'd be liable for the charge even if the card was cancelled. You'd suddenly get a statement with a balance if they applied the charge. Saw it happen all the time when I worked for Visa.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
1589 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for the info everyone! I'll just keep an eye out to see if there's a charge.
Oct 25, 2010
486 posts
52 upvotes
123nicolas wrote:
Nov 20th, 2012 3:43 pm
Statutes of limitation vary from one province to another. The basic period (many exceptions) will be 2 years in ON/Alta and 3 in QC after which the company is barred from claiming the amount.
Hmm, if you're talking about the Limitations Act I'm not sure it applies since there the credit card company would be the one pursuing the claim (when OP refuses to pay). That event hasn't happened yet, so the clock can't be ticking.

As for the actual sale (in a situation where a CC wasn't used for payment), I'm not sure either. I guess it depends on when courts determine the seller noticed the claim, or ought to have noticed the claim - Is it when he sold the item?

I'd be curious to find out, do you have any references that might add light?
Nov 1, 2010
262 posts
19 upvotes
The clock starts ticking once the $ is owed. Of course, as you point out, once you throw in the CC company, is makes a little mess to sort out who and when.

In any event, Steve98 (#24) raised a good point in his comment to the OP. This is a liability to be managed. There is such a thing as unjust enrichment.
× < >