• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2005 9:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
1618 posts
73 upvotes
The atkins diets has alot of side-effects to it... you should try to keep up with a work routine, your damaging your body by gaining weight and then losing it...look up Yo-Yo dieting on the net...

your body can go into shock losing such a drastic amount of weight in such a short time frame...

even doing a 10 min work out a night, is ample
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
doraemi wrote:anyone have a way to get rid of double chin?
hahaha ding ding!! that's what i was thinking last night too!!!......"man! after i loose my flabs, i'll still have my double chin....hey! i know! i'll start a thread tmr on RFD on that and see what good strategies ppl can advise me about..."
ding ding, we know each other so well......lol :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4289 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
What about people with triple chins?

How about just not eat? i think that can you help you lose some fat.
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
thnx Venom! =)

and yes, i'm waiting for those kelloggs pilates dvds.....perferably when the cereals are onsale....lol.

now, as i recall, the sweat from doing cardio will help eliminate/burn off excess fat tissues all over the body.....is there any specific ways to burn off the ones on the upper arms (tricepts area)?, or the thighs....?.....man! my thighs are huge!!!

how about calves?....i know they're genetic, but anyway to slim them down a bit so i can fit myself into those nice boots?

thnx thnx everyone! :D :D :D :D
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
Venom wrote:Remember HIGH INTENSITY WORKOUTS at 30mins = MORE CALORIES BURNED
This is the same topic as an ongoing argument I have with someone at my gym. So any input is appreciated.

I work out every day for 60 min at an intensity that keeps my heart rate at appx 160bpm in order to lose weight.

Someone else at the gym tells me I'm working out too hard and will achieve better results (ie. lose weight faster) if I worked out at a lower intensity for 60 minutes. Their argument is that at my workout intensity, my body is going into anarobic state and I'm not buring fat, but burning proteins instead.

My argument is if I'm doing more in the given time (as indicated by the higher heart rate), it must consume more energy.

So, should I work out at the higher rate or lower rate?
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
1187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto ON
Although I hate to get into a great amount of detail on-line, because it's virtually impossible without a one one one kind of consultation - the key is this:

Eat lower fat, high quality foods in smaller portions.
Get any cardiovascular exercise you can, and it doesn't matter what season it is and if you live with or without workout equipment, this CAN be accomplished.
If possible get involved in a moderate weight lifting regimine.

I am a certified nutritionist (woo hoo) and hope to get my Trainer's certification this year. But know this, one doesn't get a six pack by doing abdominal exercises. It's the combination between good nutrition, good rest, good hydration, good cardiovascular exercise AND those resistance exercises that do it. Most people aren't willing to connect ALL the dots.

If you're serious about an activity and nutrition plan that suits you and your lifestyle and options, I would suggest you consult with a local individual. There's lots of excellent people out there.

Cheers,
Tracy
Dec 17, 2003
345 posts
2 upvotes
Yup, Tracy's bang on with all her points! A combination of Exercise (Cardio + Weights), Sleep, Diet and Hydration all play important parts. I feel that Diet is key!

Might I suggest you keep a journal of how much you consume each day? That way, you'll be able to determine your daily caloric intake. From that, you'll be able to determine if you're getting enough exercise or if you're consuming too much food to lose any fat.

Restricting your diet (a la Atkins) is not a great idea as someone has mentioned there is side-effects. Smaller, more frequent portions will help speed up your metabolism and by doing so, will allow you to burn more calories even while sedentary.

A great web site to track your calories is www.fitday.com (As mentioned many times on RFD) of you can keep a online journal on a fitness web site such as Finertia.
Dec 31, 2001
599 posts
11 upvotes
I do 30mins on my exercise bike(boring as heck but I watch TV to kill time) then I do about 45mins of free weights and situps, all in my apartment. I would problably get a better workout by signing up at a gym but I know that I wouldn't be able to keep up the routine of going to the gym 3 times a week in the dead of winter. A not-as-effective routine is better than no routine. :) Also, on weekends I usually go snowshoeing. A few hours out in knee deep snow will get your heartrate up. :)

Last winter I lost about 20lbs in a couple months. And now that this year's holidays are over it's time to lose the 10lbs I put on at mom's (mmmmmmm food) and continue to go down to the weight I want. My goal is to be at my ideal weight before summer starts and not at the end of it. :D
Have a nice day! :D
Nov 28, 2004
560 posts
TheBrain wrote:My goal is to be at my ideal weight before summer starts and not at the end of it. :D
hahaha! exactly! ...especially when my friends and I will be showing off in our bikinis in Splashworks at Wonderland (season pass...hehehe), and we're planning a trip to the beach as well..... :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

btw, this is my 100th post!!!
yeah!!!!.......i have upgraded myself!.....no longer can you guys call me a 'noob'..... :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri
Apr 26, 2004
302 posts
Wow, a rather informative thread.

