• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2019 9:27 am
[OP]
Oct 21, 2005
27 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

How long is your furnace on each day?

Installed a Nest thermostat a few weeks ago, and I find the history feature pretty interesting. It shows how long our furnace is on, and the times of the day that comes on. It seems to average about 5-6 hours a day (1000 sq ft 50's bungalow, not sure about the specs of the furnance), with the colder weather we've been having in the GTA lately.

I know its difficult to compare apples to apples, but just curious how that stacks up to other people's homes? Is 6 hours a day a long time?
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5190 posts
2945 upvotes
Keep in mind this will be impacted by home/away settings, etc. Mine (3300 Ft house, work from home it’s on all day) has been running between 4 and 6 hours a day over the past 2 weeks depending on weather. Im assuming runtime will increase during the dead of Jan/Feb

You want your furnace to have long runtimes when it’s very cold, otherwise it could means it’s oversized for your home.
Last edited by fdl on Nov 20th, 2019 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 17, 2014
786 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario
Here ya go. House is 90s 2 storey, 1200 sq/ft. 2 stage high efficiency furnace.
Images
  • Screenshot_20191119-050758_Nest.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
1344 posts
195 upvotes
Grimsby
Not trying to be a smart *ss but what possible use can this information be to the home owner?

Surely you set the thermostat to your comfort level and it does it's job raising or lowering the temperature to your settings and liking.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4266 posts
481 upvotes
Barrys Bay
Owbist wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 6:27 am
Not trying to be a smart *ss but what possible use can this information be to the home owner?

Surely you set the thermostat to your comfort level and it does it's job raising or lowering the temperature to your settings and liking.
If you want to save $ in fuel costs, this info in vital.

I used my ecobee reports, some tweaks posted online and adjusted till I had comfort and savings. With setting temp and having short multiple run times, I was running more runtime and fuel, have longer furnace runtime setting I had less and more comfortable house and cur fuel costs. I actually made a excel formula for my furnace size and ecobee's runtimes and tell how much propane I used and cost of propane used.

As well if you have newer furnace, and your seeing more usage than normal, you most likely have a issues ( coudl be a clogged air filter ) or a under/over-sized furnace.
Last edited by theguyz on Nov 19th, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3853 posts
1160 upvotes
Ottawa
Owbist wrote:

We are awash in data these days and much of it has little use until you apply a little imagination. For example, a hacker might be able to figure out when somebody is on a long vacation...
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1005 posts
329 upvotes
Mississauga
Owbist wrote:
I tend to agree, but I've also found that comfort to both my family and my self have become more of a priority the older I got, therefore, I don't really care how much I spend on natural gas and electrical costs to keep everyone comfortable, both in summer and winter, therefore I keep the thermostat set a 22C all year round. I've always thought life is all about priorities and knowing how long my furnace runs each day is no where near a priority to me.

Boils down to "to each there own" and some find this information very important.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3853 posts
1160 upvotes
Ottawa
MyDream1 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 7:51 am
I tend to agree, but I've also found that comfort to both my family and my self have become more of a priority the older I got, therefore, I don't really care how much I spend on natural gas and electrical costs to keep everyone comfortable, both in summer and winter, therefore I keep the thermostat set a 22C all year round. I've always thought life is all about priorities and knowing how long my furnace runs each day is no where near a priority to me.

Boils down to "to each there own" and some find this information very important.
Wireless (and wired) sensors along with programs and algorithms are rapidly becoming an important element of systems analysis in commercial building management and are already helping building operators by pointing out inefficiencies, leaks (air, water, etc.), air/water quality, etc. etc. Their application in the residential environment is currently rather nascent. On its own, the data point of the number of hours your furnace is on is meaningless but once you start to add other data points, it could signal an alert to check the furnace filter (for example).
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1005 posts
329 upvotes
Mississauga
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 8:26 am
it could signal an alert to check the furnace filter (for example).
If I can't remember on my own when to change the furnace filter, I write the installation date on the filter and my thermostat reminds me every 3 months or whenever I ask it to.

I don't want to debate, why the information is so important to some as I know it is. All I'm saying is that it's not a priority to me as well as others at our point in life. With that said, I'll bow out of this thread as it adds no value to me. Please carry on with the discussion as I'm sure it's very interesting to others.
Feb 11, 2018
397 posts
392 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 7:22 am
We are awash in data these days and much of it has little use until you apply a little imagination. For example, a hacker might be able to figure out when somebody is on a long vacation...
Hack the water meter and you'll know when there is nobody home.
"Time destroys the speculations of man, but it confirms the judgment of nature" - Cicero
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3853 posts
1160 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 9:30 am
Hack the water meter and you'll know when there is nobody home.
I am on a well.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3853 posts
1160 upvotes
Ottawa
MyDream1 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 9:28 am
If I can't remember on my own when to change the furnace filter, I write the installation date on the filter and my thermostat reminds me every 3 months or whenever I ask it to.

I don't want to debate, why the information is so important to some as I know it is. All I'm saying is that it's not a priority to me as well as others at our point in life. With that said, I'll bow out of this thread as it adds no value to me. Please carry on with the discussion as I'm sure it's very interesting to others.
I think we are in agreement. What I posted was not meant to contradict you.
Jul 15, 2015
24 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Calgary
1900 sq/ft
2 story house (2001 built)
Nest 22.5C temp setting (fixed)
1 stage old Lenox furnace ~20 years
Average run time (4 hours) daily
(5 hour run time when outside temp was -25C last week and 2.5 to 3 hours run time when outside temp is between 5C and -10C)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7155 posts
1819 upvotes
Ours runs from 5:30am to 6am and 4pm to 4:30pm right now.

Will increase in small increments as it geta colder.