Cell Phones

How low do you let your battery get before charging?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2018 11:05 am

Poll: At what percentage do you connect to charger?

• Total votes: 49. You have voted on this poll.
80+%

6%
70-79%

0%
60-69%

0%
50-59%

4%
40-49%

10%
30-39%

18%
20-29%

27%
10-19%

20%
1-9%

8%
Let it power off at 0%!

6%
May 21, 2017
76 posts
9 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: I start to panic about 40 percent.
I died laughing when I seen this, my buddy is the same way!

I don’t understand the logic behind this...I recommended to shut the % off and it sorta helped him out...is this some sort of ‘phone separation anxiety?’
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4292 posts
653 upvotes
Aurora
Normal use rarely takes me below 60 percent on my year-and-a half-old S7 Edge. I just leave it uncharged overnight and quick charge it next day when I get up.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2038 posts
1074 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I charge mine up to 80% if I can. I also leave my phone uncharged overnight as well.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3934 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
I have it at 100% before I head out. It’s on the charger nightly. As hard as it may be to replace the batteries, it still can be done, knowing that i really couldn’t care less about changing my habits to extending the battery’s life.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16697 posts
1273 upvotes
Woodbridge
The beauty of Fast Charging is I don't even have leave my phone plugged in all night.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Apr 17, 2014
633 posts
189 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Tkoutlem wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:17 pm
I died laughing when I seen this, my buddy is the same way!

I don’t understand the logic behind this...I recommended to shut the % off and it sorta helped him out...is this some sort of ‘phone separation anxiety?’
Ya I was shooting for a bit of humour but there's always a pinch of truth in every joke.

I can't help it.
Dooohhh 40% and 3 more hours until the end of my shift. Dang guess I should close Candy Crush.
Jun 21, 2008
278 posts
52 upvotes
mississauga
i have had old androids , windows phones and they all were battery draining even with minimal voice,text and data. I got iphone 6 32gb and the difference in battery life is amazing. I still put it on the charger overnight every couple of days, but reading the posts above going forward i'll do a quick charge whenever i go below 25% or so and see how it works out
May 8, 2009
4292 posts
1398 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Had to add a poll. Now we can input our responses on the thread by voting.

I'll +1 what @will888 said. Once I hit battery saver mode, I'll charge upon opportunity. I'll quick charge in evening if I reach battery saver mode, else I'll quick charge in the morning, usually hit 10-30% range by then.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Sep 6, 2011
469 posts
708 upvotes
Lithium ion battery chemistry is best kept at 15% or higher, constant near 5% is damaging to the battery. So it's best to charge your phone before it gets to that point.

You will get at most 500 charge cycles before the total capacity degrades. If you charge your phone every 1.5 or 2 days, 500 cycles is easily more than 2 years. If you're a heavy user who needs to charge your phone 2 or 3 times a day then you will be looking at battery degradation after 1 year easily. It takes over 2000 charge cycles to see the battery at half of the original capacity.

When you retire your electronic devices with lithium ion battery, it is recommended that you leave it at 50% charge and store it in a cool dry place (around 5°C to 15°C). Ten years down the road if you want to feel nostalgic, you can still turn on that mp3 player/iPod you had over a decade ago.

If you really want to geek out on batteries, see here: http://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/ ... _batteries
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10482 posts
1002 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Blame my degradation from Pokemon Go, hehe. Man, I recall every1 charging and playing with their fones at peak CPU usage for 6 mos from summer thru fall. No doubt that killed a ton of capacities right there.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 8, 2009
4292 posts
1398 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aznnorth wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:55 am
Blame my degradation from Pokemon Go, hehe. Man, I recall every1 charging and playing with their fones at peak CPU usage for 6 mos from summer thru fall. No doubt that killed a ton of capacities right there.
Get a burner budget phone like LG X Power for Pokemon Go. Then sell the phone for ~$100 once you're done gaming on it.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3489 posts
471 upvotes
Ontario
Interesting thread. My galaxy s7 edge has been dying randomly since a couple of weeks at 25%, 30%, 40%, depends... Just all of a sudden, phone shuts off and when I plug it in the battery is at 0. I've done a factory wipe and still the issue persists. Ahhhhh.

Oddly enough I installed accubattery before my issues started just to get an idea of where my battery was at and these issues started after that! App is since long gone but still, how ironic.

I'm at a loss on how to resolve this.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
14488 posts
3786 upvotes
Toronto
Slawek wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:43 pm
Interesting thread. My galaxy s7 edge has been dying randomly since a couple of weeks at 25%, 30%, 40%, depends... Just all of a sudden, phone shuts off and when I plug it in the battery is at 0. I've done a factory wipe and still the issue persists. Ahhhhh.

Oddly enough I installed accubattery before my issues started just to get an idea of where my battery was at and these issues started after that! App is since long gone but still, how ironic.

I'm at a loss on how to resolve this.
Lol, battery apps are generally another load on the battery. The only apps that I found to complement the OS at wakelock management are amplify and greenify. Both need root access to run. Sudden drop in battery level means the battery is cooked, time to replace the battery or the phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3489 posts
471 upvotes
Ontario
will888 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 10:20 pm
Lol, battery apps are generally another load on the battery. The only apps that I found to complement the OS at wakelock management are amplify and greenify. Both need root access to run. Sudden drop in battery level means the battery is cooked, time to replace the battery or the phone.
I took off my case and realized that the battery has expanded and is pushing the back cover off! That explains it. Now I'm wondering where I can buy a Samsung battery replacement that isn't going to be garbage
May 8, 2009
4292 posts
1398 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Slawek wrote:
Jan 16th, 2018 7:56 am
I took off my case and realized that the battery has expanded and is pushing the back cover off! That explains it. Now I'm wondering where I can buy a Samsung battery replacement that isn't going to be garbage
Or explode :lol:

Heck, try eBay, sellers selling anything under the sun there. I bought a battery for a Galaxy Core LTE on eBay and was a hit. You don't have much to lose.