Careers

How many job applications vs interviews vs offers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2015 3:51 am
[OP]
Aug 9, 2015
8 posts
Madden, AB

How many job applications vs interviews vs offers?

I've been looking around for the past five months in Calgary and haven't been able to find anything yet so feeling kind of discouraged. I've applied for about 200 jobs, with 10 interviews, 3 seconds and no offers. Although I understand the job market is horrible right now in Alberta due to tanking oil prices, its never taken this long. I'm just curious - what has been the past experience for other people? How many jobs did you apply to versus actual face to face interviews versus job offers (I'm especially curious about other people's experiences during a weak market; obviously it would be different in a good job market)? Thanks
1 reply
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4783 posts
1564 upvotes
Debtario
It's rough, but it's an employer's market out there with no shortage of people who are more experienced or willing to work for less. Keep chipping away and you'll find something eventually, though change up your strategy if it's obviously not working.

I've spent the better part of a year targeting my resume/cover letter and heard nothing back, then this summer I've just been spamming any position with a living wage regardless of qualifications. 2 interviews on jobs I didn't expect to even consider me, but no offers. In one rejection email I was told the position was filled and then noticed it was reposted on the job bank that same afternoon...
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"