Computers & Electronics

How many DVDs does it require to backup a system image of windows 8?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2012 8:46 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes

How many DVDs does it require to backup a system image of windows 8?

Just bought a new laptop for my aunt. Installed the preloaded windows 8. About to create a system image backup at the moment. It says it "could take up to 26GB of disk space" its because 26gb of the HDD is used. Im just wondering if this is an accurate representation of the size required to backup for system image? I only have 3 dvds at the moment and don't want to start the backup if I require more.
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
do you have a old SATA hdd you aren't using?

If so, clone the laptop hard drive to that sata hdd.

This will probably save you from wasting all the DVDs...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
it is just the OS that i want to backup. The computer is still brand new with nothing on it. I just turned it on and it finished setting up the preloaded windows.

Is it possible to split the drive into multiple partitions now that windows is already on it?

Also I plan to install windows 7 on it instead, that is why i want to back up the windows 8 to have it just in case. Another thing is that the licence key is no longer listed on the bottom of the laptop? Where would i find my licence key if i wanted to reinstall windows 8 in the future if i lost my backup system image?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3580 posts
2985 upvotes
Markham
This link should help: http://www.pcworld.com/article/246040/h ... t_key.html

There is a link to the software to get the key.

If you install Clonezilla, I believe there are options for compression and how to split up data disks. The 26GB is uncompressed, so realistically, with some compression, I expect about 6 DVDs to back it up.

Another option is to partition the drive, and clone the C: to D:, then you can copy that image file to USB or network. I have used GParted in the past. Here is an overview of some free software: http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-free- ... or-windows
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
ok so i just found out that the product key is encrypted into the BIOS on newer laptops that are pre loaded with win8.

If thats the case, all i need to do is have a copy of the windows disc to install and it will auto update from the licence key locked in the bios.

Where do i get a copy of windows 8 from a legitimate site? Im just looking for the software and not any keys/cracked versions. It doesn't seem like microsoft lets you download it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
ok great, nothing is working my way at the moment. I am trying to create a system image on dvds, and it gives me an error message before it even starts backing up...

I get "The drive ccannot find the sector requested. (0x8007001B)"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
There should be a utility to create recovery Discs in the system

Generally with compression it should take 3 - 4 DVDs

The reason you need so many DVDs is the crapware that gets installed with every new system.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2907 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
azncapcom wrote:... "The drive ccannot find the sector requested. (0x8007001B)"
Similar complaint, LINK
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
1228 posts
696 upvotes
mississauga
use clonezilla with an external hdd, very reliable, very quick

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)