I'm just wondering about a few things:

I'm a major cola addict, I drink about 3-4 cans every day of regular coke ( caffeine free though :cheesygri ), how bad is this for me?

I also go to the gym 4-6 days out of the week for an hour ( half hour cardio, rest lifting ).
Sep 29, 2004
249 posts
22 upvotes
GTA
relativity wrote:Wow, a rather informative thread.

I'm just wondering about a few things:

I'm a major cola addict, I drink about 3-4 cans every day of regular coke ( caffeine free though :cheesygri ), how bad is this for me?

I also go to the gym 4-6 days out of the week for an hour ( half hour cardio, rest lifting ).
Hi Relativity,'

The content per can of regular pop is over 10 spoons of sugar per 360ml. So if you are drinking say 3 cans of coke a day then it is at a minimum 30 spoons of sugar. Check this site - http://www.saveharry.com/liquidcandy.html - . That is a lot. Again I am not a health professional but married to one (Registered Dietitian, .i.e, RD).

It again depends on your age, height, weight, total consumption vis-a-vis total calories burned.

When I was working in LA I saw people drinking 12-14 cans a day. That was a shocker. To date I cannot finish 1 can of 375 ml at a sitting. Anyways I am not a big fan of pop. Gimme Fresh Lime soda anyday... :cheesygri
Dec 17, 2003
345 posts
2 upvotes
relativity,
My advice would be to try to cut down your comsumption of coke with diet coke or possible a non-caffeinated soda. Like nuknsltnt pointed out, you're consuming a tonne of sugar each day (well nothing compared to LA, but still...) so you should really look at limiting that. Step-by-step you could elimate coke altogether, but that's up to you.

Coke is addictive though, right? My friend has been trying for a while to get off of it..the best way is to not buy it.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1284 posts
795 upvotes
Markham
eelfliw wrote:This is the same topic as an ongoing argument I have with someone at my gym. So any input is appreciated.

I work out every day for 60 min at an intensity that keeps my heart rate at appx 160bpm in order to lose weight.

Someone else at the gym tells me I'm working out too hard and will achieve better results (ie. lose weight faster) if I worked out at a lower intensity for 60 minutes. Their argument is that at my workout intensity, my body is going into anarobic state and I'm not buring fat, but burning proteins instead.

My argument is if I'm doing more in the given time (as indicated by the higher heart rate), it must consume more energy.

So, should I work out at the higher rate or lower rate?
Whoever is telling you that is full of something, and that something is not good advice.
1) If you can do it for 60 minutes, you are definitely using the aerobic energy pathway, which burns glucose, fatty acids and amino acids. Nothing uses the anaerobic or aerobic pathways exclusively. Anything you are able to do for longer than 2 minutes must use the aerobic pathway. Anaerobic fuel sources can't sustain any continuous activity for more than 2 minutes without being replenished (by rest and oxygen).
2) Anaerobic pathways do not "burn" proteins. Anaerobic pathways use either creatine phosphate or glycogen as fuel sources. Only the aerobic pathway uses protein (actually, amino acids), but prefers glucose over fatty acids over amino acids. So even if your workout were anaerobic, which it isn't, it still wouldn't "burn proteins" for energy.

True. As long as you're comparing to yourself. You are definitely using more calories jogging at an intensity that maintains a heart rate of 160 vs. jogging for a heart rate of 120.
Banned
Feb 15, 2004
10735 posts
6 upvotes
actng wrote:Sex! And lots of it.

It's almost a historical responsibility! Because more people have sex in the winter, that's why there are more people with birthdays in September.

I wish I didn't see that....
Nov 24, 2004
501 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
a bout of food poisoning and stomach flu did a really good job of weight loss from my experience. ;)